Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Our Weatherman Competency

Default Re: Our Weatherman Competency

Quote Originally Posted by hotwork77 View Post
    Singapore is so small and they can't even predict a more accurate forecast.
    Which is precisely why highly accurate weather forecast and nowcast is still so difficult. Even with sophisticated and refined mathematical models processed through modern day supercomputer you will still not be able to get the exact meteorological conditions between locations tens of kilometres apart days in advance.
    CS Aviation / Flickr
    Per aspera ad astra

Quote Originally Posted by justinlee777 View Post
    For example look at the current website of our official weather portal: http://www.weather.gov.sg/wip/web/home/further_outlook and compare to my usual favourite weather website: http://www.wunderground.com/global/stations/48698.html and http://www.weathercity.com/sg/singapore/ which I get my weather fixes of local and some other countries in case I have to go there for assignments. Hey, some of these external sites even have weather satellites pics of up to 24hrs. Take for example the recent volcanic eruption in Iceland and this website giving instant hour-by-hour RSS feeds, charts, aviation advisories (http://www.metoffice.gov.uk/aviation/vaac/features.html) so that we can plan our travel itinerary better.

Probably the only updated info is the haze situation. I guess the passiveness of our weather agencies and it's current mode of "engaging" and disseminating information is just not what we expect it to be. Indeed we are a small island nation surrounded by land masses which have provided natural shelter to adverse severe weather changes up till now. However, everyone knows how climate change can affect even the smallest species.
    If you are employed in the aviation or maritime industry and require access to regular periodic updates of meteorological conditions and also raw empirical data, the Meteorological Services Division (MSD) of the National Environment Agency (NEA) do provide professional services such as highly detailed meteorological report including hourly satellite imagery of the entire ASEAN region from weather satellites at their website.

Weather balloons are also released twice to thrice daily from the Upper Air Observatory at No. 36 Kim Chuan Road and Changi Meteorological Station to asses atmospheric conditions up till the stratosphere.
    Last edited by 9V-Orion Images; 25th July 2010 at 02:09 PM.
    CS Aviation / Flickr
    Per aspera ad astra

Quote Originally Posted by hongsien View Post
    Could be thunderstorm is a day too late......watch out tomorrow morning
    Told you guys they are 1 day too late! It was raining this morning

It's weather forecast, not divine premonition or fortune telling!

As capricious as the weather.
    Do not be afraid [of ghost and bullies] Shoot them......

Quote Originally Posted by 9V-Orion Images View Post
    If you are employed in the aviation or maritime industry and require access to regular periodic updates of meteorological conditions and also raw empirical data, the Meteorological Services Division (MSD) of the National Environment Agency (NEA) do provide professional services such as highly detailed meteorological report including hourly satellite imagery of the entire ASEAN region from weather satellites at their website.

Weather balloons are also released twice to thrice daily from the Upper Air Observatory at No. 36 Kim Chuan Road and Changi Meteorological Station to asses atmospheric conditions up till the stratosphere.
    Morning!

Let's give our weathermen/women some time to figure out...

Afterall, we are sometimes plagued with passing shows moving from different areas on our small island, so as Bro 9V-Orion Images mentioned is also quite difficult to predict precision weather. We also cannot expect weathermen to release weather balloons in all districts every 2hrs, it would look like a giant party... imagine the already constricted airspace that everyone has to fight with.

Maybe we just wished them instead of being reactive (as some bros mentioned) to being more engaging to the public instead? Like going through real-time media, radio or other broadcast platforms to let us know up to date? I mean just having this real-time broadcast to public and other agencies would be useful intel... or since we already have a island-wide public warning system... sounding that out in the wee hours might have saved a few more assets or worse case, create a mass panic and clog up roads disallowing emergency services access - I dunno, somebody's gotta figure out...

I think it's akin to fighting a war, whereby they used to mass up armies and big guns playing attrition numbers does not work anymore. When the proliferation of smaller groups of terrorists creating low-intensity conflicts, the armed services also responded in kind. I suppose our agencies would severely need to do a massive review on our public service structure to respond in kind - just so happens that they probably needed some kickstart, like some flooding.

Let's give our public service agencies some time to figure out and how to play nicely together...
    Canon450D | TAM17-50F2.8 | EF 70-200F2.8 | EX430 | A picture speaks a thousand words... Priceless...

Blog Entries

sheeesh.........................get a life............... if your house get sweep away by flood or your crops fail leading to starvation then complain

I usually decide for myself with a quick check on the current weather maps via sites like Weather Underground

http://www.wunderground.com/global/stations/48698.html
    Last edited by ed9119; 27th July 2010 at 12:12 PM.
    shaddap and just shoot .... up close
    Walkeast

else learn to read and predict your own weather pattern over singapore.

the NEA website does provide access to satelite photo over the last 24hrs (not sure they still doing that or not)

look at the cloud pattern and wind direction, and if u can go get your own barameter. so when your barometer reading drops then there is a chances of rain. depending on how much it drop LOL.

moi own exp (was from the navy and learn this in the navy), Barometer reading if drop by 2-3milli bar chances of rain 4-5milli bar rain, more than that thats mean stay home and sleep liao. but u need to know the normal or average level.

weather forecasting is not easy and its an art. supercomputer world wide are supporting the weather forecasting and they never get them right all the time so dont expect the weatherman to give the right report, end of the day he/she is also just reading the weather report generated by the computer.

so if u want to blame go blame the computer
    D80/D700 18-135/17-50/14-24/24-70/70-200/70-300/50/60 SB600/900

I always hear from the news that there will be showers over certain areas in singapore. being a tropical island, we get rain very often, that is a very safe prediction. I think i also wanna be a weatherman. haha

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12