Thread: What constitutes journalistic photography?

Default What constitutes journalistic photography?

Is there any kind of standards or is it just a kind of 'feeling' that the photo brings to the viewer?

I'm quite confused over some studios/photographers offering journalistic photography and charging a different rate as the 'normal' photography.

Can anyone please enlighten me?

Quote Originally Posted by Linkster
    Is there any kind of standards or is it just a kind of 'feeling' that the photo brings to the viewer?

I'm quite confused over some studios/photographers offering journalistic photography and charging a different rate as the 'normal' photography.

Can anyone please enlighten me?
    i think its the feeling of the place and how this feeling is conveyed to the viewer through the picture... i dun think there's things as 'special' journalistic photography'. Its a rip off... best way to go do this type of photography is out of the studio and into the environment.
    The equipment can only bring you so far - the rest of the photographic journey is done by you.

In simple terms, it means capturing the event as it unfolds, capturing moments, etc, as opposed to the boring normal posed stuff.

Regards
    CK

gor journalistic photography...the essence of the moment must be caught....the feelings and moods have to be portrayed to the viewer.... for example you dun expect to take a photo of a man selling noodles in an article that says "peril" or something....
    subjects must be right yada yada yada...

thanks for all the replies..

think i'm clearer on this now..

a good journalistic photo tells a story, or has a story to tell. it can be posed IMHO, but posed with a purpose or a view to tell a story. my 2 cents worth...

larry's on the right track

Journalistic shooting, or more correctly photojournalist style attempts to emulate the work of press photographers whose ideal images encapsulate a story in a single image or series of images. In the best shots the image combines an emotional component as well as relating to the larger story, however in many cases the work is used to allow the reader to visualise a scene that is being reported by the printed word.
    The Ang Moh from Hell
    Professional Photography - many are called, few are chosen!

i think there're too many of the wedding studios and photographers out there who use quote "photojouranlistic photography" as a choice of package and charge different fees for the shoot. i really don't see how when one has a wedding, he or she is to choose between "normal" photography and "photojouranlistic" photography.

i must say, yeah, sometimes it's a bit of a rip off. it's just the "in" thing, the fad now to quote "photojournalistic".

sometimes while walking pass photography shops for wedding, i tend to see many different photos in different angles. but dun know how to rate which is better than which...

[QUOTE=sequitur]i think there're too many of the wedding studios and photographers out there who use quote "photojouranlistic photography" as a choice of package and charge different fees for the shoot. i really don't see how when one has a wedding, he or she is to choose between "normal" photography and "photojouranlistic" photography.
    QUOTE]

My understanding when I was looking for actual day photographers,

"Normal" photography - more Posed shots, less candid shots. Table to Table, tea ceremony... group photo etc. No shots taken when walking down stairscase etc...

Photojournalistic style - more shots (more film used)... linked to tell a story.