Results 1 to 8 of 8

Thread: anybody knows how to deliver goods to aussie

  1. #1
    Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Location
    Does not matter
    Posts
    141

    Smile anybody knows how to deliver goods to aussie

    Hi All,

    I will live in Melbourne next June and i need to bring my personal goods.
    Anybody know a budget and reliable forwarder to deliver my goods overthere?

    I am looking to send the goods through sea because is alot cheaper than through air.

    My goods weight about 450 at most in +/- 15 boxes.

    Thanks for the help guys.

  2. #2
    Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    singapore
    Posts
    228

    Default

    wow. that's 450 what? KG?

    i'll check with my friend and i'll pm you again.

    but if it's really 450KG...i suggest you reconsider about the load.
    alota stuff can be bought in melbourne as well.

  3. #3
    Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Location
    Does not matter
    Posts
    141

    Default how to deliver

    it is +/-450kg.

    Understand your point. But the culprit which make the weight very heavy is my books n my hifi.

    Appreciate your help bro.

  4. #4
    Member patch17's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Location
    here and there
    Posts
    728

    Default

    hi,

    i'm in the process of doing the same thing. i'm moving my family to Perth, and we're bringing over some personal items.

    if you're sending the stuff by sea, the weight is not a problem, they'll change you by volume. i'm sending over approx. 250 cubic feet (about 7 - 7.5 cubic metres) of stuff and i'm getting quotes in the region of S$3.5K - S$3.9K, this excludes custom taxes, fumigation and insurance. it's door to door delivery in about 4 weeks.

    if your stuff is not enough to fill a container, you can opt to "share" one with others. this'll save you money, but be prepared to wait upto 2 or 3 months, depending on how soon they can fill the container for shipping.

    some guys you can check out are - Allied Pickfords, Crown, K.C. Dat, UCT - Family Movers.
    Today is a gift; that's why it's called the present.
    The toys

  5. #5
    Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    HOME
    Posts
    306

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by patch17
    hi,

    i'm in the process of doing the same thing. i'm moving my family to Perth, and we're bringing over some personal items.

    if you're sending the stuff by sea, the weight is not a problem, they'll change you by volume. i'm sending over approx. 250 cubic feet (about 7 - 7.5 cubic metres) of stuff and i'm getting quotes in the region of S$3.5K - S$3.9K, this excludes custom taxes, fumigation and insurance. it's door to door delivery in about 4 weeks.

    if your stuff is not enough to fill a container, you can opt to "share" one with others. this'll save you money, but be prepared to wait upto 2 or 3 months, depending on how soon they can fill the container for shipping.

    some guys you can check out are - Allied Pickfords, Crown, K.C. Dat, UCT - Family Movers.
    I am also interested to know more.....for your case, does it fill up the whole container? Is it cheaper if you can fill the whole container instead of sharing (cheaper as in the rate per cubic feet/metre)

  6. #6
    Member patch17's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Location
    here and there
    Posts
    728

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by pcwe68
    I am also interested to know more.....for your case, does it fill up the whole container? Is it cheaper if you can fill the whole container instead of sharing (cheaper as in the rate per cubic feet/metre)
    a 20ft container is about 1000 cubic ft. so my stuff only fills 1/4 of that.

    as i mentioned, going the sea route will depend on the volume of stuff you're shipping. the bigger the volume, the less you pay per cubic metre. they quoted me in the region of S$13.50 - S$14.50 per cubic ft. it'd be less if i was shipping a bigger load. i guess since they ship by the container load, the shipping charges remain the same whether or not you've got a full container.

    if you want to share a container, the shipping charges will be divided among the people sharing. this'll bring the unit price per cubic ft down. (one company quoted me S$2.5K if i took this option.)
    Today is a gift; that's why it's called the present.
    The toys

  7. #7
    Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Location
    Does not matter
    Posts
    141

    Default

    Hi patch17,

    You must have a lot of stuff to bring down there. One company quotes me all my goods only 3CBM which is very few only.

    What i am interested to know is how much do you pay in Australia for custom (tax clearance)and fumigation ?

    Do i need to declare my goods undervalued in order to make the customs duties low because all my goods is used not brand new.

  8. #8
    Member patch17's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Location
    here and there
    Posts
    728

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by sismic
    Hi patch17,

    You must have a lot of stuff to bring down there. One company quotes me all my goods only 3CBM which is very few only.

    What i am interested to know is how much do you pay in Australia for custom (tax clearance)and fumigation ?

    Do i need to declare my goods undervalued in order to make the customs duties low because all my goods is used not brand new.
    you can check with the movers on how to declare your goods. but normally custom is not borne by the movers, the price will be determined on aussie side.

    as for fumigation, i got one mover telling me it's better to fumigate here before shipping, price is cheaper about S$150, where as if it's done in australia, you're looking at AU$450. other movers suggest that fumigation be done in australia though. reason being is that they may not be happy with fumigation job done here and ask to be redone over there. really depends on the custom people.
    Today is a gift; that's why it's called the present.
    The toys

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •