Thread: Minolta : 50mm f-1.4

Default Minolta : 50mm f-1.4

Hi All, & Greetings to Seniors,

Recently got this lens ( Min 50mm f-1.4 ), and would like some feedback, comments ( don't hold back, feel free to be critical ), and why is it so cheap ( S$350.00 ? ). Is this the right price or should be cheaper ?

All comments, feedback, remarks, criticisms, and opinions are welcome.

Regards,

CJ

should be around this price.. the 50/f1.7 sells for half of that i think...second hand ones are going around for $90-$120....but its a good lens despite being only 50mm...very sharp and very very little distortion...

Default Min. 50mm f-1.4

Yes Ralph,

This lens is good as affirmed by you and many others.

I got the pics back from the lab - and they're all simply beautiful. Crystal sharp, looked like photos taken with something far costlier then S$350.00 - I am indeed pleased with this purchase.

However, my other SIGMA 17-35mm f-2.8, is getting to my nerves - it has this nasty tendency to soften out at the edges when pulled back to its 17mm focal setting. Very bad for group shots of people, but qite alright with landscapes. But still, distortion is quite obtrusive on several occassions while using this one. I might wanna sell this one and get another - the 14-30mm by SIGMA. I read this one, though 14mm, it does not distort at the edges despite it being 14mm at its widest. Remarkable - so is its price @ S$1,400.00. ( My wife is going to give me an earful again ... ) bleah bleah bleah bleah....

Well, thanks for all the tips on this one ( 800si ), and happy shooting my fellow light-painter.

Regards,

CJ

Default Re: Min. 50mm f-1.4

Originally posted by spilot
    I might wanna sell this one and get another - the 14-30mm by SIGMA. I read this one, though 14mm, it does not distort at the edges despite it being 14mm at its widest. Remarkable - so is its price @ S$1,400.00. ( My wife is going to give me an earful again ... ) bleah bleah bleah bleah....
    CJ
    Note that its 15-30mm, not 14-30.

Default Oops I mean...

... 14mm ( fixed ) f-2.8

>>> http://www.sigmaphoto.com/html/pages/14_ex.htm

I read this one, though 14mm, it does not distort at the edges despite it being 14mm at its widest. Remarkable - so is its price @ S$1,400.00.
    Erm. Right.

I got the pics back from the lab - and they're all simply beautiful. Crystal sharp, looked like photos taken with something far costlier then S$350.00 - I am indeed pleased with this purchase.
    Congratulations! :-) However, the f/1.4 vs f/1.7 debate rages on. I wonder if it will ever be settled.

However, my other SIGMA 17-35mm f-2.8, is getting to my nerves - it has this nasty tendency to soften out at the edges when pulled back to its 17mm focal setting.
    It doesn't help if you stop down, to say, f/8?
    (void *) &NHY;

Default Re: Re: Min. 50mm f-1.4

Shhhh, don't spoil market, Simon might want to sell his 'remarkable' Sigma 14mm lens to spilot.... hold on wrong mount

Anyway, based on previous experience, we're all too late, spilot has probably rushed out and bought the Sigma 14mm already.

Originally posted by Jed

Erm. Right.