Page 8 of 19 FirstFirst ... 36789101318 ... LastLast

Thread: [SunChasersSG] Newbie Outing (Part 15) - Clarke Quay Sunrise 7/8/2010 Discussion

Blog Entries

Default Re: [SunChasersSG] Newbie Outing (Part 15) - Clarke Quay Sunrise 7/8/2010 Discussion

Quote Originally Posted by Ghaz1 View Post
    Nikon Mount. Was considering the new Singma 8-16 until i saw you wallop the lens at the Sigma thread! LOL!!! But i agree also la, for that range, sure most want to shoot landscape with it and with landscape, comes all sort of filters. Very bad handicap if cannot use filters.

I need something that can shoot events as well, hence a bit of range is good so considering the Sigma 10-20mm HSM or the newer Tamron 10-24mm which is faster and less distortion according to reviews. From 24mm-35mm(35mm equivalent) is sweet spot for my street photography as well. Quite surprise that the Tamron is not more popular. If i get new, i will open up a thread on it with pictures. Most probably from this outing!
    Or you can do it like Ruey Loon. Go 2 body, FX + 24/1.2 and DX + 50/1.4

Default Re: [SunChasersSG] Newbie Outing (Part 15) - Clarke Quay Sunrise 7/8/2010 Discussion

Nikon Mount. Was considering the new Singma 8-16 until i saw you wallop the lens at the Sigma thread! LOL!!! But i agree also la, for that range, sure most want to shoot landscape with it and with landscape, comes all sort of filters. Very bad handicap if cannot use filters.

I need something that can shoot events as well, hence a bit of range is good so considering the Sigma 10-20mm HSM or the newer Tamron 10-24mm which is faster and less distortion according to reviews. From 24mm-35mm(35mm equivalent) is sweet spot for my street photography as well. Quite surprise that the Tamron is not more popular. If i get new, i will open up a thread on it with pictures. Most probably from this outing!
    For the price you pay, the Tamron looks and feels rather cheaply-made, hence my reluctance to get it. That was my #1 draft pick when I was looking for a UWA, but after handling it and the Tokinas, I was instantly sold
    For me, it's a toss-up between the 12-24 and 11-16 from Tokina. It's a more useful zoom range (in my opinion) vs improved sharpness and speed.
    Exploring! :)

Heeheehee... Nikon 10-24mm! Mai tu liao!!

Above shot at the widest. I've went to NSC to test both the 10-24 and 12-24... the angle difference is VERY substantial!...
    Last edited by kriegsketten; 31st July 2010 at 02:04 AM.
    Myflickr | Zoom in for the KILL!

oh... Nikkor har?
    I thought you got the Tamron or the Sigma 109 degrees was the clue 10mm widest!

heheheh I'll stick with my 12-24 thank you...

Quote Originally Posted by ZerocoolAstra View Post
    For the price you pay, the Tamron looks and feels rather cheaply-made, hence my reluctance to get it. That was my #1 draft pick when I was looking for a UWA, but after handling it and the Tokinas, I was instantly sold
    For me, it's a toss-up between the 12-24 and 11-16 from Tokina. It's a more useful zoom range (in my opinion) vs improved sharpness and speed.
    Where did you go to handle the Tamron? How much was it?

So the Tokinas have improved sharpness and speed? Which did you wind up getting?
    Vision is more important than gear

Quote Originally Posted by kriegsketten View Post
    Heeheehee... Nikon 10-24mm! Mai tu liao!!

Above shot at the widest. I've went to NSC to test both the 10-24 and 12-24... the angle difference is VERY substantial!...
    Is there a very slight pin-cushioning at the bottom of the picture?

Where did you go to handle the Tamron? How much was it?

