Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Results 21 to 40 of 49

Thread: why like that one

  1. #21
    Senior Member ZerocoolAstra's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    rainy Singapore
    Posts
    9,523

    Default Re: why like that one

    Quote Originally Posted by denniskee View Post
    not sure if u guys remember recently there was a thread about a newbie felt offended when a stranger gave him advice that his external flash may not be strong enough during his shoot.

    2 weeks back, while shooting in night scene near the jetty near the esplanade outdoor theater, a group of graduates was shooting their grad. shots. the photog (one of them) had a dslr and a zoom lens (looking at it, doesnt looks like a fast lens) mounted on a tripod. from what i can see, the composition was merlion / fullerton hotel as background. he was doing long exposure (from the sound, i reckon its about 2sec exposure) and not popping flash.

    some of the group ask him to pop flash but he say it dont look nice and he told the group to hold dead still. those familiar with the lighting condition there at night will know sitting subject along the bench at the edge (not the benches) is very very dim.

    i walk over and suggested him to pop flash, his reply is something like "wait the flash hit the background not nice." so i let him be lor. after that he did try pop flash for 1 or 2 shots, but again with long exposure (judging from the sound).

    after shooting, he asked his friends to see the lcd and insisted those shot without flash are better.




    If that photog is fellow cser reading this thread, may i suggest u stop volunteering to shot for such important occasion (i understand grad gown are rented) or any other important occasion like ROM etc. understand the basic of photography before u go shoot ok?

    I feel for you
    but... certain things are beyond our jurisdiction... what to do...

    I see lots of people taking crappy photos at night around our famous landmarks, simply because they didn't use the proper equipment. But I don't feel comfortable with going up to them and 'preaching', so I just let it be lor.

    My aim is to teach more people the basics, so that they can go 'wow' their friends and spread the knowledge... hehehe
    Exploring! :)

  2. #22

    Default Re: why like that one

    Quote Originally Posted by TroyP View Post
    I also find it funny when people use flash for > 15m shots in broad daylight


    The flash power may still sufficient to improve a bit on hard shadow or create the catchlight if he/she is in portraiture.

  3. #23
    Member Knighthunter's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2002
    Location
    Pigeon Hole in Mandalay
    Posts
    958

    Default Re: why like that one

    Some people once they can get hand on DSLR, they become instant pro. Like 3-in-1 coffee trying to be like like Starbucks Coffee. IMHO, no point giving advice to this kind of people only to be snubbed especially if the advicer is holding smaller or lesser pro camera.

    - Another one to add is using lens with wide aperture shooting holiday photo with landmarks background at wide open, end result nice photo with sweeet bokeh but why taking photo with landmarks background blurred as travel log?
    W204FL

  4. #24

    Default Re: why like that one

    Quote Originally Posted by Knighthunter View Post

    - Another one to add is using lens with wide aperture shooting holiday photo with landmarks background at wide open, end result nice photo with sweeet bokeh but why taking photo with landmarks background blurred as travel log?
    so you are saying that anyone taking a photo of their friends near landmarks while on holiday should shoot at f/8.........

  5. #25
    Senior Member denniskee's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    bukit batok
    Posts
    5,468

    Default Re: why like that one

    Quote Originally Posted by sbs99 View Post
    Honestly, i am wondering the purpose of this thread. I don't see the need to bring up the example of the recent "snubbing of advice" by another photog. I believe it's to each his/her own, no right or wrong in accepting/listening to advice, or trying by trial and error to learn.

    If this thread leads to nowhere and no purpose, a mod will close it soon.
    i thought this is kopitiam? as long no amusive language, bashing, dont involve religons and politic is ok? i didnt know kopitiam thread must lead to somewhere.

    i just sharing my experience and before that thread, i dont hasitate to offer suggestions to those having problem shooting but because of that thread, now i wonder if i should.
    photography makes one sees things from all angles.

  6. #26
    Senior Member Leong23's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    within myself
    Posts
    3,186

    Default Re: why like that one

    To me, I just let it be, I wouldn't go and correct others.

    Different people shoot for different purpose, so why be bothered.

    Example, I seen tones of people using funny method to shoot macro when I'm strolling in sbg or hort park, which I know the result is not up to my standard. I don't think it is nice to correct or advice them, just let them enjoy the process, it is just a hobby.....

    If the group of grad really want top quality result, they should engage a pro photographer to do it.
    Last edited by Leong23; 20th July 2010 at 11:12 AM.

  7. #27
    Member Knighthunter's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2002
    Location
    Pigeon Hole in Mandalay
    Posts
    958

    Default Re: why like that one

    Quote Originally Posted by night86mare View Post
    so you are saying that anyone taking a photo of their friends near landmarks while on holiday should shoot at f/8.........
    The photog is using top of the line DSLR and nice primes.....I was carrying my Sea&Sea PNS (Ricoh GX100) if I gave a lecture or my 20 cents worth I mostly likely end end up in crucifixion. It really depend on what is the purpose of the picture if for model shoot then is perfectly ok but for travel record is not suitable. BTW, I also just realize that I also ever had to be sit still during dinner because someone taking picture with 2 second exposure on tripod. I was moved my head before exposure end and get scolded for retake the photo. I told him to use the flash and the answer is flash will make shadow and picture will turn ugly
    Learning is continuous process and camera is just a tool. I was equipment mastrubator as well sometime in the past but I moved on.
    Last edited by Knighthunter; 20th July 2010 at 11:17 AM.
    W204FL

  8. #28
    Senior Member Leong23's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    within myself
    Posts
    3,186

    Default Re: why like that one

    Quote Originally Posted by ZerocoolAstra View Post
    I feel for you
    but... certain things are beyond our jurisdiction... what to do...

    I see lots of people taking crappy photos at night around our famous landmarks, simply because they didn't use the proper equipment. But I don't feel comfortable with going up to them and 'preaching', so I just let it be lor.

    My aim is to teach more people the basics, so that they can go 'wow' their friends and spread the knowledge... hehehe
    Their photo might be crappy to you, but yours might be crappy to many others.

    Just that most of them just let it be and don't bother to comments.

    Good to be humble.

  9. #29
    Senior Member denniskee's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    bukit batok
    Posts
    5,468

    Default Re: why like that one

    Quote Originally Posted by Knighthunter View Post
    I was equipment mastrubator as well sometime in the past but I moved on.
    can teach us how to mastrubate eqpt?
    photography makes one sees things from all angles.

  10. #30

    Default Re: why like that one

    i understand your pain dennis...flash is a sensitive thing u know..

  11. #31
    Senior Member ZerocoolAstra's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    rainy Singapore
    Posts
    9,523

    Default Re: why like that one

    Quote Originally Posted by Leong23 View Post
    Their photo might be crappy to you, but yours might be crappy to many others.

    Just that most of them just let it be and don't bother to comments.

    Good to be humble.
    hahaha true true...
    Exploring! :)

  12. #32
    Member Knighthunter's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2002
    Location
    Pigeon Hole in Mandalay
    Posts
    958

    Default Re: why like that one

    Quote Originally Posted by denniskee View Post
    can teach us how to mastrubate eqpt?
    Forgotten already, it is a closed chapter now..
    W204FL

  13. #33
    Senior Member Leong23's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    within myself
    Posts
    3,186

    Default Re: why like that one

    Quote Originally Posted by ZerocoolAstra View Post
    hahaha true true...

  14. #34
    Senior Member denniskee's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    bukit batok
    Posts
    5,468

    Default Re: why like that one

    yup, different stroke for different people.

    when i was newbie, i really appreciate those who gave me suggestions / advice to correct my error while shooting. may be it was because i was shooting film back than ($$$$, buy film, process negative / positive, print).

    with digital cameras (less $$$, memory card holds millions of photo cause can format, seldom print) and ease of pp. newbies are less focus on technic? or it may be less sharp, color off etc is the in thing as many like the lomo effect?
    Last edited by denniskee; 20th July 2010 at 11:43 AM.
    photography makes one sees things from all angles.

  15. #35

    Default Re: why like that one

    Quote Originally Posted by denniskee View Post
    not sure if u guys remember recently there was a thread about a newbie felt offended when a stranger gave him advice that his external flash may not be strong enough during his shoot.

    2 weeks back, while shooting in night scene near the jetty near the esplanade outdoor theater, a group of graduates was shooting their grad. shots. the photog (one of them) had a dslr and a zoom lens (looking at it, doesnt looks like a fast lens) mounted on a tripod. from what i can see, the composition was merlion / fullerton hotel as background. he was doing long exposure (from the sound, i reckon its about 2sec exposure) and not popping flash.

    some of the group ask him to pop flash but he say it dont look nice and he told the group to hold dead still. those familiar with the lighting condition there at night will know sitting subject along the bench at the edge (not the benches) is very very dim.

    i walk over and suggested him to pop flash, his reply is something like "wait the flash hit the background not nice." so i let him be lor. after that he did try pop flash for 1 or 2 shots, but again with long exposure (judging from the sound).

    after shooting, he asked his friends to see the lcd and insisted those shot without flash are better.




    If that photog is fellow cser reading this thread, may i suggest u stop volunteering to shot for such important occasion (i understand grad gown are rented) or any other important occasion like ROM etc. understand the basic of photography before u go shoot ok?

    To that photographer:

    1) If you friends like the shot w/o flash then carry on.
    2) If you friends dun like the shot w/o flash then shot with flash.
    3) If the case is number 2 and you still insisted on shooting w/o flash I have nothing to say.

    Those grad must be tired after keeping still for all the shot

  16. #36
    Senior Member ZerocoolAstra's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    rainy Singapore
    Posts
    9,523

    Default Re: why like that one

    Quote Originally Posted by denniskee View Post
    yup, different stroke for different people.

    when i was newbie, i really appreciate those who gave me suggestions / advice to correct my error while shooting. may be it was because i was shooting film back than ($$$$, buy film, process negative / positive, print).

    with digital cameras (less $$$, memory card holds millions of photo cause can format, seldom print) and ease of pp. newbies are less focus on technic? or it may be less sharp, color off etc is the in thing as many like the lomo effect?
    I think that due to proliferation of digital cameras, especially inclusion of cameras in phones, that so many more people are taking photos nowadays.
    I agree with you that since prices are low, there has emerged a group of people who are happy with taking casual snaps.
    Well, as Leong23 mentioned, they're probably happy with the images they get, so... best to just leave them to it.
    Exploring! :)

  17. #37
    Senior Member Leong23's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    within myself
    Posts
    3,186

    Default Re: why like that one

    Many people don't feel comfortable when advice by strangers. Many of us including me learn thru clubs, courses or organise outings, where both new comers and seniors are more comfortable when giving or listening to advice.

  18. #38
    Senior Member denniskee's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    bukit batok
    Posts
    5,468

    Default Re: why like that one

    Quote Originally Posted by ZerocoolAstra View Post
    I think that due to proliferation of digital cameras, especially inclusion of cameras in phones, that so many more people are taking photos nowadays.
    I agree with you that since prices are low, there has emerged a group of people who are happy with taking casual snaps.
    Well, as Leong23 mentioned, they're probably happy with the images they get, so... best to just leave them to it.
    now that u mentioned h/p, it makes me wonder if that contribute to poor technic when newbies handle their cameras. h/p cameras are more often than not, used in very "casual" manner by youngsters as we so often sees. composition, exposure, sharpness etc are not the concern, but capturing the "moment" when they feel like taking a photo is.

    like many mentioned, let them be lar. just a old man with too much time on hand sharing his observations of the society here. hahaha.
    Last edited by denniskee; 20th July 2010 at 12:05 PM.
    photography makes one sees things from all angles.

  19. #39
    Senior Member ZerocoolAstra's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    rainy Singapore
    Posts
    9,523

    Default Re: why like that one

    Quote Originally Posted by denniskee View Post
    now that u mentioned h/p, it makes me wonder if that contribute to poor technic when newbies handle their cameras. h/p cameras are more often than not, used in very "casual" manner by youngsters as we so often sees. composition, exposure, sharpness etc are not the concern, but capturing the "moment" when they feel like taking a photo is.

    like many mentioned, let them be lar. just a old man with too much time on hand sharing his observations of the society here. hahaha.
    hehehe.. if you advise them and they smile and say "thank you", probably you'll feel a sense of satisfaction

    but if they snarl at you and say "kaypoh", then you feel hurt.

    so best to not take a risk of situation #2 happening...



    i think handphones started the whole "LiveView" phenomenon, with people holding the cameras outstretched. I think that's the "poor technique" you are referring to?
    Last edited by ZerocoolAstra; 20th July 2010 at 12:36 PM.
    Exploring! :)

  20. #40
    Senior Member denniskee's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    bukit batok
    Posts
    5,468

    Default Re: why like that one

    Quote Originally Posted by ZerocoolAstra View Post
    hehehe.. if you advise them and they smile and say "thank you", probably you'll feel a sense of satisfaction

    but if they snarl at you and say "kaypoh", then you feel hurt.

    so best to not take a risk of situation #2 happening...



    i think handphones started the whole "LiveView" phenomenon, with people holding the cameras outstretched. I think that's the "poor technique" you are referring to?
    "kaypoh" still not so hurt, wait sikali they say "old fart"
    photography makes one sees things from all angles.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •