Page 9 of 19 FirstFirst ... 4789101114 ... LastLast

Thread: [SunChasersSG] Newbie Outing (Part 15) - Clarke Quay Sunrise 7/8/2010 Discussion

Default Re: [SunChasersSG] Newbie Outing (Part 15) - Clarke Quay Sunrise 7/8/2010 Discussion

Quote Originally Posted by ZerocoolAstra View Post
    Well, DD123 explained quite clearly to johnbosco that he has placed himself wrongly on the list.

To me, the enthusiasm is there but the english is weak, and hence he'll be a big burden to everyone at the outing.
    I don't wanna sound elitist, but if we make our lives so difficult to teach someone, it's not only not fair to the rest (coz he'll probably be hogging a lot of time), but also not fair to the seniors (who wanna have a relaxing time sharing info and chit-chatting as well).

We're all doing this for free, so we wanna have an enjoyable time as well...
    Ok, i'm now receiving a LOT of PMs from him now. His english seems ok, understandable, can communicate, it's his spelling that is weak. Certainly, he's the ultimate newbie.
    Vision is more important than gear

Default Re: [SunChasersSG] Newbie Outing (Part 15) - Clarke Quay Sunrise 7/8/2010 Discussion

Quote Originally Posted by johnbosco View Post
    dear dd brother after ghaz told me to scroll over da 3rd page i came to know to copy and paste .... if u forgive dis time i wont repeat it again
    that's what you said too, when I told you not to PM people and ask for what settings they used.

and you replied "sorrrriiii"...
    and what did you do?
    you PM even more people!

so you obviously don't understand the instructions.
    so how do you expect us to believe that you won't do it again?

really, please... go and sign up for some photography courses, then you can ask questions to your heart's content since you've paid for their time and they HAVE to teach you.
    You've already annoyed the seniors in this outing. I don't think anyone wants to teach you on that day, so what's the point of turning up?
    Exploring! :)

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by johnbosco View Post
    dear dd brother after ghaz told me to scroll over da 3rd page i came to know to copy and paste .... if u forgive dis time i wont repeat it again
    I am sorry dude. From all these mistakes, it really goes to show you are not a right fit for this outing. You need 100% attention that only a one-on-one lesson can achieve.

If you are willing to pay for a one-on-one lesson. I would be glad to provide that service to you. Please PM me for my rates.

Quote Originally Posted by daredevil123 View Post

If he pays for my time, I will gladly guide him 1 on 1.
    HOLD that thought!

Quote Originally Posted by Ghaz1 View Post
    Ok, i'm now receiving a LOT of PMs from him now. His english seems ok, understandable, can communicate, it's his spelling that is weak. Certainly, he's the ultimate newbie.
    which means he can't even understand my simple PM reply to him last week.
    I said "if you have any questions, please post in the Newbies Corner of the forum, instead of sending PMs to people"

and he replied "sorrriiii"

Quote Originally Posted by daredevil123 View Post
    If you are willing to pay for a one-on-one lesson. I would be glad to provide that service to you. Please PM me for my rates.
    DD, could you PM me your rates? He is interested.

which means he can't even understand my simple PM reply to him last week.
    I said "if you have any questions, please post in the Newbies Corner of the forum, instead of sending PMs to people"

and he replied "sorrriiii"
    Yup, it took me a few PMs to direct him here. Don't want him to be the cause of our Outings thread being closed for over OT.

mine is $50/hr...
    DD123 and NNB is $200/hr

mine is $50/hr...
    DD123 and NNB is $200/hr
    You mean NNB is so affordable leh?

$200 to molest his equipment for 1 hr!!!

OK, that just didn't sound right! LOL!!!

AHA! See, our protege has at least managed to learn some proper netiquette and has successfully, signed up for Cleon's outing without any mistakes!!!

Blog Entries

I did not block his PM mah. Ask him to PM me lor.

Actually I might as well say here. My rates for personal 1-on-1 guidance is:

Each session first hour $80, $60/hr after or part thereof. Minimum time per session 1 hour. I will provide notes and handouts.

Trainee has to bring his own camera, lens(es) tripod (compulsory). Recommended things to bring, 2 or more axis spirit level, rectangular slotted filters setup.

