Results 1 to 18 of 18

Thread: Pocket compact camera

  1. #1
    Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2002
    Location
    Tampines, Singapore
    Posts
    100

    Default Pocket compact camera

    I currently own a m43 G1, but would like to buy a pocketable digital compact for light travel use.

    Looking at the following:

    1) Sony HX5V
    2) Fujifilm F80EXR
    3) Canon IXUS 300HS

    My criteria are as follow:
    1) Good IQ
    2) Low light performance
    3) HD video recording

    So which?

  2. #2

    Default Re: Pocket compact camera

    Quote Originally Posted by RSKeisuke View Post
    I currently own a m43 G1, but would like to buy a pocketable digital compact for light travel use.

    Looking at the following:

    1) Sony HX5V
    2) Fujifilm F80EXR
    3) Canon IXUS 300HS

    My criteria are as follow:
    1) Good IQ
    2) Low light performance
    3) HD video recording

    So which?
    OMG. Please, can you please please please TRY TO SEARCH ONLINE?? Even DPReview has done extensive reviews, comparisons, etc.

    Please do some research on your own. Don't just post a rojak list of cameras without showing what effort you yourself have done to actually go out and test them, to read the reviews, etc.

    I mean seriously, the Fuji fans will say fuji, the Canon fans will say Canon, the Sony fans will say Sony.

    If you want hard facts and side-by-side comparisons, you only need to use 10% of the effort you put into posting this thread into learning and researching on your own instead of expecting people to make your decisions for you.
    Last edited by Rashkae; 20th July 2010 at 08:50 PM.
    Alpha

  3. #3
    Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2002
    Location
    Tampines, Singapore
    Posts
    100

    Default Re: Pocket compact camera

    Quote Originally Posted by Rashkae View Post
    OMG. Please, can you please please please TRY TO SEARCH ONLINE?? Even DPReview has done extensive reviews, comparisons, etc.

    Please do some research on your own. Don't just post a rojak list of cameras without showing what effort you yourself have done to actually go out and test them, to read the reviews, etc.

    I mean seriously, the Fuji fans will say fuji, the Canon fans will say Canon, the Sony fans will say Sony.

    If you want hard facts and side-by-side comparisons, you only need to use 10% of the effort you put into posting this thread into learning and researching on your own instead of expecting people to make your decisions for you.
    perhaps i did not post enough details to make you think that i have not done my research.

    the HX5V has slow interface from the reviews i read, while the IQ of the f80exr is actually not as great as its predecessor the f70exr and the IXUS 300HS not the cheapest...

    thats why i'm asking for views and opinion here.

  4. #4

    Default Re: Pocket compact camera

    Quote Originally Posted by RSKeisuke View Post
    perhaps i did not post enough details to make you think that i have not done my research.

    the HX5V has slow interface from the reviews i read, while the IQ of the f80exr is actually not as great as its predecessor the f70exr and the IXUS 300HS not the cheapest...

    thats why i'm asking for views and opinion here.
    "Slow interface" was not one of your criteria. So it meets everything else? Then you have your choice.
    Alpha

  5. #5
    Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2002
    Location
    Tampines, Singapore
    Posts
    100

    Default Re: Pocket compact camera

    Quote Originally Posted by Rashkae View Post
    "Slow interface" was not one of your criteria. So it meets everything else? Then you have your choice.
    ok thanks for sharing your view

  6. #6

    Default Re: Pocket compact camera

    it is a matter of personal preference, so effectively trying to poll for opinions is not effective - if there are pressing problems and gripes with particular cameras, you bet there'd be people singing about it.

    you are you, a is a , b is b.. just because a and b like camera z doesn't mean that you will like it too.

    i think that's the point rashkae is trying to make. so advice is to think through these 3 if you have shortlisted them, go down to the shops and spend some quality time trying them out. and buy the one that you like best.

  7. #7

    Default Re: Pocket compact camera

    Quote Originally Posted by RSKeisuke View Post
    I currently own a m43 G1, but would like to buy a pocketable digital compact for light travel use.

    Looking at the following:

    1) Sony HX5V
    2) Fujifilm F80EXR
    3) Canon IXUS 300HS

    My criteria are as follow:
    1) Good IQ
    2) Low light performance
    3) HD video recording

    So which?
    Just bought Fujifilm JZ300 for only $249!!!
    Good IQ with ISO below 400
    Good low light performance using tripod
    HD video recording
    10x optical zoom !

  8. #8

    Default Re: Pocket compact camera

    Hi, I have HX5V and after using nex5, I don't like HX5V because with nex5, I shoot pana like
    machine gun, enjoyable toy.

  9. #9

    Default Re: Pocket compact camera

    Quote Originally Posted by henry soh View Post
    Hi, I have HX5V and after using nex5, I don't like HX5V because with nex5, I shoot pana like
    machine gun, enjoyable toy.
    Thats y i dun like nex5. coz it shoots pano like machine gun... the more you shoot the shorter the life span of the shutter gets... i hope you extended your warranty..

  10. #10

    Default Re: Pocket compact camera

    Quote Originally Posted by Shoooters View Post
    Thats y i dun like nex5. coz it shoots pano like machine gun... the more you shoot the shorter the life span of the shutter gets... i hope you extended your warranty..
    Erm. A Pano shot is taken in a SINGLE long exposure. And the NEX-5 has no shutter, so do you even know what you're talking about?
    Alpha

  11. #11

    Default Re: Pocket compact camera

    I am really puzzled actually.

    During film era, people try to "ration" their shoots as not to waste too much film, so it was digitize so as people can now shoot as many as they want.

    But it seems people now are "again" having to restrict themselves due to shutter count....it's really ironic....so we are back to film days again?

    Just enjoy shooting...

  12. #12

    Default Re: Pocket compact camera

    Quote Originally Posted by RSKeisuke View Post
    I currently own a m43 G1, but would like to buy a pocketable digital compact for light travel use.

    Looking at the following:

    1) Sony HX5V
    2) Fujifilm F80EXR
    3) Canon IXUS 300HS

    My criteria are as follow:
    1) Good IQ
    2) Low light performance
    3) HD video recording

    So which?
    Coming back to TS question, I would say HX5 and 300HS meets your criteria.

    However do note that 300HS AF is not as fast as the other 2.

    If you have tried HX5 or any recent Sony PNS, you will know what AF speed I am talking about...it's amazing...

  13. #13

    Default Re: Pocket compact camera

    Quote Originally Posted by Rashkae View Post
    Erm. A Pano shot is taken in a SINGLE long exposure. And the NEX-5 has no shutter, so do you even know what you're talking about?
    I doubt that you have tried pano with NEX5? if you've tried, u will know wat i'm talking abt.
    Last edited by Shoooters; 21st July 2010 at 02:05 PM.

  14. #14

    Default Re: Pocket compact camera

    Quote Originally Posted by Shoooters View Post
    have you tried pano with NEX5? if you've tried, u will know wat i'm talking abt.
    Yes I have. And there is no shutter to worry about. It's an EVIL camera design, there is no mirror-box assembly with a limited lifespan. Different technologies.
    Alpha

  15. #15

    Default Re: Pocket compact camera

    Quote Originally Posted by Rashkae View Post
    Yes I have. And there is no shutter to worry about. It's an EVIL camera design, there is no mirror-box assembly with a limited lifespan. Different technologies.
    Then.. can you explain to me what is making the machine gun noise while taking the pano?
    oh yes.. i didn't say anything abt mirror. i'm refering to the shutter.
    Last edited by Shoooters; 21st July 2010 at 02:14 PM.

  16. #16

    Default Re: Pocket compact camera

    Quote Originally Posted by Shoooters View Post
    Then.. can you explain to me what is making the machine gun noise while taking the pano?
    oh yes.. i didn't say anything abt mirror. i'm refering to the shutter.
    The curtain in front of a sensor is different from the concept of "shutter life" with traditional DSLR cameras. So you don't need to worry about shutter life.
    Alpha

  17. #17

    Default Re: Pocket compact camera

    Quote Originally Posted by Rashkae View Post
    The curtain in front of a sensor is different from the concept of "shutter life" with traditional DSLR cameras. So you don't need to worry about shutter life.
    To me.. any mechanical parts that moves will have a life span, especially if you often use burst shot and pano. so it is advisable to extend your warranty.. just in case.
    Last edited by Shoooters; 21st July 2010 at 02:49 PM.

  18. #18
    Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2002
    Location
    Western SG
    Posts
    1,537

    Default Re: Pocket compact camera

    Quote Originally Posted by RSKeisuke View Post
    perhaps i did not post enough details to make you think that i have not done my research.

    the HX5V has slow interface from the reviews i read, while the IQ of the f80exr is actually not as great as its predecessor the f70exr and the IXUS 300HS not the cheapest...

    thats why i'm asking for views and opinion here.
    What about S90? I think one of clubsnap member had did a well written review.

    http://www.clubsnap.com/forums/showp...5&postcount=13

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •