Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Results 41 to 60 of 60

Thread: iPad

  1. #41

    Default Re: iPad

    hahaha you made my day!!!

  2. #42

    Default Re: iPad

    Quote Originally Posted by hazmee View Post
    I can live with the iPad's keyboard but I can't live with Windows. Plus i wouldn't want to run Photoshop when I m on the go.

    Anyway care to share the models of those laptops you mentioned? Would like to recommend to some of my friends who aren't into iPads.
    the sony X series. I thought Sony stuff are very well engineered.

    From the latest super small NEX camera to the series X laptop which weighs just 0.1 pounds heavier, just 0.02 inch thicker BUT
    comes with

    keyboard,
    2 usb port,
    SD slot,
    camera,
    microphone
    VGA port
    ethernet port
    BIGGER and better screen.
    And you can change the battery for long flights.

    The price is higher though. But much much much better specs.

    I used to use MACs but switched back to windows. As a lot of software companies has better support for windows, even Adobe.

    That is what I WANT to get after my sony TX dies on me. To me it doesn't make sense to carry a laptop sized Ebook... just to read magazines or show pics. If I want to carry something laptop sized, I want it to be able to type so I can post, do minor editing, run office, connect to networks, etc.
    Last edited by alantkh; 27th July 2010 at 07:46 AM.

  3. #43
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    Sengkang
    Posts
    2,922

    Default Re: iPad

    Quote Originally Posted by alantkh View Post
    the sony X series. I thought Sony stuff are very well engineered.

    From the latest super small NEX camera to the series X laptop which weighs just 0.1 pounds heavier, just 0.02 inch thicker BUT
    comes with

    keyboard,
    2 usb port,
    SD slot,
    camera,
    microphone
    VGA port
    ethernet port
    BIGGER and better screen.
    And you can change the battery for long flights.

    The price is higher though. But much much much better specs.

    I used to use MACs but switched back to windows. As a lot of software companies has better support for windows, even Adobe.

    That is what I WANT to get after my sony TX dies on me. To me it doesn't make sense to carry a laptop sized Ebook... just to read magazines or show pics. If I want to carry something laptop sized, I want it to be able to type so I can post, do minor editing, run office, connect to networks, etc.
    Thanks for the info. I guess none of my friends would ever want to go back to a Sony laptop since they had bad experiences with their products and after sales service but thanks anyway.

    Its good to know what you need rather than buy then regret. All those things you mentioned, I don't need them when I'm on the go hence I got myself the iPad. There's always a product catered for everyone.

    Cheers!

  4. #44

    Default Re: iPad

    Quote Originally Posted by hazmee View Post
    Thanks for the info. I guess none of my friends would ever want to go back to a Sony laptop since they had bad experiences with their products and after sales service but thanks anyway.

    Its good to know what you need rather than buy then regret. All those things you mentioned, I don't need them when I'm on the go hence I got myself the iPad. There's always a product catered for everyone.

    Cheers!
    I think customer service is a hit and miss thing.

    I used to use IMAC, mac mini, etc for my home PC. The mac mini ate up one my CDs and refused to puke it out. And the last straw came when I bought the apple time capsule 1.5 years ago.... supposedly server grade harddisk.... The thing RUNS so hot... send to apple they refuse to say anything wrong. Bang table bang chair, replace 1 for 1 with something that runs just as hot. In the end, I just throw it aside and stop using it.

    Now then they finally admit the time capsule harddisk got temp issues. Will replace harddisk FOC. duh... but this is data we are talking about. harddisk is cheap but data failure is so troublesome.

    I think apple QC really dropped over the years, emphasize design over reliability.

    my 2 cents from a FORMER MAC user.

  5. #45
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    Sengkang
    Posts
    2,922

    Default Re: iPad

    Quote Originally Posted by alantkh View Post
    I think customer service is a hit and miss thing.

    I used to use IMAC, mac mini, etc for my home PC. The mac mini ate up one my CDs and refused to puke it out. And the last straw came when I bought the apple time capsule 1.5 years ago.... supposedly server grade harddisk.... The thing RUNS so hot... send to apple they refuse to say anything wrong. Bang table bang chair, replace 1 for 1 with something that runs just as hot. In the end, I just throw it aside and stop using it.

    Now then they finally admit the time capsule harddisk got temp issues. Will replace harddisk FOC. duh... but this is data we are talking about. harddisk is cheap but data failure is so troublesome.

    I think apple QC really dropped over the years, emphasize design over reliability.

    my 2 cents from a FORMER MAC user.
    To be honest with you, I am not much of an diehard Apple fan either and I can understand your sentiments. But that's another story for another day.