Rates subject to change.
    Last edited by daredevil123; 31st July 2010 at 11:34 AM.

Done, let him know already. He really wants to be DD's student and protege. When he gets better, can remove the ban on him.

Hopefully this interesting episode leads to a win-win situation for everyone. And i'm late, for my trip to Funan to get my UWA lens!!! Supposed to be there by 11am when the shops open!

Blog Entries

Done, let him know already. He really wants to be DD's student and protege. When he gets better, can remove the ban on him.

Hopefully this interesting episode leads to a win-win situation for everyone. And i'm late, for my trip to Funan to get my UWA lens!!! Supposed to be there by 11am when the shops open!
    BBB

the bridge is curved for height across the puny/pathetic "river", hence it looks like pincushion distortion. In fact the lens has been tested to exhibit barrel at almost all focal lengths.
    Har? The link is pointing to the Tamron lens, you know? For Nikkor 10-24mm the barrel exists between 10 (pronounced) -14 (very slight) I think. The rest is pretty straight. Mai luan luan lai leh?

Here's the Nikkor linkie.
    Last edited by kriegsketten; 31st July 2010 at 12:11 PM.
    Myflickr | Zoom in for the KILL!

Is there a very slight pin-cushioning at the bottom of the picture?
    Like ZCA said, it's the bridge fooling your eyes. There should be a barrel instead. It's a crappy picture anyway - I didn't bother to straighten the horizon coz I wanted to illustrate how big the angle is (top to bottom). It's better than all other lenses of its class.. coz the barrel ends at 14-15mm.. the rest is very negligible pin cushion...

Quote Originally Posted by kriegsketten View Post
    Like ZCA said, it's the bridge fooling your eyes. There should be a barrel instead. It's a crappy picture anyway - I didn't bother to straighten the horizon coz I wanted to illustrate how big the angle is (top to bottom). It's better than all other lenses of its class.. coz the barrel ends at 14-15mm.. the rest is very negligible pin cushion...
    Ah yess! Very nice range. You get what you pay for i suppose.

As for me, i couldn't get to Funan coz the carpark full, then realise today was NDP rehearsal so road closure started at 1pm. Many interesting things to shoot but was forced to go off as i had another meeting by then. Looks like can only get my uwa tomorrow.

Ah yess! Very nice range. You get what you pay for i suppose.

As for me, i couldn't get to Funan coz the carpark full, then realise today was NDP rehearsal so road closure started at 1pm. Many interesting things to shoot but was forced to go off as i had another meeting by then. Looks like can only get my uwa tomorrow.
    The delay maybe a good thing - gives you time to ponder again about what you really need...

For me I've been in a mind-boggling state for more than a week to decide between all the UWAs available... Alas it boils down to Nikon's 10-24mm and Tokina's 11-16mm... Both has got serious strengths and are good lenses. I removed Nikon's 12-24mm when I went down to NSC for some serious testing. Firstly, the angle isn't as wide 99 deg versus 10-24mm's 109... Secondly 12-24mm pricing (new ones) is much higher than the 10-24, just because of the gold ring and f/4?? Build-wise, I've held both in my hands - not much differences (at least to me). In terms of wideness - the 10-24 wins hands down - my jaw dropped when I compared the images of the same thing...Whereas, Tokina has great f/2.8 aperture, but is limited by range (strickly UWA) and compounded by build quality issues (sounds like a gamble). You need to know how to check for '"sharpness", something I can't trust myself to do so... Plus 10-24 has ED elements, whereas Tokina is known for flaring issues against strong light (you need to know when and how to overcome the situation)... Photozone has no 11-16mm review but IIRC, KRW states that the distortions are there (almost across the whole stretch)... again, another gamble... Not at all an issue if you use it purely for landscapes. But for sure, the Tokina will win with indoor shoots and low-light situations, especially if hand-held.

Also, I'm not a "must have new only" person. In fact I've been waiting for it (N10-24) in the B n S section, but it seems everyone is gluing to their copies, though 12-24 has shown up quite a few times at VERY good prices... Hence... I reluctantly went for the 10-24mm (not cheap!!!) but the results are stunning... and now I know why no one wants to release theirs...
    Last edited by kriegsketten; 31st July 2010 at 03:22 PM.