So the Tokinas have improved sharpness and speed? Which did you wind up getting?
    I asked nicely at MS Color
    I think it was about 820-840, can't remember exactly... sorry bro.
    Actually the service center for Tamron is quite near my office, at Changi North Business Park. I wonder if they have demo sets there

Is there a very slight pin-cushioning at the bottom of the picture?
    the bridge is curved for height across the puny/pathetic "river", hence it looks like pincushion distortion. In fact the lens has been tested to exhibit barrel at almost all focal lengths.

How much damage was your Tokina 12-24 then?

How much damage was your Tokina 12-24 then?
    2nd hand 5xx..... shhh, cannot say in case I wanna sell it off at a profit

Quote Originally Posted by daredevil123 View Post
    Or you can do it like Ruey Loon. Go 2 body, FX + 24/1.2 and DX + 50/1.4
    [faint]

2nd hand 5xx..... shhh, cannot say in case I wanna sell it off at a profit
    Wah! Good price. At least won't be at a loss when you sell. That's the attraction of buying second hand. Think i'll go visit the B&S section one last time before i go and get new.

Hey Guys,

I hope you are ok with JB joining this outing. I put him in the reserves where he should be coz got a PM from him requesting for help. I think he is genuinely blur about these matters.

Blog Entries

Thanks for trying to help Ghaz1. But I have decided to ban him from all SunChasers' activities.

He has been PMing all the seniors so much that it borders on harrassment. And after explaining to him 2 times why, he still comes in and messes up the sign up list. Not a person that will listen to instructions. He will be bothering the seniors non stop and affect the other newbies. That is why I made that decision.

Hey Guys,

I hope you are ok with JB joining this outing. I put him in the reserves where he should be coz got a PM from him requesting for help. I think he is genuinely blur about these matters.
    Oppps, seems he has been banned already.

Blog Entries

Oppps, seems he has been banned already.
    Bro, I gave him too many chances already. Simple thing like that he cannot do it properly. I think he would be next to impossible to coach as well...

They say you can read people from the little things....

Quote Originally Posted by daredevil123 View Post
    Thanks for trying to help Ghaz1. But I have decided to ban him from all SunChasers' activities.

He has been PMing all the seniors so much that it borders on harrassment. And after explaining to him 2 times why, he still comes in and messes up the sign up list. Not a person that will listen to instructions. He will be bothering the seniors non stop and affect the other newbies. That is why I made that decision.
    Yes DD, you have the right to do so. He just seems the rather "simple" sort and perhaps lacking in EQ but certainly looks like an enthusiastic learner. He's new to CS so doesn't know that he must press the [LAST] page button to see the finalised list which is why he keeps copying the first page i think.

Yes DD, you have the right to do so. He just seems the rather "simple" sort and perhaps lacking in EQ but certainly looks like an enthusiastic learner. He's new to CS so doesn't know that he must press the [LAST] page button to see the finalised list which is why he keeps copying the first page i think.
    Well, DD123 explained quite clearly to johnbosco that he has placed himself wrongly on the list.

To me, the enthusiasm is there but the english is weak, and hence he'll be a big burden to everyone at the outing.
    I don't wanna sound elitist, but if we make our lives so difficult to teach someone, it's not only not fair to the rest (coz he'll probably be hogging a lot of time), but also not fair to the seniors (who wanna have a relaxing time sharing info and chit-chatting as well).

We're all doing this for free, so we wanna have an enjoyable time as well...

He will keep asking what is right setting, like there's a magic number to use everytime

Blog Entries

Well, DD123 explained quite clearly to johnbosco that he has placed himself wrongly on the list.
    Ghaz1 bro, not only did I explain very clearly to him, I explained very clearly to him twice. If he cannot get it from clear written English twice, I doubt he would be benefitting much from this outing. And he will definitely be a huge burden to the group, and this will be very unfair to the rest of the newbies there.

This is volunteer work. We, as guides, have to keep it efficient as possible, so that newbies will be able to absorb as much as possible in about 45 minutes of the sunrise.

If he pays for my time, I will gladly guide him 1 on 1.

Page 8 of 19 FirstFirst ... 36789101318 ... LastLast