Thread: PS problem

Default PS problem

the background of the car shld be white but when i open using PS there's a colour cast on it.
    can anyone help me ?

Quote Originally Posted by acetylcholine

the background of the car shld be white but when i open using PS there's a colour cast on it.
    can anyone help me ?
    Looks like the whole photo has a slight colour cast to me - so simply select either Levels or Curves and use the Highlight eyedropper tool (Thats the one to the right hand side) and click on the background you wish to make white.

Preferably you should do this using an adjustment layer so that you can alter it later if you wish. e.g.

Open the layers pallet (From windows menu - if not already open)
    click the little half white / half black ball at the bottom of the layers pallet (This is the adjustment layer menu) and select Curves) Now use eyedropper tools as above (Note we usually use the 'Black' eyedropper first and click in the area we wish to be black to remove colour casts in shadows and improve dynamic range (Similarly 'Grey' eyedropper for midtones).

Preferably you should set the parameters of the eyedropper tools before you start this exercise and save them as defaults.. Can explain further but will take time.

can anyone help me ?
    Here's my try. BTW what's the color of the car? White or Silver?

Quote Originally Posted by nokin
    i cant remove the colour cast.
    btw u said click on the black and white sphere of the layers 'dialog box' right?
    then choose which 1 ? because there was a list of stuff u can choose.

can u be more specific?

i cant remove the colour cast.
    btw u said click on the black and white sphere of the layers 'dialog box' right?
    then choose which 1 ? because there was a list of stuff u can choose.

can u be more specific?
    1. Choose Curves
    2. Select lefthand eyedropper (Black / Shadow) and try clicking on wht should be black are (eg a Tyre).And/Or select righthand (white / highlight) eyedropper and click on area you wish to be pure white. If unsatisfactory Press alt and the cancel button will change to reset. click this and start all over again until you are happy.

Hope this makes sense.

Just try out wondering by changing the blue level could help?

Nokin, did u notice that the signal light changed colour? or u did it purposely....

Last edited by benchuatl; 7th May 2004 at 06:32 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by benchuatl
    Just try out wondering by changing the blue level could help?

Nokin, did u notice that the signal light changed colour? or u did it purposely....

Did not notice that, thanks for highlighting. You did a better job.

can anyone help me ?
    here's my version...

just checking...have u tried printing out the pic? did you scan it?
    i don't understand how you get the colour cast.

looks like a conversion to greyscale from original picture
    correct me if wrong

Quote Originally Posted by zodnm
    looks like a conversion to greyscale from original picture
    correct me if wrong
    Used color balance and levels.

Great photography is about depth of feeling, not depth of field.
    Portfolio | Gallery

tried using the curves with the droppers thing. but i cant get white because of the colour cast.
    why is there a colour cast ? i am not sure. when i click the pic and it appears on XP's pic viewer and desktop pic , it appeared ok. white...perfectly white.

PS prob ?

anyway thanks for yr help. will try and post again

khari and ben...how did u do it ?

Default Colour cast

tried using the curves with the droppers thing. but i cant get white because of the colour cast.
    why is there a colour cast ? i am not sure. when i click the pic and it appears on XP's pic viewer and desktop pic , it appeared ok. white...perfectly white.

PS prob ?

anyway thanks for yr help. will try and post again

khari and ben...how did u do it ?
    Khari is right, using the balance and level would be able to change the colour cast. Anyway, ur photo also appeared in my screen (LCD) to be yellowish...

Find the details more in the blue Mask for the car, thereafter duplicate and converting it to grey scale.....Try ctrl L and push the right white triangle to highlight the white and got this result... Only change one single level, if u try out more level... u probably can get a better result but I think this would be sufficient....

Hope that someone up there could share a more easy and effective way...

Quote Originally Posted by benchuatl
    Khari is right, using the balance and level would be able to change the colour cast. Anyway, ur photo also appeared in my screen (LCD) to be yellowish...

Find the details more in the blue Mask for the car, thereafter duplicate and converting it to grey scale.....Try ctrl L and push the right white triangle to highlight the white and got this result... Only change one single level, if u try out more level... u probably can get a better result but I think this would be sufficient....

Hope that someone up there could share a more easy and effective way...
    other than using balance and levels plus some layer duplication thing...you can actually do it using curves...and layer blending if necessary - of course sharpening, if you want to.

For the version that i posted...only did it using curves in RGB mode. But first must identify the Shadow, Midtones & Highlights - just like what Stroma had done - only mine, i used the Color Sampler Tool...this tool gives better accuracy. Note: for the midtones, sometimes to identify 2 or more midtones helps...but if you are lazy...take 1 will do.

Meaning, the image that i corrected was more of Color Value Correction rather than Eye Visual Correction. This helps only if your screen is calibrated with your printer (something like that lah) Thus, I will get the right Shadows and Highlights, but needs to be VERY careful with the midtone values (midtones or quatertones, whatever). Therefore, i do not depend on the monitor screen for the highs n lows, but only for the midtones. I adjusted individual color seps.

Color values will not be wrong, but your monitor is always Right or Wrong. Me using PS7......Hope this helps.

mmm...wat i did was just open up the faulty picture, open curves via ctrl M then used the white dropper and click on the light yellow cast area...i got the car white again

Quote Originally Posted by semota
    mmm...wat i did was just open up the faulty picture, open curves via ctrl M then used the white dropper and click on the light yellow cast area...i got the car white again
    Crack! Super Fast!