    For now, I am loving the iPad for what it can do.

  6. #46
    Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Jalan Poonpipi
    Posts
    758

    Default Re: iPad

    Quote Originally Posted by Rashkae View Post
    The only people I've seen use it so far are the despreately single at Starbucks City Hall doing nothing but opening and closing apps, seeing if any girl is checking them out because of the iPad (they were not).
    Yeah, this gear is new, slick and cool. But it ain't gonna to attract the gals, just like a big white "phallic symbol" lens mounted on a big cam.

    To do it, you need much more, like a cool topless sports car, making lots of vroooom noise and a pair of cool sunglass.

    BTW, a Thinkpad, especially the T series, is right at the other extreme end of a cool device. My son keeps on saying that my Thinkpad looks so ancient, so unglam and so dated in design, like belonging to a grandpa. But, I just love it - the classic design.
    Do not be afraid [of ghost and bullies] Shoot them......

  7. #47

    Default Re: iPad

    Guys... anyone know where I can still get an iPad in Singapore...? All stocks seems to have gone...

  8. #48
    Senior Member sammy888's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    Singapore, Singapore, Singapor
    Posts
    1,568

    Default Re: iPad

    Quote Originally Posted by bousozoku View Post
    Your phone is too big, also. This whole thing of "bigger is better" just doesn't work for me. Put a high resolution display in a small device, please. When they have a 7 inch, 1280x768 display in an iPad, I'll be more likely to want it.
    I am 6 foot and it is only alittle bigger then the iphone in my hand and they call the iphone a brick way back then... Way better screen resolution and higher then iphone 4 who can't claim a higher res so call it a "retina" screen blah blah blah. heh. My only issue was for quick and dirty presentation which the HD2 can't do as excel can not do landscape mode without me modifying the HTC OS. The HD2 is a great iPod alternative for me which I find the iPad too big to be one as much as everyone calls it a overgrown iPod. And the Ipad is now my workhorse for presentation, quick glance at figures on the move(downloaded all my corporate data to it, keep track of schedule like a digital diary (my first one being the Apple Newton) and a better battery life that outlast longer my notebook, fast and direct access and start up then my notebook so people I present data to don't wait long, lighter to carry about for work and when i want to get into the loo to make a cake, it gives me more to see then my HD2 now though it was still fine and easier to carry in the loo. heheh Each with it's own fairly defined roles to play.... for an old techno geek like me anyway.
    Last edited by sammy888; 27th July 2010 at 05:51 PM.

  9. #49
    Senior Member sammy888's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    Singapore, Singapore, Singapor
    Posts
    1,568

    Default Re: iPad

    Quote Originally Posted by nsinggih View Post
    Guys... anyone know where I can still get an iPad in Singapore...? All stocks seems to have gone...

    Saw so many at Sim Lim Sq over the weekend. Try bargaining hehe. I hate those guys and had a good time digging them as they start to drop prices when it was announced that the Ipad was coming out on 23th.

    I am sure there are still Singapore units about if you try to call all the reseller outlets shown on apple website. But maybe if you are looking the highest capacity one and 3G you might be out of luck.

  10. #50
    Member
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Northern California
    Posts
    1,644

    Default Re: iPad

    Quote Originally Posted by sammy888 View Post
    I am 6 foot and it is only alittle bigger then the iphone in my hand and they call the iphone a brick way back then... Way better screen resolution and higher then iphone 4 who can't claim a higher res so call it a "retina" screen blah blah blah. heh. My only issue was for quick and dirty presentation which the HD2 can't do as excel can not do landscape mode without me modifying the HTC OS. The HD2 is a great iPod alternative for me which I find the iPad too big to be one as much as everyone calls it a overgrown iPod. And the Ipad is now my workhorse for presentation, quick glance at figures on the move(downloaded all my corporate data to it, keep track of schedule like a digital diary (my first one being the Apple Newton) and a better battery life that outlast longer my notebook, fast and direct access and start up then my notebook so people I present data to don't wait long, lighter to carry about for work and when i want to get into the loo to make a cake, it gives me more to see then my HD2 now though it was still fine and easier to carry in the loo. heheh Each with it's own fairly defined roles to play.... for an old techno geek like me anyway.
    I have a flip phone so all those candy bar shapes are too big.

    How is 960x640 a lower resolution than 800x480?

    As long as the combination works for you, fine, but I wouldn't be satisfied at this point in time, so I'll stick to something cheaper until they arrive where I want them to be.

  11. #51
    Senior Member +evenstar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Singapore / United Kingdom
    Posts
    5,655

    Default Re: iPad

    http://www.straitstimes.com/Breaking...ry_558780.html

    "The iPad overheats so quickly under common weather conditions that it does not function for prolonged use outdoors, or in many other warm conditions."
    eat. drink. shoot

  12. #52

    Default Re: iPad

    Quote Originally Posted by +evenstar View Post
    http://www.straitstimes.com/Breaking...ry_558780.html

    "The iPad overheats so quickly under common weather conditions that it does not function for prolonged use outdoors, or in many other warm conditions."
    I can think of 1 use for housewives .... read and play while ironing clothing, and can use to cook "sunny side" up while outdoor ...
    always the Light, .... always.

  13. #53

    Default Re: iPad

    Quote Originally Posted by nsinggih View Post
    Guys... anyone know where I can still get an iPad in Singapore...? All stocks seems to have gone...
    No worries, stocks coming in a weeks time.

    http://store.apple.com/sg/browse/hom...mco=OTY2ODA0NQ
    Fenders American Vintage '62 Stratocaster® Reissue

  14. #54

    Default Re: iPad

    Quote Originally Posted by +evenstar View Post
    http://www.straitstimes.com/Breaking...ry_558780.html

    "The iPad overheats so quickly under common weather conditions that it does not function for prolonged use outdoors, or in many other warm conditions."
    Haven't had this problem at all...

    People will whine about anything.

  15. #55
    Senior Member sammy888's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    Singapore, Singapore, Singapor
    Posts
    1,568

    Default Re: iPad

    Quote Originally Posted by bousozoku View Post
    I have a flip phone so all those candy bar shapes are too big.

    How is 960x640 a lower resolution than 800x480?

    As long as the combination works for you, fine, but I wouldn't be satisfied at this point in time, so I'll stick to something cheaper until they arrive where I want them to be.
    Okay you got me there on that one which I was think 3G spec iPhone.

    Hey I had e smallest motorola fold phone back then and used it way way pass it's time when color phones came out and mine was only a green screen but the form factor was just too sweet. If the battery did not become hard to find, i would still be using it. Still have it as a matte of fact heh.

    But ya,use what you buy, buy what you need to use. Just don't get slaves to marketing heroes. Logic should still count first.

  16. #56

    Default Re: iPad

    Out of the box the iPad is a crippled device, but this is precisely why so many people have come up with ways around its limitations. If you're willing to accept some compromises there are ways to run photoshop and other windows/mac programs on the ipad.

    Last edited by ArchRival; 28th July 2010 at 09:30 PM.

  17. #57

    Default Re: iPad

    Quote Originally Posted by Rashkae View Post
    The only people I've seen use it so far are the despreately single at Starbucks City Hall doing nothing but opening and closing apps, seeing if any girl is checking them out because of the iPad (they were not).
    Don't say that... I was really browsing through the magazines while sipping my ice Mocha at Starbucks. I never really looked up to see if any girls was checking me out...

  18. #58
    Member
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Northern California
    Posts
    1,644

    Default Re: iPad

    Quote Originally Posted by sammy888 View Post
    Okay you got me there on that one which I was think 3G spec iPhone.

    Hey I had e smallest motorola fold phone back then and used it way way pass it's time when color phones came out and mine was only a green screen but the form factor was just too sweet. If the battery did not become hard to find, i would still be using it. Still have it as a matte of fact heh.

    But ya,use what you buy, buy what you need to use. Just don't get slaves to marketing heroes. Logic should still count first.
    Absolutely, sir. Up until iPhone 4, it was 480x320 but that's still a good pixel density at 3.5 inches. Try to find a computer display at 163 ppi.

    I checked my Motorola StarTac in 2008 after 2 years since I was changing phones again and it still had enough battery power to turn on. Motorola seemed to be the battery life winner but they forgot how to compete.

    My three 3G phones (Samsung A900, LG Musiq/LX-570, LG Lotus/LX-600) seem to lose a lot of battery power just by opening the flip, especially the Samsung.

  19. #59
    Senior Member zoossh's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    8,725

    Default Re: iPad

    Quote Originally Posted by 9V-Orion Images View Post
    New MSD directive released last Friday, no electronic device including smartphone with a monitor or screen larger than 4.3 inch is to be brought into military installations even if they has no external or removable data storage device and USB port .
    reason being... ?

  20. #60
    Deregistered
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    Sembawang
    Posts
    149

    Default Re: iPad

    Quote Originally Posted by zoossh View Post
    reason being... ?
    Why ar? aiya all bring pager la...

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •