Results 1 to 16 of 16

Thread: Shutter Speed queries

  1. #1

    Default Shutter Speed queries

    im very new to photography and am wondering is there any free online photography tutorials or lessons to pickup techniques?

    i google and mostly,they lead me to books preview.

    anyway back to the topic , is there any particular few shutter speed you guys would mainly use when shooting pictures? mind sharing (shutter speed) at what condition?

  2. #2

    Default Re: Shutter Speed queries

    Check out the sticky threads in the newbie forum (those that are at the top)

  3. #3
    Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Singapore, Singapore
    Posts
    46

    Default Re: Shutter Speed queries

    it depends on what kind of subject you are shooting, light condition, lens etc...many factors

  4. #4
    Member
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    East
    Posts
    293

    Default Re: Shutter Speed queries

    Quote Originally Posted by rockdhop View Post
    im very new to photography and am wondering is there any free online photography tutorials or lessons to pickup techniques?

    i google and mostly,they lead me to books preview.

    anyway back to the topic , is there any particular few shutter speed you guys would mainly use when shooting pictures? mind sharing (shutter speed) at what condition?
    How you google ?

    http://www.5min.com/Video/Learn-abou...Speed-72415988

    http://www.youtube.com/results?searc...ter+speed&aq=f

    anyway back to the topic , is there any particular few shutter speed you guys would mainly use when shooting pictures? mind sharing (shutter speed) at what condition?

    Your answer is here .....

    http://catalogue.nlb.gov.sg/cgi-bin/...2+13037251+2+0

  5. #5

    Default Re: Shutter Speed queries

    thats very helpful of you to link me up with nlb. haha thanks. anyway mind sharing how do you master the skills of knowing which shutter speed to use?





    Quote Originally Posted by kutten View Post
    How you google ?

    http://www.5min.com/Video/Learn-abou...Speed-72415988

    http://www.youtube.com/results?searc...ter+speed&aq=f

    anyway back to the topic , is there any particular few shutter speed you guys would mainly use when shooting pictures? mind sharing (shutter speed) at what condition?

    Your answer is here .....

    http://catalogue.nlb.gov.sg/cgi-bin/...2+13037251+2+0

  6. #6
    Member dingaroo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Singapore | East
    Posts
    1,950

    Default Re: Shutter Speed queries

    Quote Originally Posted by rockdhop View Post
    thats very helpful of you to link me up with nlb. haha thanks. anyway mind sharing how do you master the skills of knowing which shutter speed to use?
    How do you master the skills of which food to eat?

    How do you master the skills of what clothes to put on?

    How do you master the skills of what shoes to put on?

    The answer is ..............................



























    Go out and shoot and practice a lot!
    A picture a day keeps the blues away!

  7. #7
    Member dingaroo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Singapore | East
    Posts
    1,950

    Default Re: Shutter Speed queries

    If all else fails, use AUTO mode.
    A picture a day keeps the blues away!

  8. #8

    Default Re: Shutter Speed queries

    Quote Originally Posted by dingaroo View Post
    How do you master the skills of which food to eat?

    How do you master the skills of what clothes to put on?

    How do you master the skills of what shoes to put on?

    The answer is ..............................



























    Go out and shoot and practice a lot!
    Quote Originally Posted by dingaroo View Post
    If all else fails, use AUTO mode.

    I agree. It can only be achieve through practice. TS maybe you want to try shooting on Aperture Priority first and observe what shutter speeds they use? Sorry if this doesn't work cause I only read about some ppl advising others, but I didn't try it.
    Nikon D90 | AF-S 18-105mm | AF 50mm f/1.8D | Tokina 12-24mm f4 | Sigma 30mm f1.4

  9. #9

    Default Re: Shutter Speed queries

    TS, the only way to know how to shoot is to practice, practice and practice.
    For a start, try to shoot in full auto or preset modes (e.g. portraits, night mode, sports, etc). Review the photo to see if you like the effect and look at the settings your camera set for you. Then question why the camera used the settings under such mode.

  10. #10
    Member
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    East
    Posts
    293

    Default Re: Shutter Speed queries

    Quote Originally Posted by rockdhop View Post
    thats very helpful of you to link me up with nlb. haha thanks. anyway mind sharing how do you master the skills of knowing which shutter speed to use?
    You are still trying to look for a magic number ?

    It all depends on what you want; fast shutter speed allows you to freeze fast-moving action, slow shutter speed allows you to create motion-induced blur effect. For normal shooting, if you want to achieve a sharp image with hand held, need to ensure the shutter speed is faster or equal to 1/lens focal length, and many many more . ...

    go borrow the book and read it up .....then practice ...

  11. #11
    Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    here
    Posts
    1,350

    Default Re: Shutter Speed queries

    Use the shutter speed that helps you produce the image you want in that particular situation.

  12. #12
    Member voxies09's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    651

    Default Re: Shutter Speed queries

    Use a mode and if it's too dark, see what was the shutter speed n use m mode to reduce or vice verse
    Last edited by voxies09; 23rd July 2010 at 06:02 PM.
    Canon Kiss X4 | 18-55mm f3.5-5.6 IS II Kit lens | 50mm f1.8

  13. #13
    Deregistered allenleonhart's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Posts
    3,656
    Blog Entries
    1

    Default Re: Shutter Speed queries

    or check out wiki. i learnt my basics from there. the rest is just shoot only and slowly learn

  14. #14

    Default Re: Shutter Speed queries

    There are no shortcuts that can beat experience. Stop looking for magic formulas. Go out and learn how to use your camera.
    Alpha

  15. #15

    Default Re: Shutter Speed queries

    Quote Originally Posted by dingaroo View Post
    If all else fails, use AUTO mode.
    i love this...

    anyway i also learning... trying out shutter and aperture priority... figuring how the shutter and aperture isn't difficult...

    seems like composition and how people gauge the DOF just by look at the picture is more difficult... lol...

  16. #16
    Moderator Octarine's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Pasir Ris
    Posts
    12,394

    Default Re: Shutter Speed queries

    Quote Originally Posted by rockdhop View Post
    im very new to photography and am wondering is there any free online photography tutorials or lessons to pickup techniques? [...]
    anyway back to the topic , is there any particular few shutter speed you guys would mainly use when shooting pictures? mind sharing (shutter speed) at what condition?
    Have you read and tried to understand the very basics of exposure? There is a newbies guide here in CS: Photography Notes for Newbies
    If you read this carefully you will notice some dependencies between shutter speed, ISO and aperture. All three parameters form the exposure. There is no 'mainly used shutter speed' - unless you ask for a very specific situation. But since your question is generic the answer is: in general there is not preference. For a beginner there is only one guideline to keep in mind: shutter speed < 1/focal length (in mm). This helps avoiding motion blur by handshake.
    EOS

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •