Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Challenger's $30 Dry Box?

Default Re: Challenger's $30 Dry Box?

top up $78 get a dry cabinet for long term investment.

manual top up sillica gels + heat up sillica gels @ regular intervals VS plug to electric socket , adjust setting and forget.

See which is better for u.

Quote Originally Posted by Octarine View Post
    The consumption of a 30l cabinet is given as 5W, 350l is stated as 10W consumption. A month has about 720h in average, do your Math whether you will notice something at the end of the year.
    Even my 80l cabinet is only rated at 5watts. A computer is already drawing 500watts. Any difference??
    Michael Lim
    My Flickr Site

im using a dry box + a mini dehumidifier [bought at home fix @ 2 for 32++] at the moment ...

the mini dehumidifier works like silica gel .. so when e indicator turn pink .. plug onto e main socket then charge it [i believe it heat it up to turn blue] .. then use again ...

but will b getting a dry cabinet sometime later .. when my dry box need 'en bloc' ..
    I'm just a photographer looking for my world~

drybox is good enough temporarily until you can upgrade to a dry-cab. mine is already getting full, seriously thinking of buying a 30L during the SAM event next weekend maybe i'll see TS there contemplating the same once he sees the dry-cab offerings?

Quote Originally Posted by pasay View Post
    drybox is good enough temporarily until you can upgrade to a dry-cab. mine is already getting full, seriously thinking of buying a 30L during the SAM event next weekend maybe i'll see TS there contemplating the same once he sees the dry-cab offerings?
    Get the biggest you can afford. Even a 80l can get filled up pretty quick
    Michael Lim
    My Flickr Site

Just read about this SAM event, might be there too! thanks guys for all the help!
    Sony a7R | Vario-Tessar T* FE 24-70mm f/4
    http://www.shadefotoworks.com - Automotive Photography

Quote Originally Posted by zac08 View Post
    Even my 80l cabinet is only rated at 5watts. A computer is already drawing 500watts. Any difference??
    What exactly do you ask here? The difference between 5W and 500W is obvious, although I doubt that a standard PC is really drawing 500W. The power supply might be rated for 500W maximum load, but the real consumption is usually far below.
    EOS

I find the biggest drawback of dry box is the inability to set the desired humidity level when silical gel is used.

Dry cabinet is the more ideal long term solution and suggest you buy the biggest you can afford/accomodate. With electricity rating of 5W, it will cost you less than $1 a month.

Hope it helps.

Quote Originally Posted by Jamesf View Post
    I find the biggest drawback of dry box is the inability to set the desired humidity level when silical gel is used.

Dry cabinet is the more ideal long term solution and suggest you buy the biggest you can afford/accomodate. With electricity rating of 5W, it will cost you less than $1 a month.

Hope it helps.
    I second this
    But dry cabi's prices are much much higher than a drybox. Esp if you intend to keep a couple of lenses, you'll need 60L at least.
    The best things in life are free.

Just go ahead and get a 80L if you can spare the cash. I cramped my 30L for years until I decided to upgrade recently. Now, my watches, 3 compacts, 5 lenses, 2 bodies, 2 flashes are all sitting prettily in my new DC. Makes sense if you have the space and the all the equipment lying around. I think I paid about $250 for it. Great investment.

Quote Originally Posted by Octarine View Post
    What exactly do you ask here? The difference between 5W and 500W is obvious, although I doubt that a standard PC is really drawing 500W. The power supply might be rated for 500W maximum load, but the real consumption is usually far below.
    trying to bring across the point that a dry cabinet does not make any difference to the total power bill as compared to a PC.
    Michael Lim
    My Flickr Site

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12