Thread: Christ....

Unhappy Christ....

greetings all clubsnappers!

got quite a problem here. hmmm....i'm using finepix f420 and i realised nowadays my shootings are getting from bad to worse. ghost images and the auto-focuses are really bad. especially the shaky hand icon is always on the screen. and that warning proved that it was indeed shaky, after i've taken it. the problem is, i dun usually have these kind of problems when taking SCENERY...it happens most of the time in portraits/group fotos....i really need some tips on correcting this mistake of mine. shud i like practise holding the cam in shooting position for like 6 hrs a day to stabilise my shootings? i've have to admit that altough its small and handy, the real flaw comes from its handyness cos its really too small! a bit of movement can really spoil the entire pic! any remedy for me pls? i need help man.....

Quote Originally Posted by jonlou
    greetings all clubsnappers!

got quite a problem here. hmmm....i'm using finepix f420 and i realised nowadays my shootings are getting from bad to worse. ghost images and the auto-focuses are really bad. especially the shaky hand icon is always on the screen. and that warning proved that it was indeed shaky, after i've taken it. the problem is, i dun usually have these kind of problems when taking SCENERY...it happens most of the time in portraits/group fotos....i really need some tips on correcting this mistake of mine. shud i like practise holding the cam in shooting position for like 6 hrs a day to stabilise my shootings? i've have to admit that altough its small and handy, the real flaw comes from its handyness cos its really too small! a bit of movement can really spoil the entire pic! any remedy for me pls? i need help man.....
    a tripod might help! well u could stand there for 6 hrs a day practising... that would be hard work but how bout check the shutter speed if its possible as it might be open too long so that ur shaky hand will affect the image...
    The equipment can only bring you so far - the rest of the photographic journey is done by you.

haiyo! can u define shutter speed in ur own words for me and wat does it do??? (u are allowed to slap me for this!)

haiyo! can u define shutter speed in ur own words for me and wat does it do??? (u are allowed to slap me for this!)
    shutter speed: time the shutter is open to allow light to fall on the sensor/film.

A long shutter speed means that if your camera shakes during the time the shutter is open, you are going to get blurry images due to the shake.

Remedy: practise your handholding technique. Keep your arms close to your body, no chickens allowed! Keep your left hand under the camera to support it. Lightly squeeze the shutter, don't jerk. Exhale when pressing the shutter. Try bracing yourself against something.

Default :kok: :hammer:

hehe...
    The equipment can only bring you so far - the rest of the photographic journey is done by you.

Quote Originally Posted by justarius
    shutter speed: time the shutter is open to allow light to fall on the sensor/film.

A long shutter speed means that if your camera shakes during the time the shutter is open, you are going to get blurry images due to the shake.

Remedy: practise your handholding technique. Keep your arms close to your body, no chickens allowed! Keep your left hand under the camera to support it. Lightly squeeze the shutter, don't jerk. Exhale when pressing the shutter. Try bracing yourself against something.
    hmmm...thanks! so for all pictures the faster the shutter speed the better? my cam manuel features : ' 2 sec. to 1/2000sec. (depend on Exposure mode)'
    hmmm...explaination of this example someone?

hmmm...thanks! so for all pictures the faster the shutter speed the better? my cam manuel features : ' 2 sec. to 1/2000sec. (depend on Exposure mode)'
    well your shutter speed depends on how u want to capture ur subject. If u want to capture a moving subject or a very lowly lit subject, use a longer shutter speed. If u want to stop motion use a faster shutter speed. Well its a general rule of thumb. Exposure mode i'm not too sure of but i'll give a stab at it anyways. I dunno about that camera u are using but i think if it has a semi-manual mode on the camera there should be something like Av and Tv modes... Aperture and Shutter Priority respectively. These modes control which u want to control first. Can't explain further, will go over word limit... umm.. if ur camera doesn't have that i believe that exposure mode would be its program settings... say for example if u use the sports mode, the camera will try to adjust to have as high a shutter speed as possible... anyone plz correct me if i'm wrong... merci beaucoup!

It all depends on what you want to achieve. As nickmak has illustrated, different shutter speeds give you different effects. For minimising camera shake, you should try to aim for a faster shutter speed. General rule of thumb is 1/focal length, eg shooting with a 50mm lens, you can general handhold without camera shake showing at 1/50 s shutter speed.

Think you might want to consider a tripod...

Also, if you want to learn more about shutter speeds, aperture etc, try your local library under section 700+

Quote Originally Posted by justarius
    It all depends on what you want to achieve. As nickmak has illustrated, different shutter speeds give you different effects. For minimising camera shake, you should try to aim for a faster shutter speed. General rule of thumb is 1/focal length, eg shooting with a 50mm lens, you can general handhold without camera shake showing at 1/50 s shutter speed.

Think you might want to consider a tripod...

Also, if you want to learn more about shutter speeds, aperture etc, try your local library under section 700+
    Sorry to butt in again... couldn't resist... i highly recommend the 'National Geographic Field Guide series'. These should really help u to understanding photography. Almost everything is pointed out there. U can get that book in Kinokuniya at Takashimaya...

Quote Originally Posted by nickmak
    Sorry to butt in again... couldn't resist... i highly recommend the 'National Geographic Field Guide series'. These should really help u to understanding photography. Almost everything is pointed out there. U can get that book in Kinokuniya at Takashimaya...
    looks like i've got A LOT to read up on. thanks for both of ur tips anyway! seriously, noobish here really appreciates it.