Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: 3rd Party Lens Hood Options for Pentax DAL Lenses (18-55, 50-200, 55-300)

Default 3rd Party Lens Hood Options for Pentax DAL Lenses (18-55, 50-200, 55-300)

Simon did a very nice review about a third party lens hood for his DAL55-300 lens here:

A small review on a 3rd party lens hood for DA/DAL 55-300mm

I was buying K-7 batteries at Manly this afternoon, happened to see they also have these hoods from the same manufacturer:

They are pretty well made, look quite similar to the original Pentax hoods (which don't come w/ the DAL lenses):

They work exactly the same as the original hood, and seems pretty smooth when putting on to the lens:

I ever bought another third party one for a kit lens from China, but that one didn't work as well as this one, not as smooth, and seems still had a bit play when mounted. This one from JJC works far better.

These hoods also come with the small 'door' which are for easy accessing CP filters (one of the unique design by Pentax and only very few other manufacturers). And of course they can be reversely mounted on the lens as the original one:

The price is $18 each, same price for all hoods. Sounds pretty fair to me, but I didn't buy because I don't have a DAL lens. If you are looking for a cheap alternative hood for your DAL lenses, maybe you should give this one a try

All photos were taken at Manly Store in a rush. If you see something funny in the background, it's from their store ...

Cheers and happy hunting.
    Last edited by fengwei; 24th July 2010 at 12:08 AM.

Default Re: 3rd Party Lens Hood Options for Pentax DAL Lenses (18-55, 50-200, 55-300)

damn.. anyone can tumpang and help me buy?
    hahaha

Default Re: 3rd Party Lens Hood Options for Pentax DAL Lenses (18-55, 50-200, 55-300)

Quote Originally Posted by evolutioner View Post
    damn.. anyone can tumpang and help me buy?
    hahaha
    huh?? just go down to manly and buy la haha

very far for me ler

Quote Originally Posted by darrrrrrrrrr View Post
    huh?? just go down to manly and buy la haha
    he is in malaysia right now if i rem correctly

Probably i will go and get one for my 18-55.. the one i bought earlier is the screw in hood... doesn't really fit well.. Thanks for the info bro!

hmm.. i'm new to the hood thing but i've heard pple recommending putting filters on it..

is it recommended? any difference with or without?

Deregistered

Quote Originally Posted by ItWasntMe View Post
    hmm.. i'm new to the hood thing but i've heard pple recommending putting filters on it..

Put filters on the hood?

You mean "putting filters on the lenses"

Pentaxian for Life
    K1, KP, FA*28-70/2.8, FA31, 43 & FA77 Limiteds, K85/1.8, FA*200/2.8, A50/1.2

Pentaxian fast hand fast feet, was at Manly this afternoon, no more hoods all sold out! Gotta wait another 2 to 3 weeks!

Juz collected mine (58mm) from Simon this afternoon.
    The hood is very well made, easy to mount on & remove, works & feel like the original Pentax.

Ops, I found the price! Sorry, because the pictures were all over my screen and didnt take note of it on the bottom. Sorry~ Thanks Kengoh!
    Last edited by whatjerom; 25th July 2010 at 08:28 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by whatjerom View Post
    Anyone can tell me how much is that ah? :x
    Fengwei has stated $18 in his post.

Quote Originally Posted by felixcat8888 View Post
    You mean "putting filters on the lenses"

haha.. thanks for clarifying...

what's the purpose though?

haha.. thanks for clarifying...

what's the purpose though?
    UV, skylight, protector filters are used to protect the front element from sand, dirt, scratches, fingerprints, etc

polarizers are used to cut reflections and deepen colors

Neutral density filters (ND) are used to cut the light coming into the lens to allow for longer shutter speeds/bigger apertures

Graduated ND filters are used to darken bright skies to even out the exposure between the bright sky and dark foreground

putting filters has nothing to do with putting hood. putting a hood on will protect the front element from accidental impacts, as well as increasing contrast by cutting out stray light. putting a uv filter might protect the front element as well but lousy UV filters will cause image degradation.

hope i've answered your questions. next time, please google/search. all the answers are there.

Quote Originally Posted by darrrrrrrrrr View Post
    UV, skylight, protector filters are used to protect the front element from sand, dirt, scratches, fingerprints, etc

polarizers are used to cut reflections and deepen colors

Neutral density filters (ND) are used to cut the light coming into the lens to allow for longer shutter speeds/bigger apertures

Graduated ND filters are used to darken bright skies to even out the exposure between the bright sky and dark foreground

putting filters has nothing to do with putting hood. putting a hood on will protect the front element from accidental impacts, as well as increasing contrast by cutting out stray light. putting a uv filter might protect the front element as well but lousy UV filters will cause image degradation.

hope i've answered your questions. next time, please google/search. all the answers are there.
    thanks for the comprehensive explanation.

just confused as to why there were suggestions on putting filters before putting on hoods.

i did google but it made me more confused because there's so much different variations of answers/explanations there.

just confused as to why there were suggestions on putting filters before putting on hoods.
    My guess is, it's just really difficult to put on the filter when you have the hood on.
    My photos - see just some or all of it =)

because all lenses have front filter thread, which can be used for filters and screw-on hoods
    and then filters have again thread for u to add more stuff in front of it.

but not all hoods have front filter thread for u to screw filters in

All these DAL lenses use bayonet lens hoods, means they won't use the front filter thread for attachment but the teeth outside the lens front. You can still use filters on these lenses w/ hoods on. Of course you won't be able to take them off easily w/ hoods on, but there is a small door at the hood bottom which you can take off then eaily access CP filter.

Since all these DAL lenses have SP (Super Protect) coating, no point putting another filter in front unless you wanna achieve some special effect (CPL/ND filters and etc.). But a hood does help in protecting the front lens element and improving image quality.

Seems like lots of place sold out...

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast