Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 22

Thread: equipment discuss about pentax gears and CNS

  1. #1
    Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Location
    biopolis
    Posts
    861

    Default equipment discuss about pentax gears and CNS

    my thread was closed in hours but I still have something to say, so instead another thread there, i open one here as not limited to pentax anymore.
    OP address is here:
    http://www.clubsnap.com/forums/showthread.php?t=734880

    basic point of OP is my complaining on no better quality with high price from pentax, hmm, it was better quality with better price time back so I doubt the pentax is crazy about its market strategy on product lines. I am using pentax mainly
    details pls refer to that thread.

    so in addition to what I have said, my friend (canon user) reminded me in order to "fairly" compare the pentax lenses with canon lenses as did in the thread, basically to compensate the in-body AS from pentax, a sdm equal to usm is a must for pentax lens. so it will be pentax * sdm vs canon L is. so let's limit the comparism within the range that can be directly compared. the price difference is minor and canon a bit high(about 5~10%) based on www.bhphotovideo.com. this is be full size vs cropped DA version. my friend also mention that canon is still better in terms on focus speed and is stops considering both body and lens factors. correct us if this point not accurate.
    add in up together, pentax should be able to produce same quality of lenses at cheaper price with advantages of no IS @ cropped size. how much it will be? 5~10% diff? for an underdog brand?

    another point is that the offering of broader range entry to med level lenses should be a base of a DSLR family, my point of view. can you imagine canon discontinoues all the 35mm models and saying 30mm L is better? or other words, is it important or good to have more choices on non L version of 24/2.8, 28/1.8, 30/1.8 35/2, 50/1.8, 80/1.8 and so on for a product family nowadays? or at least some of them? or directly jump from kit to L or semi L level copies? it's a problem of how much you value this. and I disagree with pentax's strategy.

    no familiar with Nikkors, not think pentax gonna confront CZ from S. there is total war between CNS. sadly to say, pentax was one of them before S came, but now its market being behind even in OPP group.

  2. #2

    Default Re: equipment discuss about pentax gears and CNS

    start a blog, please.

  3. #3
    Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Location
    biopolis
    Posts
    861

    Default Re: equipment discuss about pentax gears and CNS

    link for yours?

    Quote Originally Posted by night86mare View Post
    start a blog, please.

  4. #4

    Default Re: equipment discuss about pentax gears and CNS

    Quote Originally Posted by notone View Post
    link for yours?
    http://www.goats4h.com/Goats.html

  5. #5
    Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Location
    biopolis
    Posts
    861

    Red face Re: equipment discuss about pentax gears and CNS

    admire you can make it
    Quote Originally Posted by night86mare View Post

  6. #6

    Default Re: equipment discuss about pentax gears and CNS

    Seriously dude, Do u have some kind of investment in Pentax? Its just a bloody camera for god sakes!

    If u not happy with how Pentax doin their business then quit it and go for other brands. How much u try rant is of no use. Move on and smell the roses. Dun curse other people but yourself for buying the wrong thing. To each its own, I'm happy with my Pentax and have no complain about it. Photography is not about the brands we use. its the bloody PICTURE we took. Sheesh...wheez...

    U tried in Pentax thread n u failed to change most of us. N now trying it here.
    My Flickr iownthislensthatlensthislensthatlens

  7. #7
    Moderator Octarine's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Pasir Ris
    Posts
    12,389

    Default Re: equipment discuss about pentax gears and CNS

    Quote Originally Posted by notone View Post
    [..]a sdm equal to usm is a must for pentax lens. so it will be pentax * sdm vs canon L is. [...]
    Please note that not all Canon lenses equipped with USM are L class lenses. But, even after reading briefly through your previous thread: what is your point? Maybe you can try to summarize it in 5 lines rather than writing an online novel?
    EOS

  8. #8

    Default Re: equipment discuss about pentax gears and CNS

    Quote Originally Posted by notone View Post
    so in addition to what I have said, my friend (canon user) reminded me in order to "fairly" compare the pentax lenses with canon lenses as did in the thread, basically to compensate the in-body AS from pentax, a sdm equal to usm is a must for pentax lens. so it will be pentax * sdm vs canon L is.
    You and your friend need to stop talking as if you know what you are talking about. There is no link between in-body IS and sdm/usm.
    Alpha

  9. #9
    Senior Member ZerocoolAstra's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    rainy Singapore
    Posts
    9,523

    Default Re: equipment discuss about pentax gears and CNS

    you guys are good...
    I'm reading the first post over and over again, as well as the original one from the Pentax subforum... I don't understand what is being said...
    Exploring! :)

  10. #10
    Senior Member ovaltinemilo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Sin jia Po lah
    Posts
    2,820

    Default Re: equipment discuss about pentax gears and CNS

    TS, I can only advise that pricing considers alot of factors and your comparison on "have"s and "have-not"s between lenses is just a small part as you left out factors like glass manufacturing precision etc.

    Bottomline is, many Pentax lovers love their cams and lenses...however, if you are really not happy using Pentax, there's a BnS here...jump the boat if you need to coz Pentax surely have their own business strategy and won't steer their boat because of your rant..

    cheers
    ...:::..::.Nikon.::.:::..
    RGB Metering & Focusing.

  11. #11

    Default Re: equipment discuss about pentax gears and CNS

    Quote Originally Posted by ZerocoolAstra View Post
    you guys are good...
    I'm reading the first post over and over again, as well as the original one from the Pentax subforum... I don't understand what is being said...
    I am not too sure either, but I think TS is trying to say that for prime lenses in the 35mm 1.8F and 50mm 1.8F category. Pentax charges very high prices $500 + as compared to Nikon and Canon, where for both companies lenses cost about $180 - $350. (One thing good about Nikon or Canon, whatever lens or price Canon has Nikon will also make or match and whatever Nikon has Canon will also make or match because they are on a total war) Then I think someone made TS angry and he went on to compare that the lens built are of the same quality as the other brands. Ok this point I concide that with no IS in all the lenses and the lenses could be made in vietnam, (Nikon 50mm is made in china) I do not know the reason why Pentax 50mm cost like 50% more than Nikon or Canon, but seriously the difference is only in that category, the rest are about the same. At that price it makes the Pentax 50mm lens a less attractive option. I will be looking at the 41mm limited or even the pan cake lenses which I don't think other manufacturers even have.

    So Pentax is different, they think differently from American companies, but mindset is very Japanese. They are happy not to participate in the C and N war. Strength of Pentax as compared to other C, S or N brands are the bodies, the entry level Pentax allows you to leapfrog 2 bodies up for C and N, and even more for S. The other strength is the kit lens which they develop with Tokina using Hoya materials, supposed to be best and strongest in the class. And the kit package offered by Pentax is one of the best out there. That is why so many people now paying attention to KX. But one thing about Pentax, is that you have to seek it out in the world of Nikon and Canon. I would never had bothered about Pentax had I not seen someone on TV using the Pentax to photograph dangerous wildlife, and getting such great shots, using only film SLRs. (becos the wildlife presenter felt the envrionment is too hazardous for digital cams to have survived) Then after I entered the Pentax forum, I like the colors. Don't know why Pentax is so hard to find. See yesterdays digital life about the article for DSLR vs compacts for newbies, the editor is the one that is supposed to seek out good buys and technological advancements anywhere instead of the usual, instead they only print the CSN brands, like that he or she is doing a diservice to the readers. So I feel that if Pentax marketing want to follow New Balance, then they should follow them closely, must start to sponsor events strategically, and try to get their foot in the door of young users, like u see how new balance is on alot of NS men feet.


    Someone make the TS even more angry then he said Pentax is sort of crazy and the company will be threatened. But seriously, you know how big Hoya is, they can afford to keep Pentax. They probably make more money sell gun scopes and optics to the military contracts. And like Sony, they can afford to keep a product line going for 10 years even if they loose money (eg their sony walkman vs the IPOD, situation is quite bad but they still continue) cos their company philosophy is to continue with good products which they feel the can develop and not cut their products anytime like some whitegood.
    Last edited by ammonite; 29th July 2010 at 10:15 AM.

  12. #12

    Default Re: equipment discuss about pentax gears and CNS

    Quote Originally Posted by ZerocoolAstra View Post
    you guys are good...
    I'm reading the first post over and over again, as well as the original one from the Pentax subforum... I don't understand what is being said...
    i summarise for you

    "pentax sucks, i need people to agree with me"

  13. #13

    Default Re: equipment discuss about pentax gears and CNS

    whether pentax sucks or not.. why does the TS bother so much about it... if you dun like, dun buy. plain and simple.

    btw i was a canon user, i used 2 canon pns before. but having done homework etc, i opted for pentax kx as my first dslr over canon 550d. so what if pentax doesn't have a huge market share? i can't be bothered with all these stats. to me, more important is it's a good camera that takes quality photos.

