Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Help needed!!! Taking photo at ROM!!

Default Re: Help needed!!! Taking photo at ROM!!

Quote Originally Posted by hartzdevil View Post
    I was kena arrow by them cos they did not want to engage any photographer.
    This one the most jia lat kind. I'm lucky I don't have many friends who assume just coz I have a DSLR and I take okay pics, that I can automatically be wedding shooter, but I can relate to that.

Sometimes still kena arrow to covering things like company dinner and events, but those not as critical and stressful as covering a wedding event.

No problem.

Note:

1. The ring exchange please, very important.
    2. White balance.
    3. Composition.
    4. Decorations.
    5. How to wear rings.
    6. How to tie rings on ring pillow.
    7. Group photos after the ceremony.
    8. The friends will mingle and good opportunity to take shots that you can practice.
    9. Signing of certificate, practice on your speed, got 5 ppl will sign.
    10. Try out different light source.
    11. Batteries and extra bodies, lens, flash and cards.
    12. Talk to the videographer if have one, so that easier to work together.
    13. When outdoor, use different lens for different feel, trial and error.
    14. When groom kisses the bride, please ensure you stand correct place, normally will talk to the couple before ceremony to ensure that.

Good Luck.
    Eat breath LIVERPOOL!!!

Quote Originally Posted by fotoudavid View Post
    No problem.

Note:

2. White balance.
    3. Composition.
    4. Decorations.
    5. How to wear rings.
    8. The friends will mingle and good opportunity to take shots that you can practice.
    14. When groom kisses the bride, please ensure you stand correct place, normally will talk to the couple before ceremony to ensure that.

Good Luck.
    Thanks for ur advice. I appreciated it.
    JUST KEEP SHOOTING

No problem.

Note:

2. White balance.
    3. Composition.
    4. Decorations.
    5. How to wear rings.

Good Luck.
    Some realistic and practical advice here... kudos to david.

If you're lucky the JP will be old and talkative, giving you ample time to do numerous test shots before the actual vows and ring exchange. Quite common, so don't worry.

Blog Entries

just relax and shoot please
    shaddap and just shoot .... up close
    Walkeast

Quote Originally Posted by surrephoto View Post
    Some realistic and practical advice here... kudos to david.

If you're lucky the JP will be old and talkative, giving you ample time to do numerous test shots before the actual vows and ring exchange. Quite common, so don't worry.
    Ok thanks man.
    JUST KEEP SHOOTING

Quote Originally Posted by ed9119 View Post
    just relax and shoot please
    JUST KEEP SHOOTING

1) Best place to stand is next to the JP as you can cover almost all the important angles without moving from that spot but please check with the JP if it is OK for you to stand there.
    Met 1 JP who did not like people to stand next to him, both the vedio guy and myself were ask to move to the side.

2) Use your 5th battery or an external battery pack to assist in your flash charging. I've seen too many "friends with DSLR" miss the shot because of slow flash charging.

3) "P" mode, f5.6 and ISO 400 usually gets the job done.
    Last edited by yqt; 28th July 2010 at 10:50 AM.
    I get paid more shooting part time ...... damn, I should find more time to shoot part time

One more thing, since you're their friend you may have other friend with P&S who also want to shoot but once the the ROM starts, all bets are off and you can't "give way" to your friends as YOU need to get the shot.
    I get paid more shooting part time ...... damn, I should find more time to shoot part time

Quote Originally Posted by yqt View Post
    1) Best place to stand is next to the JP as you can cover almost all the important angles without moving from that spot but please check with the JP if it is OK for you to stand there.
    Met 1 JP who did not like people to stand next to him, both the vedio guy and myself were ask to move to the side.

2) Use your 5th battery or an external battery pack to assist in your flash charging. I've seen too many "friends with DSLR" miss the shot because of slow flash charging.

3) "P" mode, f5.6 and ISO 400 usually gets the job done.
    Quote Originally Posted by yqt View Post
    One more thing, since you're their friend you may have other friend with P&S who also want to shoot but once the the ROM starts, all bets are off and you can't "give way" to your friends as YOU need to get the shot.
    Thanks for sharing ur experience. I appreciate it.
    JUST KEEP SHOOTING

Hi everyone....

I am in the same boat too....being arrowed by best friend to shoot her ROM and its my virgin ROM shoot. She has even rejected another friend of hers who is a full-time photographer that is offering his service for "almost free" to her. That photographer actually asked her for free lunch after the shoot because she do not want to hire and pay him....

Anyway the ROM is going to be held in the Buddha Tooth Relic Temple which I believe to be a place for many nice mood shot. At my end.....I do not have any good weapons to shoot yet...HAHA! Right now I only have a 400D, kits lens and a 50mm F1.4.....I think many people will have their jaws dropped by showing such setup for ROM shoot.....anyway I know the limitation of this setup and it does slow me down with shooting at times so I am planning to get a 5D MKII with 24-105 F4 L to challenge this task. Anyway its about time to upgrade....

Should I have a flash with me? I am not a flash user and do not own one. Natural lighting is the way to go for me all the while...

Apart from having the DSLR, I am actually thinking to bring a film camera like the Lomo LCA or a Canon Film SLR mounted with my 50mm F1.4. I have been shooting films for yearsssss....and it is still irreplaceable by the digital format. But just wondering if I have the time to handle different cameras at the same time.
    A camera a day keeps me happy!
    Flickr me!

Quote Originally Posted by SumoBear View Post
    Hi everyone....

I am in the same boat too....being arrowed by best friend to shoot her ROM and its my virgin ROM shoot. She has even rejected another friend of hers who is a full-time photographer that is offering his service for "almost free" to her. That photographer actually asked her for free lunch after the shoot because she do not want to hire and pay him....

Anyway the ROM is going to be held in the Buddha Tooth Relic Temple which I believe to be a place for many nice mood shot. At my end.....I do not have any good weapons to shoot yet...HAHA! Right now I only have a 400D, kits lens and a 50mm F1.4.....I think many people will have their jaws dropped by showing such setup for ROM shoot.....anyway I know the limitation of this setup and it does slow me down with shooting at times so I am planning to get a 5D MKII with 24-105 F4 L to challenge this task. Anyway its about time to upgrade....

Should I have a flash with me? I am not a flash user and do not own one. Natural lighting is the way to go for me all the while...

Apart from having the DSLR, I am actually thinking to bring a film camera like the Lomo LCA or a Canon Film SLR mounted with my 50mm F1.4. I have been shooting films for yearsssss....and it is still irreplaceable by the digital format. But just wondering if I have the time to handle different cameras at the same time.
    Just shoot with what you have will do, since you mention you do not prefer a flash, just shoot according to what knowledge you have.

Anyway, since lunch is also out by what you stated, your friend either is low in budget or is very stingy. So i assume she just need standard can see face photos. So long not blur is enough.

Okay, just beware of red cast here and there as temple very dark with red. I will say have a flash will be better, no flash need to be careful. Have pop up flash??
    Eat breath LIVERPOOL!!!

Just shoot with what you have will do, since you mention you do not prefer a flash, just shoot according to what knowledge you have.

Anyway, since lunch is also out by what you stated, your friend either is low in budget or is very stingy. So i assume she just need standard can see face photos. So long not blur is enough.

Okay, just beware of red cast here and there as temple very dark with red. I will say have a flash will be better, no flash need to be careful. Have pop up flash??
    My friend is indeed low budget but not stingy.....she just dun like that photographer because he has a history of crashing into events uninvited and took his camera out to shoot for his portfolio. That photographer is rather buggy...upon finding out that my friend has confirmed her ROM date through someone else, he called my friend and said "Am I going to be at your ROM? If yes, you will have to pay me...." so meaning whether hiring him to shoot..."Since you do not want to pay, then treat me to lunch after your ROM." So this is what friendship is all about? Asked to get paid or have free lunch when you are suppose to be celebrating the moment of joy....

Okay...noted....I will be careful of the red cast. Actually I am not the "face shoot" person, the other photographer is...and that is what my friend is worried about.

Pop-up flash, I don't really like the pop-up unless no choice situation. I believe shooting the routine shoots of ROM should be fine with the capability of the 5D MKII and L lens.....but I am just not sure if I need a flash to capture the group shots....
    Last edited by SumoBear; 28th July 2010 at 11:35 AM.
    Flickr me!

Hi everyone....

Can consider renting the 5D MKII set up before taking the plunge and actually buying it. Of course, give yourself a few days to familiarise yourself with it.

Your 400D with 50mm can be your backup on that day. Or put the 50mm with the 5DMKII and rent a 17-55mm to go with your 400D. Many possibilities. Would be good to check out the shooting conditions of the venue before the actual day.
    Last edited by ahbian; 28th July 2010 at 11:55 AM.

My friend is indeed low budget but not stingy.....she just dun like that photographer because he has a history of crashing into events uninvited and took his camera out to shoot for his portfolio. That photographer is rather buggy...upon finding out that my friend has confirmed her ROM date through someone else, he called my friend and said "Am I going to be at your ROM? If yes, you will have to pay me...." so meaning whether hiring him to shoot..."Since you do not want to pay, then treat me to lunch after your ROM." So this is what friendship is all about? Asked to get paid or have free lunch when you are suppose to be celebrating the moment of joy....

Okay...noted....I will be careful of the red cast. Actually I am not the "face shoot" person, the other photographer is...and that is what my friend is worried about.

Pop-up flash, I don't really like the pop-up unless no choice situation. I believe shooting the routine shoots of ROM should be fine with the capability of the 5D MKII and L lens.....but I am just not sure if I need a flash to capture the group shots....
    I see, as the temple u mention i never being to, i suggest get a flash, mount it and incase u need, just on. As u have a decent body and lens, u have wide angle? That was most likely u have no space. The flash will be good to help you get better colors and for group photo very good.
    Eat breath LIVERPOOL!!!

I suggest you beg/borrow/steal another lens that is wider for standby purpose if your purpose is to shoot with a 50mm and the room turn out to be very small. Based on my experience, a 50mm lens on a DSLR, you might need to stand very far to get the couple shot and the room may not be big enough. People with PnS will also be inside your frame blocking your images because you are always standing further away.

Hi everyone....

ya is that a DX camera and lens??? need to factor in the 1.6
    Eat breath LIVERPOOL!!!

ya is that a DX camera and lens??? need to factor in the 1.6
    canon don't have DX camera..
    eat. drink. shoot

Quote Originally Posted by ahbian View Post
    Can consider renting the 5D MKII set up before taking the plunge and actually buying it. Of course, give yourself a few days to familiarise yourself with it.

Your 400D with 50mm can be your backup on that day. Or put the 50mm with the 5DMKII and rent a 17-55mm to go with your 400D. Many possibilities. Would be good to check out the shooting conditions of the venue before the actual day.
    The 400D does not belong to me, its my sister's and she is not using so I just loan it for the time being. Eventually one day, I will need a DSLR of my own and to avoid the process of upgrading from cropped to full frame, why not just get the FF as a headstart. The crop factor bothers me alot maybe because I have started photography with film(FF) many years ago.

Yes, I am digging as much as info as I can from the internet about the temple setting and also asking my friend to check with the temple on some details.
    Flickr me!

Quote Originally Posted by Magix88 View Post
    I suggest you beg/borrow/steal another lens that is wider for standby purpose if your purpose is to shoot with a 50mm and the room turn out to be very small. Based on my experience, a 50mm lens on a DSLR, you might need to stand very far to get the couple shot and the room may not be big enough. People with PnS will also be inside your frame blocking your images because you are always standing further away.
    The 50mm with the Cropped bodies will definately be tight for an enclosed area. Thats the crop factor which I hate about crop sensor. To counter that issue, my plan of getting the 5D MKII and pairing with the 24-105 F4L should be enough to resolve issue on the width and zoom. Actually I am a prime lens shooter....hope I will know how to use the zoom on the 24-105 and zoom by foot :P
    Flickr me!

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast