Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast
Results 61 to 80 of 136

Thread: 1st trip to Taiwan

  1. #61
    Deregistered allenleonhart's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Posts
    3,656
    Blog Entries
    1

    Default Re: 1st trip to Taiwan

    Quote Originally Posted by petetherock View Post
    Care to share a link to which thread?
    Will be there this coming weekend for about 3 nights.
    Cheers
    http://www.clubsnap.com/forums/showthread.php?t=709102

  2. #62
    Deregistered allenleonhart's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Posts
    3,656
    Blog Entries
    1

    Default Re: 1st trip to Taiwan

    Quote Originally Posted by Adam Goi View Post
    Hi again, any hotel to recommend which is easy for an amateur traveller to move about?

    First time travelling out of Singapore alone so will be asking really dumb questions ...
    i cant remember. but 3 hotels left a lasting impression in a good way.

    1: evergreen hotel. kaoshiung i think. not a bad place, good for roaming, easily accessible.

    2: riverview hotel. located right beside xi men ding @taipei. can go shopping, got river view too. good for photographers if they want to shoot.

    3: new continental hotel. very classy, decently priced. i love the ambient. located near mrt too i think

  3. #63

    Default Re: 1st trip to Taiwan

    Quote Originally Posted by ismokeweed79 View Post
    I covered basically the entire Taiwan except for Hualien and Kenting.
    Was actually supposed to go to Hualien but the roads there have collapsed, but it was repaired the day before i was heading to Hualien.
    Our driver didn't dare to drive as it was just repaired, so we didn't go to Hualien.
    Yeah man, too scary after Meji. I went to Taiwan from 19-25. Was in Hualien on 23rd. 22nd about 22km NE of Hualien dunno which part got 6.2 quake at 8.30pm. I was at E-da theme park in Kaoshiung then, felt the shake, definitely much more than anyone would have felt here in SG from the Indonesian quakes. Luckily the next day went to Hualien via domestic flight, and one day out of Hualien via train.

  4. #64

    Default Re: 1st trip to Taiwan

    Quote Originally Posted by 2100 View Post
    Yeah man, too scary after Meji. I went to Taiwan from 19-25. Was in Hualien on 23rd. 22nd about 22km NE of Hualien dunno which part got 6.2 quake at 8.30pm. I was at E-da theme park in Kaoshiung then, felt the shake, definitely much more than anyone would have felt here in SG from the Indonesian quakes. Luckily the next day went to Hualien via domestic flight, and one day out of Hualien via train.
    I was in Taipei when that happened.
    I was watching Nat Geo, then i saw my cup of water shaking slightly, i immediately tuned to the local news and saw a newflash on the earthquake.
    I went out to the corridor and some of my neighbours came out too.

  5. #65

    Default Re: 1st trip to Taiwan

    Quote Originally Posted by ismokeweed79 View Post
    I was in Taipei when that happened.
    I was watching Nat Geo, then i saw my cup of water shaking slightly, i immediately tuned to the local news and saw a newflash on the earthquake.
    I went out to the corridor and some of my neighbours came out too.
    Your cup of water was shaking. My whole darn bathtub full of water slooshing about man.... I think my place in KS closer to there than Taipei.
    Last edited by 2100; 29th November 2010 at 03:14 PM.

  6. #66

    Default Re: 1st trip to Taiwan

    Some of my other relatives didn't even know that there was an earthquake untill i told them,

  7. #67

    Default Re: 1st trip to Taiwan

    Quote Originally Posted by ismokeweed79 View Post
    Some of my other relatives didn't even know that there was an earthquake untill i told them,
    If they are walking or doing something that's moving like bathing or in a bus/car, usually cannot feel for such a small quake lah.

  8. #68
    ClubSNAP Idol Adam Goi's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2002
    Location
    Singapore, Singapore, Singapor
    Posts
    5,682

    Default Re: 1st trip to Taiwan

    Thanks! Tried Riverview but it seemed like it's fully booked ... any more value-for-money, convenient and trustworthy hotels in Taipei?

    Quote Originally Posted by allenleonhart View Post
    i cant remember. but 3 hotels left a lasting impression in a good way.

    1: evergreen hotel. kaoshiung i think. not a bad place, good for roaming, easily accessible.

    2: riverview hotel. located right beside xi men ding @taipei. can go shopping, got river view too. good for photographers if they want to shoot.

    3: new continental hotel. very classy, decently priced. i love the ambient. located near mrt too i think

  9. #69

    Default Re: 1st trip to Taiwan

    Quote Originally Posted by Adam Goi View Post
    Hi people, feeling very cooped up in sunny Singapore so thinking of going to Taiwan hopefully in December ... any advice for a first timer? To make matters even more interesting, I've never been out of the country alone ...

    Any advice is much appreciated!
    try this link and this one.

    Quote Originally Posted by Adam Goi View Post
    Thanks! Tried Riverview but it seemed like it's fully booked ... any more value-for-money, convenient and trustworthy hotels in Taipei?
    and for hotel stay, try this link.
    specifically Taipei, try this one.
    Last edited by coolthought; 29th November 2010 at 07:35 PM.
    Coolthought - 冷静思考 - クールだ http://xaa.xanga.com/0aba0666d143253.../t35917343.gif

  10. #70
    Deregistered allenleonhart's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Posts
    3,656
    Blog Entries
    1

    Default Re: 1st trip to Taiwan

    Quote Originally Posted by Adam Goi View Post
    Thanks! Tried Riverview but it seemed like it's fully booked ... any more value-for-money, convenient and trustworthy hotels in Taipei?
    hmm... in kaoshiung ar... wait i try recall.

  11. #71
    Deregistered allenleonhart's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Posts
    3,656
    Blog Entries
    1

    Default Re: 1st trip to Taiwan

    Quote Originally Posted by coolthought View Post
    try this link and this one.



    and for hotel stay, try this link.

    specifically Taipei, try this one.
    the usual places online are the tourist attractions. museums and stuff. most tours emphasis on selling stuff in taiwan, such as deer baby bones, lingzhi, pearls. personally i'll avoid these as i feel is a waste of time. not buying would also look bad as the tourguides count on them for commission.

    perhaps if TS wants, i can pass him the guide book i have on TW. then he can slowly select. got a wide variety. i've been travelling to tw free and easy for i think 2-3 years in a row liao

  12. #72
    ClubSNAP Idol Adam Goi's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2002
    Location
    Singapore, Singapore, Singapor
    Posts
    5,682

    Default Re: 1st trip to Taiwan

    Thanks to all ... just book the air ticket and feeling extremely excited, as well as nervous

    Now checking out the hotels ... at the moment looking at the Brother Hotel, which also provides limo service @ NT$ 1500 ...

  13. #73
    ClubSNAP Idol Adam Goi's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2002
    Location
    Singapore, Singapore, Singapor
    Posts
    5,682

    Default Re: 1st trip to Taiwan

    For this round, I tend to base myself in Taipei ...

    Quote Originally Posted by allenleonhart View Post
    hmm... in kaoshiung ar... wait i try recall.

  14. #74
    Deregistered allenleonhart's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Posts
    3,656
    Blog Entries
    1

    Default Re: 1st trip to Taiwan

    Quote Originally Posted by Adam Goi View Post
    For this round, I tend to base myself in Taipei ...
    try the new continental its really good

    riverview fully booked i'm not surprised. very good location

  15. #75
    ClubSNAP Idol Adam Goi's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2002
    Location
    Singapore, Singapore, Singapor
    Posts
    5,682

    Default Re: 1st trip to Taiwan

    Did a quick check, first two days the rooms are fully occupied ...

    Quote Originally Posted by allenleonhart View Post
    try the new continental its really good

    riverview fully booked i'm not surprised. very good location

  16. #76
    Deregistered allenleonhart's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Posts
    3,656
    Blog Entries
    1

    Default Re: 1st trip to Taiwan

    Quote Originally Posted by Adam Goi View Post
    Did a quick check, first two days the rooms are fully occupied ...
    new continental ar. haha not bad.

    第一大饭店?

  17. #77

    Default Re: 1st trip to Taiwan

    Taipei Grand Hotel, a pictureque and beautiful hotel.
    "Lee Kuan Yew - Stayed at least 14 times and once was so impressed with the level of service that he requested that the hotel butler accompany him throughout his visit to Taiwan"

  18. #78
    Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Behind you
    Posts
    248

    Default Re: 1st trip to Taiwan

    Quote Originally Posted by Adam Goi View Post
    Hi again, any hotel to recommend which is easy for an amateur traveller to move about?

    First time travelling out of Singapore alone so will be asking really dumb questions ...
    Hi,

    I'm going to Taipei next Feb and i have booked Wonstar hotel Ximending cos my friend said the rooms she stayed in every time are clean and of course XMD is a good location. You might want to try too?
    I'm a cow with a camera

  19. #79

    Default Re: 1st trip to Taiwan

    Quote Originally Posted by cowmera View Post
    Hi,

    I'm going to Taipei next Feb and i have booked Wonstar hotel Ximending cos my friend said the rooms she stayed in every time are clean and of course XMD is a good location. You might want to try too?
    lots of gd comments for wonstar and yes it's gd location

  20. #80
    ClubSNAP Idol Adam Goi's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2002
    Location
    Singapore, Singapore, Singapor
    Posts
    5,682

    Default Re: 1st trip to Taiwan

    Thanks and tried; no available room ...

    From the looks of it, may have to settle for Brother Hotel but it's pretty pricey ... about S$180 per night as I need bigger bed due to my height ...


    Quote Originally Posted by cowmera View Post
    Hi,

    I'm going to Taipei next Feb and i have booked Wonstar hotel Ximending cos my friend said the rooms she stayed in every time are clean and of course XMD is a good location. You might want to try too?
    Last edited by Adam Goi; 30th November 2010 at 08:33 AM.

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •