Thread: Architectural photography help

Default Architectural photography help

I am currently doing a project on Far East Square and I am supposed to do fieldwork to find out more about Far East Square. Any suggestions on the Manual settings if I want to take high quality photos of buildings?

Default Re: Architectural photography help

Hmmm... Your question is very vague... What kind of pictures do u need? and what is your project about? What gear do you have?

You don't need to use manual settings to take good photos of buildings.

And even if you use Manual mode, there is no 1 particular set of settings that guarantee good photos. My suggestion is to take note of angles, lighting and contrast, and look out for interesting designs or patterns.
    The best things in life are free.

Quote Originally Posted by chiangkxv View Post
    Hmmm... Your question is very vague... What kind of pictures do u need? and what is your project about? What gear do you have?
    I need pictures of shophouses. Since the infrastructure of Far East Square is very vibrant with primary colours painted on the buildings, I'm not too sure as to how to get the best photos.
    My project is mainly about highlighting the modernisation of the Far East Square area. Far East Square used to be a collection of shophouses before it was "modernised" into a shopping complex.
    I am planning to bring with me a Nikon D3000 with a 18-55mm lens and a Canon Powershot G11. Do you think I would require a tripod?

Quote Originally Posted by gymak90 View Post
    You don't need to use manual settings to take good photos of buildings.

And even if you use Manual mode, there is no 1 particular set of settings that guarantee good photos. My suggestion is to take note of angles, lighting and contrast, and look out for interesting designs or patterns.
    Very interesting suggestions! I will take note of what you have suggested, particular about the interesting patterns and designs as it fits perfectly with my project requirements. Usually, would you use a lower aperture setting to take pictures of vibrant colour schemes? And what kind of contrasts would be good with primary colours?

Quote Originally Posted by reventonrage View Post
    I am currently doing a project on Far East Square and I am supposed to do fieldwork to find out more about Far East Square. Any suggestions on the Manual settings if I want to take high quality photos of buildings?
    No hard fast rules.

Observe the light, mindful of ur framing, distortion, main focal elements etc.

Look here for inspiration
    I turned PRO in diaper chg!
    My Flickr|My Son

Quote Originally Posted by reventonrage View Post
    manual settings are the least of your troubles, if you know nothing about photography.

understanding how perspective, tilt, etc affects the verticals of your buildings will go a long way in architectural photography.

Since you have a 5D Mark II, if you have the wide angle use f/9 or smaller which provide you with good DOF, load into computer and check your work, if not happy re-shoot until it meet your objectives.

You might want to post in the forums and ask for comments.

Cheers!

Canon 5D II, 20-35 f/2.8L, 28-80 f/2.8L, 70-200 f/4L IS, 100-300 f/5.6L, 100 f/2.8 Macro

Have you made a trip down to recce for potential angles? Studied the light at different time of the day? Getting a good set of photos is more than just getting the settings right. It appears that you are not very sure about your approach. That makes it very difficult to set you in the right direction.

if you are doing this officially, get a letter from management to show the security guards or shops. Having access to certain areas may give a nicer perspective plus a sense of uniqueness.
    You wont see me much less remember me but i am the guy who makes you look good.

Thanks to all you guys for giving me suggestions! They really would help me in my project and for general knowledge purposes!