Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 21 to 33 of 33

Thread: 40D or D90 good for shooting nature

  1. #21

    Default Re: 40D or D90 good for shooting nature

    Quote Originally Posted by evolution7 View Post
    I like your colour constrast and reflection.. If you want to get an 70-300 is good if ure standing far away...
    Thanks for the kind comments. To be frank, the contrast came as a surprise. Actually was playing around with the ISO; S and A priority setting. Hope to be good enough to know exactly what setting I need to frame the picture in my mind soon...

  2. #22

    Default Re: 40D or D90 good for shooting nature

    Quote Originally Posted by daredevil123 View Post
    The money you save from getting a D70 instead of a D90, or a 450D instead of a 40D is not going to be significant enough to get lenses and supports (tripod, gimbals... etc) suited for birding.

    There is no telephoto label. 18-270 is tele yes, and so is the 70-300. But both these lenses' characteristics, optical quality and speed will not be able to give you satisfactory result if you are interested in chasing birds. Especially moving birds. And when you use tele, camera shake is very very pronounced. You will have to get a very solid support system. All these things cost quite a bit of money.

    Not trying to throw cold water at you. But just think you should have all the information before you rush in to buy something which you might regret later. I think you need to do more research on birding.
    Hmmm... This hobby is starting to get very interesting. Good point there, researching on birding. I am more of a do-while-learning person hence did not read up profusely. If i did that, i'd probably end up back to square one..... Of spendng months on theories, yet not 1 shot fired....

    Actually I got a D50, as I probably would make a mistake in my first purchase, hence cost real low. If after muddling through and I still can't take a good bird shot, at least I had picked up some basic skills while enjoying the stroll in the park. Good stress reliever from hectic workin life.

    So I guess what's needed is a good support for the body and telephoto?

    Saw this being quite popular, anyone has a more cost effective recommendation?
    Manfrotto 190XPROB Pro Tripod Black + 804RC2 - 3 Way Head

  3. #23
    Moderator daredevil123's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    lil red dot
    Posts
    21,627
    Blog Entries
    1

    Default Re: 40D or D90 good for shooting nature

    Quote Originally Posted by taikoshin View Post
    Hmmm... This hobby is starting to get very interesting. Good point there, researching on birding. I am more of a do-while-learning person hence did not read up profusely. If i did that, i'd probably end up back to square one..... Of spendng months on theories, yet not 1 shot fired....

    Actually I got a D50, as I probably would make a mistake in my first purchase, hence cost real low. If after muddling through and I still can't take a good bird shot, at least I had picked up some basic skills while enjoying the stroll in the park. Good stress reliever from hectic workin life.

    So I guess what's needed is a good support for the body and telephoto?

    Saw this being quite popular, anyone has a more cost effective recommendation?
    Manfrotto 190XPROB Pro Tripod Black + 804RC2 - 3 Way Head
    Here are some info on birding

    http://www.digitalbirdphotography.com/4.1.html

    http://www.dphotojournal.com/bird-photography-tips/

    http://photo.net/learn/nature/birdfaq

  4. #24

    Default Re: 40D or D90 good for shooting nature

    My mentor does extensive birding, and his equipment tops S$50,000. I suppose if you view that as an end point, then you show really seek to improve your skills now.

    1. Get the best you can afford. This means:
    a) Get the longest and fastest lens you can afford.
    b) Get the best dSLR body you can afford. In particular, get one with good auto focus ability and possibly decent high ISO capabilities, if your lens is slow.
    c) Get a decent tripod. (With you current setup, it's probably fairly light. Most sub-S$500 tripod setups are more than sufficient)

    2. Start getting the skills.

  5. #25

    Default Re: 40D or D90 good for shooting nature

    Definitely will, thanks for the encouragement.

  6. #26

    Default Re: 40D or D90 good for shooting nature

    Great links... Now that I have a lot of reading up to do... Guess I will not be back to the forum anytime soon. Cheers. And happy shootng

  7. #27
    Senior Member zac08's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    East
    Posts
    11,755

    Default Re: 40D or D90 good for shooting nature

    Quote Originally Posted by taikoshin View Post
    Hi all,

    Been browsing this site for a few months now but still yet to decide on a camera.

    Would like to get a resale set to 'play' while picking up photography skills.


    Will 40D or D90 be ok to take some nature scenes in Punggol? E.g. Sunrise / Flora / Fauna / or long shot of birds across the river or up in the sky?

    Thank you for entertaining this newbie question

    Michael
    BOTH works, it's more with the lens choice you'd need to make.
    Michael Lim
    My Flickr Site

  8. #28

    Default Re: 40D or D90 good for shooting nature

    i would say, go for the nikon D90 though im a canon user

  9. #29
    Member gymak90's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    The Far North
    Posts
    1,448

    Default Re: 40D or D90 good for shooting nature

    Quote Originally Posted by taikoshin View Post
    Hmmm... This hobby is starting to get very interesting. Good point there, researching on birding. I am more of a do-while-learning person hence did not read up profusely. If i did that, i'd probably end up back to square one..... Of spendng months on theories, yet not 1 shot fired....

    Actually I got a D50, as I probably would make a mistake in my first purchase, hence cost real low. If after muddling through and I still can't take a good bird shot, at least I had picked up some basic skills while enjoying the stroll in the park. Good stress reliever from hectic workin life.

    So I guess what's needed is a good support for the body and telephoto?

    Saw this being quite popular, anyone has a more cost effective recommendation?
    Manfrotto 190XPROB Pro Tripod Black + 804RC2 - 3 Way Head
    It's good that you get a simple setup to try out your interest in birding. Do note that if you get serious into birding, be prepared to spend lots and lots.
    The best things in life are free.

  10. #30
    Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Bedok
    Posts
    432

    Default Re: 40D or D90 good for shooting nature

    Hi I've not done birding neither do I owned these lens but I have been eyeing on this and hope this will help a little in you getting the lens.

    http://www.clubsnap.com/forums/showthread.php?t=739174

    if budget is tight can actually get the 600mm f8 from sigma, not the best but at least it does not burn a big hole in your pocket. Iirc Cathay photo has a promo with manfrotto tripod and ball head which is quite good deal, u may wish to drop by to check it out.
    D90-MB80|N18-105|N50 1.8|T180 M.|GT1541T|Q3T|Up48|SB900|
    BBB Virus will Devour your Soul.

  11. #31
    Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Bedok
    Posts
    432

    Default Re: 40D or D90 good for shooting nature

    Quote Originally Posted by Blur Shadow View Post
    My mentor does extensive birding, and his equipment tops S$50,000. I suppose if you view that as an end point, then you show really seek to improve your skills now.

    1. Get the best you can afford. This means:
    a) Get the longest and fastest lens you can afford.
    b) Get the best dSLR body you can afford. In particular, get one with good auto focus ability and possibly decent high ISO capabilities, if your lens is slow.
    c) Get a decent tripod. (With you current setup, it's probably fairly light. Most sub-S$500 tripod setups are more than sufficient)

    2. Start getting the skills.
    That's alot man... Can easily clear 80% of the normal saloon car installment
    D90-MB80|N18-105|N50 1.8|T180 M.|GT1541T|Q3T|Up48|SB900|
    BBB Virus will Devour your Soul.

  12. #32

    Default Re: 40D or D90 good for shooting nature

    Quote Originally Posted by VainKid View Post
    Hi I've not done birding neither do I owned these lens but I have been eyeing on this and hope this will help a little in you getting the lens.

    http://www.clubsnap.com/forums/showthread.php?t=739174

    if budget is tight can actually get the 600mm f8 from sigma, not the best but at least it does not burn a big hole in your pocket. Iirc Cathay photo has a promo with manfrotto tripod and ball head which is quite good deal, u may wish to drop by to check it out.
    Wow, saw one sigma 600mm at $250. But sold already. It's just what I need. Thanks, will keep looking.

    Btw, can anyone point me to a good thread showing how to do bokeh? If using prime lens of fix f number, what will A priority setting on body do? The more I read the more I am confuse between A, S Priority setting with non Prime and prime lens.

    Thanks

  13. #33

    Default Re: 40D or D90 good for shooting nature

    Can't find a suitable telephoto... and i can't get any bird near enough to do bokeh. Hence a flower will suffice for now.

    The flower keep moving with the wind and i have difficulty getting the correct distance. Anyone have a good way of judging?

    http://www.flickr.com/photos/52889709@N04/4913738326/

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •