Thread: suggestion on macro lens for Nikon D5000

Default suggestion on macro lens for Nikon D5000

newbie here and want to ask what macro lens is compatible for Nikon D5000? i am still new in using dslr and would love to try macro perhaps. i understand that the only lenses that would work on Nikon D5000 is a DX lens so the question is if i want to buy a macro lens for such dslr what are the compatible lens?

Default Re: suggestion on macro lens for Nikon D5000

Quote Originally Posted by zalzalero8 View Post
    newbie here and want to ask what macro lens is compatible for Nikon D5000? i am still new in using dslr and would love to try macro perhaps. i understand that the only lenses that would work on Nikon D5000 is a DX lens so the question is if i want to buy a macro lens for such dslr what are the compatible lens?
    Try the new 60mm micro and the 105mm micro. Both have AF-S and are supported for use on the D5000 with full AF.

The other Nikon F-mount lenses can also be used but without the AF function. You can also consider the Tamrons if you are on a budget and dun mind using manual focusing.
    Michael Lim
    My Flickr Site

i understand that the only lenses that would work on Nikon D5000 is a DX lens so the question is if i want to buy a macro lens for such dslr what are the compatible lens?

That's wrong. You can also use the FX lenses. But you only get autofocus with AF-S and AF-I lenses.
    Alpha

thanks zac08. since i'm new to dslr, i really appreciate and comfortable using AF-S lens. i really haven't tried using manual focus since i got my Nikon d5000.
    i am also tight on budget but would really love to have a dedicated macro lens. any suggestion? is tamron a good choice or should i get the nikon macro lens?

Quote Originally Posted by zac08 View Post
    Try the new 60mm micro and the 105mm micro. Both have AF-S and are supported for use on the D5000 with full AF.

The other Nikon F-mount lenses can also be used but without the AF function. You can also consider the Tamrons if you are on a budget and dun mind using manual focusing.
    thanks zac08. since i'm new to dslr, i really appreciate and comfortable using AF-S lens. i really haven't tried using manual focus since i got my Nikon d5000.
    i am also tight on budget but would really love to have a dedicated macro lens. any suggestion? is tamron a good choice or should i get the nikon macro lens?

One issue is that the smaller entry level cameras aren't that well suited for manual focusing work. You'll need a bit of practise and also probably a tripod to keep things still as you focus.

I go for a hit and miss type of macro shooting (using AF) which does not go down to full 1:1 but it's still macro in my opinion.

So if you have about $800-900, you can consider the AF-S 60mm (according to the price guide)

The Tamron 90mm would be about $600 or so.

Note that these are brand new pricing guides. If you get second-hand, should be able to save a lil bit more.

If you wanna consider the Tamron, I would suggest that you switch your current lens off to MF mode and practise a bit first. See if you like it and can get used to it first. You'll see the green dot on the VF when you are in focus.
    Michael Lim
    My Flickr Site

The nikon af-s 60mm and tamron 90mm are good choices for your budget. You will get AF with the nikon 60mm. But do note that manual focusing plays a bigger role in macro photography than anywhere else.

So you should try out how it feels to manual focus. If you get impatient after awhile, then I strongly suggest the af-s 60mm for you
    The best things in life are free.

Quote Originally Posted by zac08 View Post
    One issue is that the smaller entry level cameras aren't that well suited for manual focusing work. You'll need a bit of practise and also probably a tripod to keep things still as you focus.

I go for a hit and miss type of macro shooting (using AF) which does not go down to full 1:1 but it's still macro in my opinion.

So if you have about $800-900, you can consider the AF-S 60mm (according to the price guide)

The Tamron 90mm would be about $600 or so.

Note that these are brand new pricing guides. If you get second-hand, should be able to save a lil bit more.

If you wanna consider the Tamron, I would suggest that you switch your current lens off to MF mode and practise a bit first. See if you like it and can get used to it first. You'll see the green dot on the VF when you are in focus.
    i've done the hit and miss type of macro shooting since i got my dslr . i always go for the 1:1 and really considered this as macro . with the feedbacks i got from people seeing my photos, they thought i am already using macro lens (means i'm doing good, right?) and this encourages me to really get one because i really love macro photos.

thank you so much for your time and effort to answer my questions. at least now i got an idea on what to get. i am aiming for the nikon macro lens and will try to save from now on to buy it. thanks again!

hi, i thought there is still the new AF-S Nikkor 85mm f3.5 DX, so TS, if you are not going to upgrade to FX that soon, can consider this lens. Read a few reviews, this lens like not bad, maybe can give it a try at some shops?

Anyway, have fun shooting.
    Nikon D90 | 18-105mm G | 20mm f/2.8D | 85mm f/1.8D | SB 600 => view my flickr

Quote Originally Posted by gymak90 View Post
    The nikon af-s 60mm and tamron 90mm are good choices for your budget. You will get AF with the nikon 60mm. But do note that manual focusing plays a bigger role in macro photography than anywhere else.

So you should try out how it feels to manual focus. If you get impatient after awhile, then I strongly suggest the af-s 60mm for you
    thanks for the advice. i know i should learn to use the manual focusing but were too comfortable using the auto focusing. but from now on, as you guys have told me so, i'll try to use MF... for my own sake. i'll just keep on trying then when my budget is enough, that's the time i'll decide which lens to get. thanks again!

Some of macro lenses that will auto focus with your D5000 are Nikon AFS 60mm, Nikon AFS 105mm, Nikon AFS 85mm DX, Tamron SP 90mm, Sigma 150mm HSM or Sigma 180mm HSM. All depends on your budget and the working distance you require. If budget is your constrain, you may even consider those old but still producing top notch optic AI Micro-Nikkor 55mm at below $200 from the B&S section, but you have to MF and meter mannually.