Thread: reducing exposures

Default reducing exposures

want to ask is it ok, that i reduce the exposure to gain shutter speed. but leave the picture underexpose. then i increase the exposure during post processing as i shoot in raw?

will details be lost?
    i tried it out and realise the picture becomes "grainy"

i reduce the exposure to get higher shutter speed.
    other than using higher ISO and flash and wider aperture, is there other methods to get higher shutter speed?

Default Re: reducing exposures

factors affecting exposure for any given scene are aperture, shutter speed and ISO. nothing else
    eat. drink. shoot

Quote Originally Posted by +evenstar View Post
    factors affecting exposure for any given scene are aperture, shutter speed and ISO. nothing else
    ok. so actually now i'm reading up on which lens to buy. either the tamron 17-50 or the nikon 35mm.

but getting an underexposed picture then increasing it in pp. it makes the photo lose details right?

Quote Originally Posted by glgl96 View Post
    want to ask is it ok, that i reduce the exposure to gain shutter speed. but leave the picture underexpose. then i increase the exposure during post processing as i shoot in raw?

will details be lost?

other than using higher ISO and flash and wider aperture, is there other methods to get higher shutter speed?
    with more experience you will soon realise that shadow recovery will introduce a lot of noise - as most of the noise will happen in the shadow areas of the photos when using higher iso.

if you expose a photo properly, even with last generation dslr... iso1600 will give very clean photos. unfortunately the situations where we really need high iso, will generally have a wider DR than usual, e.g. at night. hence shadow areas are almost always unavoidable.

the only 2 solutions here, if you must keep shutter speed, want a cleaner photo without underexposure are to:

1) either get a faster lens

2) use flash

what is the purpose of gaining faster shutter speed, though? there might be other methods that we could think of, since i am assuming something moving here.

ok. so actually now i'm reading up on which lens to buy. either the tamron 17-50 or the nikon 35mm.

but getting an underexposed picture then increasing it in pp. it makes the photo lose details right?
    most modern dslrs have loads of details in the shadow areas.

you might lose some sharpness if you run a NR software, if the noise bothers you a lot, but the details are generally still there.

yup. i'm quite bothered by the noise introduced with higher ISO when i upload the photos to my com. it looks ok on the camera but i hate to see those grains when i get home. i'm using a d5000, at iso1600 i can see a little bit of noise on my camera.

yeap. its moving objects. people, cars( been trying out panning but haven got a decent shot yet)

i don't think i will get a flash soon. but i will invest in a lens with wider aperture first. just wondering now. to get a prime. or standard zoom.
    cause i'm afraid i won't get use to not zooming. i try limiting myself to shoot just at 35mm on my kit lens. got really irritated that i gave up. that's why i'm considering the tamron 17-50mm now.
    nikon 17-55mm is really way out of my budget.

the tamron 17-50 is very decent for the price range, but you do get what you pay for.

that said, if you have a limited budget, you will be pleased with this lens.

yupp. actually i'm having a very tight budget. that's why i'm leaning towards getting a nikon 35mm. maybe i shall force myself to learn to use a prime. who knows maybe i'll fall in love just with it.

will details be lost?

it is better to shoot correct exposed image at higher ISO to get higher shutter speed, the image is cleaner.

show underexposed image and pump it up during the post will only make it worst.
    Shoot to Live, Live to Shoot
    www.benjaminloo.com | iStock portfolio

yup. just uploaded those photos that i tried. its really bad.

to check whether detail is lost, it's better to look at your histogram. The technique you mentioned is a desperate measure...usually won't give nice looking photos at normal viewing size...reducing it might seem better...
    ...:::..::.Nikon.::.:::..
    RGB Metering & Focusing.