  14. #14

    Default Re: equipment discuss about pentax gears and CNS

    Quote Originally Posted by notone View Post
    my thread was closed in hours but I still have something to say, so instead another thread there, i open one here as not limited to pentax anymore.
    OP address is here:
    http://www.clubsnap.com/forums/showthread.php?t=734880

    basic point of OP is my complaining on no better quality with high price from pentax, hmm, it was better quality with better price time back so I doubt the pentax is crazy about its market strategy on product lines. I am using pentax mainly
    details pls refer to that thread.

    so in addition to what I have said, my friend (canon user) reminded me in order to "fairly" compare the pentax lenses with canon lenses as did in the thread, basically to compensate the in-body AS from pentax, a sdm equal to usm is a must for pentax lens. so it will be pentax * sdm vs canon L is. so let's limit the comparism within the range that can be directly compared. the price difference is minor and canon a bit high(about 5~10%) based on www.bhphotovideo.com. this is be full size vs cropped DA version. my friend also mention that canon is still better in terms on focus speed and is stops considering both body and lens factors. correct us if this point not accurate.
    add in up together, pentax should be able to produce same quality of lenses at cheaper price with advantages of no IS @ cropped size. how much it will be? 5~10% diff? for an underdog brand?

    another point is that the offering of broader range entry to med level lenses should be a base of a DSLR family, my point of view. can you imagine canon discontinoues all the 35mm models and saying 30mm L is better? or other words, is it important or good to have more choices on non L version of 24/2.8, 28/1.8, 30/1.8 35/2, 50/1.8, 80/1.8 and so on for a product family nowadays? or at least some of them? or directly jump from kit to L or semi L level copies? it's a problem of how much you value this. and I disagree with pentax's strategy.

    no familiar with Nikkors, not think pentax gonna confront CZ from S. there is total war between CNS. sadly to say, pentax was one of them before S came, but now its market being behind even in OPP group.
    why not just silenty do a switch to save u a lot hassle and finger typing..
    头可断,血可流,倩女不可不追求 carpe diem,when in doubt, hoot first,apologise later:p GALLERY

  15. #15
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Still wondering where I belong
    Posts
    3,434

    Default Re: equipment discuss about pentax gears and CNS

    what is CNS ?... is CNS = KNS = kana sai ?
    Gallery|Baby gallery
    I have become an expert in cleaning poo

  16. #16
    Senior Member ZerocoolAstra's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    rainy Singapore
    Posts
    9,523

    Default Re: equipment discuss about pentax gears and CNS

    Quote Originally Posted by night86mare View Post
    i summarise for you

    "pentax sucks, i need people to agree with me"
    mmmmm.... then I would have to disagree...
    Exploring! :)

  17. #17

    Default Re: equipment discuss about pentax gears and CNS

    Quote Originally Posted by flowerpot View Post
    what is CNS ?... is CNS = KNS = kana sai ?
    canon, nikon,sony....
    头可断,血可流,倩女不可不追求 carpe diem,when in doubt, hoot first,apologise later:p GALLERY

  18. #18
    Senior Member ZerocoolAstra's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    rainy Singapore
    Posts
    9,523

    Default Re: equipment discuss about pentax gears and CNS

    Quote Originally Posted by flowerpot View Post
    what is CNS ?... is CNS = KNS = kana sai ?
    i'm guessing it's Canon-Nikon-Sony...

    but the acronyms being thrown left right and center, goodness knows what the TS is talking about. They're all english words, but I think a lot of them aren't english sentences
    read until headache...
    Exploring! :)

  19. #19

    Default Re: equipment discuss about pentax gears and CNS

    Quote Originally Posted by ZerocoolAstra View Post
    i'm guessing it's Canon-Nikon-Sony...

    but the acronyms being thrown left right and center, goodness knows what the TS is talking about. They're all english words, but I think a lot of them aren't english sentences
    read until headache...
    I think juz let TS vent the frustration out. We shall juz close one eye and one ear. Let's continue with our stuff..
    Nikkon D90 | AF-S NIKKOR 18-105mm 1:35-5.6G | DI866 External Flashlight | AF-S NIKKOR 50mm f/1.4G

  20. #20

    Default Re: equipment discuss about pentax gears and CNS

    Gear discussions are fun to discuss , but only at the point where we are all familiar with the pros and cons of each bodies and systems.

    I can only say that , gears have limitations but we can also improvise and work around those limitations.

    One practical reason why lens are more expensive could be : They sold you their body cheap ??

    Zero sum game ma , they sell you the body , and then recoup the margin from the lens.

    So this is merely pricing strategies and business models for each firms thats all .
    Alpha and Omega

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •