Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Stand up for your rights.. do not let this IT store short-changed you.

Default Re: Stand up for your rights.. do not let this IT store short-changed you.

Moral of the story is to join if the membership is free like Gain City.

Default Re: Stand up for your rights.. do not let this IT store short-changed you.

Based on what TS described about that IT store, got to pay for the membership, it is crap. [if we were not mistaken, it's Challenger]

There are other stores with better membership deal like Courts and Best Denki. It works something like this: you buy something that cost 500bucks and above and they give you some membership so that you enjoy some discounts, some deals etc.

That crap tactic of paying 90day, 120days stinks big time. It reminds me of a certain insurance company. When you file in your claim, they will use all kinds of means to delay you. After you submit your claim, they will come back to tell you this form not properly filled up, and then, after another month, tell you got some info missing and so forth. It takes donkey months or even years to get your claim settlement.
    Do not be afraid [of ghost and bullies] Shoot them......

Quote Originally Posted by ninelives View Post
    $40.....i will not waste my 82 days demanding that $40 cash.
    Agree.. Probably, $40 will be forgotten in 82 days..
    (even my transportation cost more in 30 days)

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by CS_new View Post
    There is this IT store which offers 2-year “Guarantee Savings” membership at a fee of $30.

Benefits of membership include guaranteed minimum savings of $50 over 2-year membership period and if savings are less than $20, a $40 cheque will be refunded within 30 days.

Wah , if REALLY pay out cash.......... this is better than putting money in a local bank .... invest $30, collect back $50 after 2 years ...... all you need to do is spend is small ticket item and chalk up saving of less than $20.

can buy 100 memberships like this
    Last edited by ed9119; 26th July 2010 at 12:16 PM.
    shaddap and just shoot .... up close
    Walkeast

Challenger is a listed company in SGX, their financial health should be transpraent Hmmm

actually ifeel they a bit like selling minibonds.
    when i enquired about the refund after 2 years, i cited the example that what if i joined and did not buy a single thing in 2 years. so its not the stores fault that i did not get any discount but rather becos i simply didnt spend there, will the refund still be made. The guy said chop plus guarantee.

sometimes i suspect the sales people themselves are not clear about the terms and conditions at the point of sale.

I cancelled my membership & got $40 gift vouchers
    Take the shot!

Thanks to all for expressing your views and opinions. Some may feel that $40 is too small a sum to be worth the time and trouble to pursue a claim. Some may think it is reasonable for the store to substitute voucher for cheque. While I may not agree with some views and opinions expressed, I respect them.

Anyway, my post is not to bash the store. Neither is it to encourage nor discourage anyone from signing up as member with the store or patronising the store. The membership scheme is not a bad thing if the store delivers what it promises; i.e. paid the refund in cheque and within 30 days per the T&C.

To me a voucher is no substitute for cheque. With voucher you are restricted to exchanging for goods at that store and within a specified period of time. Furthermore, you need to use it at one go, as there is no refund for unused balance. With cheque I have maximum flexibility. I can chose to spend it anywhere and at any time, or even save it. The sum involved is indeed a small amount to me. My decision to pursue my claim is not influence by the amount but rather to protect my right as a matter of principle.

To reiterate, the gist of my post is to share my unpleasant experience so that others, who may be in the same boat as me, do not get short-changed.

To stonefish35 post #10 who has doubt on my chance of success at the SCT ….

Should I need to resort to the SCT to pursue my claim I will be relying on clause 11, Second Schedule of the Consumer Protection (Fair Trading) Act 2003.

The Second Schedule lists 20 instances of unfair practices. Just for info., below is a quote from clause 11.

11. Taking advantage of a consumer by including in an agreement terms or conditions that are harsh, oppressive or excessively one-sided so as to be unconscionable.

but glad that you do not have to resort to sct to get this sorted out

Was a member for years. Finally gave up, never really buy much from them to benifit from the membership fee.

Quote Originally Posted by KiichiroToyoda View Post
    Was a member for years. Finally gave up, never really buy much from them to benifit from the membership fee.
    Did you get back any refund of membership fee, either in cheque or voucher?

Quote Originally Posted by CS_new View Post
    Did you get back any refund of membership fee, either in cheque or voucher?
    I think it expired and I never bother to renew it when the cashier ask me. What voucher?

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by ricohflex View Post
    I am a member of Challenger for some years already. Small deal.
    Don't really bother to keep track of and add up the so called savings.
    What is more important is when we are looking for something, they should have the stock.
    If Challenger is marginally a few dollars more than the other store if one bothers to hunt at every shop to find out prices, then normally one does not care.
    Just pay a few dollars more and be done with it.
    Time is money.
    and thats the reason why ur mamashop downstairs charge more ex than ntuc, but u still buy.

last time I had this too, but the $30 cheque was refund to me very quickly. Last time membership was $20.

Quote Originally Posted by ninelives View Post
    2: sales person will leave you alone, they won't disturb you, i dont like sales person who keep asking "can i help?" if i need help i will approach them. common sense.
    And when you need them, they're usually no where in sight..

Challenger membership is free with the Diners/Challenger credit card.

Whatever u buy always tell them u drive and give them the car plate number... hahaha... shave $2 off with any purchase... haha..

Quote Originally Posted by allenleonhart View Post
    and thats the reason why ur mamashop downstairs charge more ex than ntuc, but u still buy.
    some item even cheaper than ntuc
    Canon Kiss X4 | 18-55mm f3.5-5.6 IS II Kit lens | 50mm f1.8

Quote Originally Posted by soons View Post
    last time I had this too, but the $30 cheque was refund to me very quickly. Last time membership was $20.
    You got a much better deal. 25% p.a. return on your investment. Maybe last time no unfair clause in the T&C, so no excuse to delay or short-change with voucher.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12