Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Nikon 3D tracking

Default Re: Nikon 3D tracking

Appreciate the explanation

My Nikon D90 has 4 modes for selecting the AF-area.

(Pg. 173 on the D90 user manual)

*Single point (default setting for macro mode)
    *Dynamic area (default setting for sports mode)
    *Auto-area (default setting for auto/no-flash/sports/landscape/portrait/P,S,A&M)
    *3D-tracking (11 points).

3D-tracking:
    In AF-A (automatic) and AF-C (continuous) autofocus modes, user selects focus point using multi selector. If user changed composition after focusing, camera uses 3D-tracking to select new focus point and keep focus locked on original subject while shutter-release button is pressed halfway. Use to recompose photographs while shooting relatively static subjects. If subject leaves viewfinder, remove your finger from shutter-release button and recompose photograph with subject in selected focus point. In AF-S (stationary) autofocus mode, user selects focus point manually, camera focuses on subject in selected focus point only.
    ex-Nikon owner - now only iPhone :/

3D Tracking is also useful if the cameraman if shooting from a moving vehicle. On a recent work trip I took a number of aerial shots from a plane and all photo are sharply in focus.

Quote Originally Posted by betta01 View Post
    3D Tracking is also useful if the cameraman if shooting from a moving vehicle. On a recent work trip I took a number of aerial shots from a plane and all photo are sharply in focus.
    Set the lens VR (Vibration Reduction) to the "active" mode, did you ? In case the plane running into turbulent weather. Good practice if you are shooting on a moving platform.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12