The delay maybe a good thing - gives you time to ponder again about what you really need...

For me I've been in a mind-boggling state for more than a week to decide between all the UWAs available... Alas it boils down to Nikon's 10-24mm and Tokina's 11-16mm... Both has got serious strengths and are good lenses. I removed Nikon's 12-24mm when I went down to NSC for some serious testing. Firstly, the angle isn't as wide 99 deg versus 10-24mm's 109... Secondly 12-24mm pricing (new ones) is much higher than the 10-24, just because of the gold ring and f/4?? Build-wise, I've held both in my hands - not much differences (at least to me). In terms of wideness - the 10-24 wins hands down - my jaw dropped when I compared the images of the same thing...Whereas, Tokina has great f/2.8 aperture, but is limited by range (strickly UWA) and compounded by build quality issues (sounds like a gamble). You need to know how to check for '"sharpness", something I can't trust myself to do so... Plus 10-24 has ED elements, whereas Tokina is known for flaring issues against strong light (you need to know when and how to overcome the situation)... Photozone has no 11-16mm review but IIRC, KRW states that the distortions are there (almost across the whole stretch)... again, another gamble... Not at all an issue if you use it purely for landscapes. But for sure, the Tokina will win with indoor shoots and low-light situations, especially if hand-held.

Also, I'm not a "must have new only" person. In fact I've been waiting for it (N10-24) in the B n S section, but it seems everyone is gluing to their copies, though 12-24 has shown up quite a few times at VERY good prices... Hence... I reluctantly went for the 10-24mm (not cheap!!!) but the results are stunning... and now I know why no one wants to release theirs...
    OK, you must work for Nikon's marketing department! Certainly very convincing. I've more or less decided on the Tamron without handling it yet mainly because of the price difference. I think it's half the price of the Nikkor? But you've made me think twice. I'll just have to let budget constraits decide the issue it seems.

Hope to see more of your shots with the Nikkor 10-24.

OK, you must work for Nikon's marketing department! Certainly very convincing. I've more or less decided on the Tamron without handling it yet mainly because of the price difference. I think it's half the price of the Nikkor? But you've made me think twice. I'll just have to let budget constraits decide the issue it seems.

Hope to see more of your shots with the Nikkor 10-24.
    I'm going to definitely shoot more with it!

Nope, I don't work for Nikon ... but maybe it's because I look from a different perspective - I don't really want to narrow down the use of a lens. I want it to be able to shoot natural landscapes and also architectures (hence distortion issues will disturb me). 10-24mm is not perfect, but at least I don't have to worry for the longer range distortions. And at 24mm I might still be able to shoot normal pictures. I'm buying for the versatility of it - I don't want to end up having to spend $$ for another lens if suddenly I need something from 20-24mm..

I'm going to definitely shoot more with it!

Nope, I don't work for Nikon ... but maybe it's because I look from a different perspective - I don't really want to narrow down the use of a lens. I want it to be able to shoot natural landscapes and also architectures (hence distortion issues will disturb me). 10-24mm is not perfect, but at least I don't have to worry for the longer range distortions. And at 24mm I might still be able to shoot normal pictures. I'm buying for the versatility of it - I don't want to end up having to spend $$ for another lens if suddenly I need something from 20-24mm..
    Yes, that's why the 11-16 and even 10-20mm is out for me. 24-35mm(35mm equivalent) is the sweet spot for street photography so the 10-24mm covers that range well. I don't intend to use it strictly for landscape, but a bit of events shooting too and lots of street shooting. From what i've read, although the Tamron has distortions throughout its range, the distortions are below 2% which is almost negligible especially in real life use.

BTW, Ortega the mod uses this lens i think. Saw his pics. No distortions at all. Basically must know how to use it.

http://www.clubsnap.com/forums/showthread.php?p=4710545
    Last edited by Ghaz1; 31st July 2010 at 04:27 PM.

Page 9 of 19 FirstFirst ... 4789101114 ... LastLast