Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 22

Thread: Analog hydrometer showing different reading with digital type..

  1. #1

    Default Analog hydrometer showing different reading with digital type..

    Hi bros,

    Just want to seek advice frm bros here if anyone encounter such situation.

    I bought a analog type dry cabinet from one of the bro here, then i went to buy another digital hydrometer and place side by side to the analog hydrometer, then i went to turn the knob.. on the digital its show 47%RH but on the analog it's show 57%.. it different by 10!!.. both about the same temperature.

    so is this situation common? or is the dry cabinet spoilt?

  2. #2

    Default Re: Analog hydrometer showing different reading with digital type..

    So which one do you believe? Hint: accuracy doesn't depend on whether an instrument is digital or analog.

  3. #3

    Default Re: Analog hydrometer showing different reading with digital type..

    Quote Originally Posted by Xtol19 View Post
    So which one do you believe? Hint: accuracy doesn't depend on whether an instrument is digital or analog.
    well i would like to believe the analog type.. but considering the dry cabinet is abit old already thus make me think twice..

    yes i agree tat accuracy doesn't depend much but it were abt 5% different i still find it acceptable.. but 10% different, it abit too much right?..

  4. #4
    Moderator ziploc's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2002
    Location
    Snoopyland
    Posts
    4,577

    Default Re: Analog hydrometer showing different reading with digital type..

    Hi Astroboy77,

    You can either compare the digital hygrometer with your friend's or bring it back to the shop and compare with another one (preferrably different brand). Otherwise you can perform a salt test to check the accuracy of the digital hygrometer. Last time when I bought my 2 pieces of Akarui dry cabinets, the analog hygrometers in both cabinets were inaccurate and I needed to calibrate manually.

  5. #5

    Default Re: Analog hydrometer showing different reading with digital type..

    Do a 'salt test' to see which one is more accurate. Or you can get a Humidipak 75% RH test kit to test it out.


  6. #6
    Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Sembawang
    Posts
    1,479

    Default Re: Analog hydrometer showing different reading with digital type..

    Quote Originally Posted by Barrios View Post
    Do a 'salt test' to see which one is more accurate. Or you can get a Humidipak 75% RH test kit to test it out.

    May I know where you bought this? Thks~

  7. #7

    Default Re: Analog hydrometer showing different reading with digital type..

    Quote Originally Posted by scramblur11 View Post
    May I know where you bought this? Thks~
    I bought it from Ebay for US$4.49 (excluding shipping) a pack. Basically, it comes with a sachet of chemical compound and a ziploc-styled nylon bag. No water is used. Once the kit is opened, it is accurate up to a period of 3 months.

    DIY 'salt test' which uses salt and water may (don't flame me) damage the hygrometer especially when it is sealed in a bag/container with 'salty air' inside for 24-48 hrs.
    Last edited by Barrios; 20th July 2010 at 10:22 AM.

  8. #8
    Moderator ed9119's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2002
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    10,929
    Blog Entries
    26

    Default Re: Analog hydrometer showing different reading with digital type..

    i get these 68/70/72/75% RH humidity packs (Bovedas) at $2 or sometimes free from cigar forums ..............
    shaddap and just shoot .... up close
    Walkeast

  9. #9

    Default Re: Analog hydrometer showing different reading with digital type..

    Quote Originally Posted by ed9119 View Post
    i get these 68/70/72/75% RH humidity packs (Bovedas) at $2 or sometimes free from cigar forums ..............
    Are you referring to the cigar humidity packs - pack used to regulate humidity - or the Boveda Humidipak Calibration Kit? They are 2 different things.

  10. #10

    Default Re: Analog hydrometer showing different reading with digital type..

    wow the humidipak kit look good... wondering any local shop or any bros here got ex-stock... easier for me to get it... kekeke

  11. #11

    Default Re: Analog hydrometer showing different reading with digital type..

    Quote Originally Posted by ziploc View Post
    Hi Astroboy77,

    You can either compare the digital hygrometer with your friend's or bring it back to the shop and compare with another one (preferrably different brand). Otherwise you can perform a salt test to check the accuracy of the digital hygrometer. Last time when I bought my 2 pieces of Akarui dry cabinets, the analog hygrometers in both cabinets were inaccurate and I needed to calibrate manually.
    ok.. guess will find my fren to double check with his dry cabinet.. i hope the digital hygrometer is working fine .. as it cost me 35 buck!! .. didnt know it cost tat much to get one...

  12. #12
    Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Sembawang
    Posts
    1,479

    Default Re: Analog hydrometer showing different reading with digital type..

    Quote Originally Posted by Barrios View Post
    I bought it from Ebay for US$4.49 (excluding shipping) a pack. Basically, it comes with a sachet of chemical compound and a ziploc-styled nylon bag. No water is used. Once the kit is opened, it is accurate up to a period of 3 months.

    DIY 'salt test' which uses salt and water may (don't flame me) damage the hygrometer especially when it is sealed in a bag/container with 'salty air' inside for 24-48 hrs.
    Thks~..ohh...so not sold in Spore?...

  13. #13

    Default Re: Analog hydrometer showing different reading with digital type..

    Quote Originally Posted by scramblur11 View Post
    Thks~..ohh...so not sold in Spore?...
    Eh....I really don't know. Just order from Ebay, save the trouble to look around the whole island.

  14. #14
    Moderator ed9119's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2002
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    10,929
    Blog Entries
    26

    Default Re: Analog hydrometer showing different reading with digital type..

    Quote Originally Posted by Barrios View Post
    Are you referring to the cigar humidity packs - pack used to regulate humidity - or the Boveda Humidipak Calibration Kit? They are 2 different things.

    Referring to just the humidity packs not the calibration kit
    shaddap and just shoot .... up close
    Walkeast

  15. #15

    Default Re: Analog hydrometer showing different reading with digital type..

    Alright... after testing out in my fren digital dry cabinet... it confirm that the hygrometer is faulty!!!... dam .. wasted my money... any bro here got better recommendation to buy a goof and reliable one??

  16. #16
    Moderator ziploc's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2002
    Location
    Snoopyland
    Posts
    4,577

    Default Re: Analog hydrometer showing different reading with digital type..

    Why not just bring it back to the shop to exchange for a good one?

  17. #17

    Default Re: Analog hydrometer showing different reading with digital type..

    Quote Originally Posted by ziploc View Post
    Why not just bring it back to the shop to exchange for a good one?
    i already lost the receipt!... and the best is i saw the same model at sim lim tower selling $15 buck cheaper.....

  18. #18

    Default Re: Analog hydrometer showing different reading with digital type..

    how much u paid in total now for the 2nd hand cabi and hygro?

  19. #19

    Default Re: Analog hydrometer showing different reading with digital type..

    Quote Originally Posted by azurebluee View Post
    how much u paid in total now for the 2nd hand cabi and hygro?
    2nd hand cabi = $60
    hygrometer = $35 bought in homefix (sim lim tower selling only $24!)

  20. #20

    Default Re: Analog hydrometer showing different reading with digital type..

    I have brought a digital hydrometer from ebay (see URL), it cost S$9.41 with free postage. I have two digi cabi, AD and HD, the HD is on analog metering, find it inaccurate, always at 50% even turned it to lowest. Therefore have purchased the digital meter from ebay. Tested the meter with AD model and found different about 3-5 percent. Now have installed (double side taped it). Hope the above help.

    http://shop.ebay.com.sg/i.html?LH_Av...4.l1513&_pgn=4

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •