Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Post Production

Default Post Production

hi.

i was at my cousin house and was literally BLOWNOUT by the complexity of photoshop. haha. well im still a beginner in this photography thing and have read many saying that post production is a need after we snap pictures.

would like to enquire from the bros and sis here, is there any easier way to learn photoshop? i read through dpreview and found the manual / user guide. a total of 6xx+ pages to read. thats thorough. so was wondering is there any specific few chps which are more relevant and useful, that can help set the foundation?
    newbie in photography.hope to learn as much as i can. so do advise if possible :)

Default Re: Post Production

There's no way you can read the whole manual on photoshop and remember everything. Brains can't remember things they are not interested in. I would suggest you find out a particular techinique when you need/want to use then try out. It's easier to learn this way.
    ...:::..::.Nikon.::.:::..
    RGB Metering & Focusing.

Blog Entries

Or you can start with lightroom first. It is more relevant for photographers.

When you get more advanced, and want to start doing things in layers... then move over to CS5

there are dozens of way to create a single effect, even a simple conversion from a color photo to a black & white photo has many different ways of doing it.

so it's not easy to learn everything.

Start from the kind of editing/effects that interests you, post photos online forums and ask others how to achieve that kind of effect. I am sure there are dozens of people willing to help

you can try those "books for dummies"
    it's quiet helpful and teach you more of the basic tools/command s you'r gonna use

if you are using mac u can try to use Aperture3 first

yooo...
    you can try those "tips & tricks" kinda books....

if u wanna learn some basic stuff...can try searching for this user in youtube, "CreativeIceDesigns"
    he posts some basic stuff...i find that anything after...itz just urself just clicking on everything and playing with every value to see what does what...~

EXPERIMENT!!!

Quote Originally Posted by duffydufs View Post
    you can try those "books for dummies"
    it's quiet helpful and teach you more of the basic tools/command s you'r gonna use

haha well that is exactly what i meant. learn the more basic tools which could suffice my photo taking skills at the moment.

anyway a bro earlier mention lightroom? sounds cool. is it free to download or must purchase?
    newbie in photography.hope to learn as much as i can. so do advise if possible :)

Quote Originally Posted by daredevil123 View Post

When you get more advanced, and want to start doing things in layers... then move over to CS5
    this sounds good. thanks. i was worried that im asking a very noob question caused seems like all the bros here used PS to edit after shooting. was thinking maybe a few might ask me to memorise or so..... hahah.

Quote Originally Posted by rockdhop View Post
    this sounds good. thanks. i was worried that im asking a very noob question caused seems like all the bros here used PS to edit after shooting. was thinking maybe a few might ask me to memorise or so..... hahah.
    I'm not using PS at all. So far there was no need. Lightroom serves me well and for additional things there is still Gimp.
    EOS

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Octarine View Post
    I'm not using PS at all. So far there was no need. Lightroom serves me well and for additional things there is still Gimp.
    And Gimp is free too.

If you want a quick editor that is easy and fast to use, try Photoscape.

noted. will research a little about photoscape,gimp and lightroom. haha. because do not wants to install so many that has ability that overlap each other

And Gimp is free too.

If you want a quick editor that is easy and fast to use, try Photoscape.

just learn and practice along the way, things you learnt and not being use for some time, you will forget it.
    Shoot to Live, Live to Shoot
    www.benjaminloo.com | iStock portfolio

yeah haha coupled up that nowadays so stressful. tends to forget things more ^^

Quote Originally Posted by catchlights View Post
    just learn and practice along the way, things you learnt and not being use for some time, you will forget it.

Just google and find out how to do what you want to do in Photoshop when you need to?

I don't use photoshop for most of my images and have a tendency to forget all the time. I like to refer to youtube channels like this when I need to: http://www.youtube.com/user/IceflowStudios

yes, do consider lightroom for your post production..its quite simple to use

Quote Originally Posted by duffydufs View Post
    yes, do consider lightroom for your post production..its quite simple to use
    thanks for that.
    any comments on the gimp? how is it? user-friendly?

Quote Originally Posted by rockdhop View Post
    thanks for that.
    any comments on the gimp? how is it? user-friendly?
    Similar to PS: you need to put some efforts in to understand the program. It's not workflow-oriented. But the idea is quite similar to PS so certain actions and steps are the same, Gimp just uses other words and terms.
    EOS

Quote Originally Posted by Octarine View Post
    Similar to PS: you need to put some efforts in to understand the program. It's not workflow-oriented. But the idea is quite similar to PS so certain actions and steps are the same, Gimp just uses other words and terms.
    roger that. will go download and explore. haha

Quote Originally Posted by Yutaka Go View Post
    If you think before you shoot, photos produce by the DSLR should be very high quality and don't need a lot of PP.
    I do very little or no PP on my photos even though I don't use a DSLR
    Then your target is quite close to what the camera produces. That's fine for you then. But there are many things people want to achieve where your camera alone will not be able to deliver this: fine tuned black/white conversion, HDR, digital cross-processing, artificial vignetting .. the discussion is age old and we don't need to bring it up again: Do as much post-processing as you like / need to achieve the target that you have in mind. The idea of 'PP is cheating' or 'only straight from the camera is true photography' is utterly nonsense.
    EOS

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast