Thread: Invasion by Lenses (Travel PG's etiquette while taking local's portrait)

Default Invasion by Lenses (Travel PG's etiquette while taking local's portrait)

Read this from my friend's blog... it's written in Mandarin though - http://bbs.news.163.com/bbs/photo/181381927.html

Short summary, tones of PGs shooting locals at Si Chuan (四川郎木寺), even when the locals kept avoiding the tele lenses by covering their faces. And many of them were so aggressive to point their lenses right in front of the locals faces.

Some examples:

Feel so sad for the people residing in the tourists spot in inner China. So it might be getting harder and harder for a PG to capture live portrait of locals if these things go on.
    Last edited by szeping; 21st July 2010 at 11:53 PM.
    思斌的部落格 - szeping.com
    Wedding/Event Photography - 10eyesGallery.com

Default Re: Invasion by Lenses (Travel PG's etiquette while taking local's portrait)

can't read.

but wow, the locals pulling aggro like crazy. lol.

Default Re: Invasion by Lenses (Travel PG's etiquette while taking local's portrait)

The problem with travel photographers going in a group.

Cos they see many nice portrait photos of the natives and they dying to take some with their own. . . . so sad.

to be honest, i think potentially this is a fake/posed report.

in some of the shots, you see the photographers using 70-200 lens shooting portraits from 2 metres of the target? 70-200mm at 70mm, maybe headshot... but there is even one guy using the canon 100-400 at full zoom (fully extended), 400mm focal length, 2 metres from the subject.... are they shooting their eyelashes?

Hence I think this may be a posed/fake report used to generate ill-will against photographers.

Last edited by ricleo; 22nd July 2010 at 11:40 AM. Reason: add pictures from the website n typo correction
    A7R3|V12|V15|FE28|MS17|MS35|MS50|50lux|50C|50Artis an|FD85L|FE85|90 cron|
    Σ24|35L|Σ50|135L|70-200G2

but it happens. if you take a look at asterixsg's thread, there is mention of a case where it happens.

even if it is a posed report, let's just take this as a reminder to respect our subjects.

if the subject appears very aware of my camera when i appear, i will usually ask for permission before i shoot, via gestures, etc.

In our eagerness, we so often get carried away.
    Especially so when we are travelling, and find ourselves coming upon a scene that we never see back home.
    Or seeing people in unique local tribal costumes whom we have never seen.
    Yes, we just have to be constantly mindful.

Quote Originally Posted by ricleo View Post

in some of the shots, you see the photographers using 70-200 lens shooting portraits from 2 metres of the target? 70-200mm at 70mm, maybe headshot... but there is even one guy using the canon 100-400 at full zoom (fully extended), 400mm focal length, 2 metres from the subject.... are they shooting their eyelashes?
    might be shooting someone further down the row.

Quote Originally Posted by night86mare View Post
    might be shooting someone further down the row.
    quite true, and I agree that even if this is posed, this serves as a reminder to respect your subject.

Never been to such tribal areas before, any brothers who have witnessed/been in such situations before?
    A7R3|V12|V15|FE28|MS17|MS35|MS50|50lux|50C|50Artis an|FD85L|FE85|90 cron|
    Σ24|35L|Σ50|135L|70-200G2

This is disgusting..... If i was there, ill mount my biggest lenses and do the same to them...

Blog Entries

oh....... this is what we call 'everyone singing the same ol' song' or nursery rhyming ..... nice jingles that basically everyone knows but nothing new is said

great photography is like reading a great book........ new fresh ideas and plots
    Last edited by ed9119; 22nd July 2010 at 02:22 PM.
    shaddap and just shoot .... up close
    Walkeast

Quote Originally Posted by ricleo View Post
    Never been to such tribal areas before, any brothers who have witnessed/been in such situations before?
    There was a photographer travelling with us in a sightseeing minibus to a long house. He looked like a pro or something with big camera and long lenses.

We stopped at a tribal village for a night to see the bonfire feast ceremony performed by the jungle tribes.

The photographer went out alone with his camera with great enthusiasm in the evening.

Next morning as we walked past the bonfire site, we saw a badly burnt camera and a Nikon bag in the ashes.

So be very afraid when you think you are the next National Geographic shooter in the making. You may end up as someone's feast instead.

Quote Originally Posted by Sion View Post
    There was a photographer travelling with us in a sightseeing minibus to a long house. He looked like a pro or something with big camera and long lenses.
    The photographer went out alone with his camera with great enthusiasm in the evening.

Next morning as we walked past the bonfire site, we saw a badly burnt camera and a Nikon bag in the ashes.

Uncle sion, you serious?

We stopped at a tribal village for a night to see the bonfire feast ceremony performed by the jungle tribes.

So be very afraid when you think you are the next National Geographic shooter in the making. You may end up as someone's feast instead.

Cool story bro!
    Last edited by coolsigg; 22nd July 2010 at 04:05 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by arctos View Post

Uncle sion, you serious?

Last edited by Sion; 22nd July 2010 at 04:38 PM.

So the photographer was cooked/eaten?

be afraid... be very afraid...
    Exploring! :)

I believe those tribal fellas at the bonfire must be die-hard Canon users...
    Fujifilm X-Pro2 Graphite, X-Pro1
    XF 14/2.8, 18/2, 23/2, 35/1.4, 56/1.2, 60/2.4, 55-200/3.5-4.8

Well, get real la.

Here in SG, do you see young and attractive syt wearing the Nonya dress in the streets? Only the old grandma would wear that dress, except Joanne Peh in the TV sitcom.

So, same situation in China. Those who wear their tradi dresses are the old grandmas. You can find xmm in those tradi dress only in cultural shows and in the teahouses entertaining customers in their tradi song and dance, or in some shops selling souvenirs to tourists.

As in many other places, such culture and traditions are dying. But, they still try to milk it to attract tourist with their cultural shows, and souvenir shops and some museums etc.....

OZ bushman, NZ Maori etc, - you go to see their cultural shows, their villages and so forth, they are all for show and quite often fake ones. I will try to see if I could find a pic I took in NZ.......
    Do not be afraid [of ghost and bullies] Shoot them......

Quote Originally Posted by yrh0413 View Post
    I believe those tribal fellas at the bonfire must be die-hard Canon users...
    but isn't that a Canon that got burnt?
    Exploring! :)