Thread: Need help on different type flash diffusal

Default Need help on different type flash diffusal

I seen Gary fong whail tail, lambency diffusal, mini beauty dish, Mini soft box etc...

I'm looking for one that is suitable for human portraits shot of 2-3 people, not whole group. Which is suitable ? Is it worth spending on Gary fong equipment what's the diff compare with the other 3rd party brand?

I have search through the forums and too many diff thing I really can't decide

Thanks.
    D90-MB80|N18-105|N50 1.8|T180 M.|GT1541T|Q3T|Up48|SB900|
    BBB Virus will Devour your Soul.

Default Re: Need help on different type flash diffusal

Frankly speaking, a simple bounce card can sufficiently do a good job given the condition. So which product is good, again is debatable. That's probably why you couldn't find a good answer from the forum.
    |SonyA700|T180mmf3.5|M70-210mmf4|S30mmf1.4|T17-50mmf2.8|T90mmf2.8|M5600hsdX2|

The most important thing is the place you are shooting. How high/far are walls/ceiling, what color, etc. There IS NO FORMULA. Practice makes perfect. Otherwise get one that you know how to use and work from there.
    Alpha

Quote Originally Posted by VainKid View Post
    I seen Gary fong whail tail, lambency diffusal, mini beauty dish, Mini soft box etc...

I'm looking for one that is suitable for human portraits shot of 2-3 people, not whole group. Which is suitable ? Is it worth spending on Gary fong equipment what's the diff compare with the other 3rd party brand?

Thanks.
    Only how deep your pocket is and how you like to work around it and also how good it looks for you.

Anything can be used from as simple as a piece of white cardboard as a reflector/bounce card or a simple take-away bowl as a diffuser.
    Michael Lim
    My Flickr Site

Ok guys I got it. I have shallow pocket I have to admit

i have shallow pocket too... so i use the diffuser given. (I rather invest on lens first)
    To my eyes, it makes no different.
    A DIY bounce card will be good too. (cos the bounce card is too small)

More 'things' added on the flash made the whole equipoment very bulky.
    I prefer simple so that i can move about.

Cheers.

Well, the idea is to try out different low end products and see which is good for your usage in different senarios.

There is no one size fit all, IMHO. Thus I may have up to 2 or 3 dfferent types of flash modifiers in my camera bag. Personally, I'd suggest that you look at :

a bounce card (where the ceiling is high or you can't bounce off the ceiling much)
    diffuser (for bouncing off the ceiling)
    and also a gobo or snoot (to deflect or prevent the flash from reaching certain areas)
    Michael Lim
    My Flickr Site

Ok guys I got it. I have shallow pocket I have to admit
    based on the equipment list in your signature, I'm surprised by your "shallow pocket" remark
    hehehe...
    but anyway, back to topic.
    If subject is quite a distance away, then bounce flash might be insufficient and you'd have to point the flash directly at subject, albeit with some kind of diffuser.
    So a number of factors come into play, as many have already mentioned.
    I summarize for you into:

1) intensity/brightness of ambient lighting
    2) subject -- camera distance
    3) ceiling height
    .... oops I'm out of points.
    Exploring! :)

Thanks.
    Depends on what u want? Directional lighting, 3 effect etc.. There's no hard fast rules..

U can even diy if u know how to diffuse ur lighting (with the use of materials like vortex, aluminum foil, Styrofoam etc..)

Bottom line being, know what u intend to use it for and read up from there.. i.e. Inverse square of law..

Practice makes perfect..
    I turned PRO in diaper chg!
    My Flickr|My Son

Depends on what you want.

The most simple setup is bouncing off a wall/ceiling to give the directional lighting that you want.
    Otherwise, either a shoot thru or reflective umbrella would do.

Do a web search and you should get plenty of lighting setups. Just keep it simple and go for the easy ones 1st.

Quote Originally Posted by ZerocoolAstra View Post
    based on the equipment list in your signature, I'm surprised by your "shallow pocket" remark
    hehehe...
    but anyway, back to topic.
    If subject is quite a distance away, then bounce flash might be insufficient and you'd have to point the flash directly at subject, albeit with some kind of diffuser.
    So a number of factors come into play, as many have already mentioned.
    I summarize for you into:

1) intensity/brightness of ambient lighting
    2) subject -- camera distance
    3) ceiling height
    .... oops I'm out of points.
    bro my pocket are shallow for equipment like diffuser filter etc... the vital equipment for photography lens and tripod of course bo bian one... i wouldnt want spend $100+ on a diffuser as i'm just a hobbyist.

Thanks for the advice

Quote Originally Posted by zac08 View Post
    Well, the idea is to try out different low end products and see which is good for your usage in different senarios.

There is no one size fit all, IMHO. Thus I may have up to 2 or 3 dfferent types of flash modifiers in my camera bag. Personally, I'd suggest that you look at :

a bounce card (where the ceiling is high or you can't bounce off the ceiling much)
    diffuser (for bouncing off the ceiling)
    and also a gobo or snoot (to deflect or prevent the flash from reaching certain areas)
    Thanks will look around

Quote Originally Posted by Numnumball View Post
    Depends on what u want? Directional lighting, 3 effect etc.. There's no hard fast rules..

U can even diy if u know how to diffuse ur lighting (with the use of materials like vortex, aluminum foil, Styrofoam etc..)

Bottom line being, know what u intend to use it for and read up from there.. i.e. Inverse square of law..

Practice makes perfect..

Quote Originally Posted by pinholecam View Post
    Depends on what you want.

The most simple setup is bouncing off a wall/ceiling to give the directional lighting that you want.
    Otherwise, either a shoot thru or reflective umbrella would do.

Do a web search and you should get plenty of lighting setups. Just keep it simple and go for the easy ones 1st.

thanks guys... i found out that lambency is a clone of garyfong lightsphere. anyone use it in here? hows the quality over GF orginal stuff?

Quote Originally Posted by Rashkae View Post
    The most important thing is the place you are shooting. How high/far are walls/ceiling, what color, etc. There IS NO FORMULA. Practice makes perfect. Otherwise get one that you know how to use and work from there.
    Go to www.passionphotographers.com and take a look at the Softlite Diffuser.

woohoo thats all in one, anyone use it before ? how much is it ?