Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Sports Photography: Anyone interested to join this interest Group?

Blog Entries

Default Re: Sports Photography: Anyone interested to join this interest Group?

whatever the genre you are shooting in, whats of value to others are your images not your equiptment

try your best to use and enhance that value .....
    shaddap and just shoot .... up close
    Walkeast

Quote Originally Posted by Danntbt View Post
    Jed's input, he seems to be based in UK? So I guess the 2012 Olympics would be just anotehr event which one need not be too excited about. So you would pass the chance to shoot it?
    Two different facets to my answer.

[1] In the interests of honesty, the Olympics is my dream, in a sense. It's the one thing I haven't shot that I do want to shoot. So you've picked a special case for me. If it was the World Cup for example, then the answer would be quite different... don't care don't give a stuff.

[2] Having said that, I would still only shoot the Olympics if (1) I was getting paid, or (2) I was doing it for someone on spec. I would never agree to shoot for someone for nothing just so they could get pictures from me for free. So in that sense, the advice I've been doling out still stands. The fact that I want to shoot it means that it is one of the few things I would shoot on spec, but that's very different from shooting for someone in exchange for access.

Agree, I am sure one can shoot great pictures in games at any level, just as one can watch great games at any level. So I wonder why people pay lots of money for the premier league games or the world cup?
    You can't equate the two, I'm afraid. Watching bigger games gets you bigger names (like I said, nothing wrong with wanting to shoot the stars to name check), and arguably more entertaining games with more eyecatching skill. Neither of those two apply to stills photography directly. A pulsating 3-3 draw is not necessarily any better for photography than the dullest 0-0 draw on the planet. Goal and cele pictures aside. You're also equally as likely to get a 3-3 watching a World Cup game (were there any in South Africa?) as in the English Premier League as you are in the S-League and a local park game. The best action pictures don't tend to be of skill - a Ronaldo stepover looks distinctly boring for example. The best action can come from a 0-0 game. You come out of some games thinking, there just wasn't any action at all, and you come out of others with a boatload.

I can state from my experience that there is no difference photographically, aside from your big names, from the average Premier League game, Championship game, League One game and League Two game. If anything the lower down you go, sure the game's more fractured, but people dive into tackles more. That photographs well. Spain stringing 20 passes together doesn't.

Likewise, you can shoot great bird pictures at the bird park, why bother to go into the wild to look for them.
    Actually I had a long discussion on another forum about this from a philosophical standpoint.

But your analogy is again not appropriate... what we're discussing here is more akin to, you can get pictures of a common bird, why bother getting pictures of a rarer bird that doesn't look any better? It's because you want the rare bird; like in this case, as I've said, you want pictures of the big names. That's fine, all I'm saying is that you don't necessarily get better pictures by photographing the big names. And in many ways, you don't necessarily get better pictures in the bird park either.

In fact all the bird park gives you is better access. And as I've been arguing, you'll get better access at amateur level events.

in short, would there be strings attached if SSC were to allow access for the SIG? Be it YOG or any other event.

Its not easy been a sport photography... the job deserve good payment. FOC job is not the way....

As I mentioned, I would let this run for all to air their views, but would you engaged and pay someone before first finding out if he is capable of doing a good job at as many has said a demanding genre. I think some of you are now arguing for arguing sake so I do not think it serve anyone any purpose to let this continue. As said the initiative is non-contractual except for some images in return, you can step in or out anytime, unlike what some seem to put it that make it sounds like slave labour. I already have my numbers, so thanks for all your input on this. As for equipment, those who think it is not essential might just want to try shooting a football match with his 18-55 kit lens....or birds in the wild....
    Last edited by Danntbt; 29th July 2010 at 05:42 AM.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12