Thread: How to take Lightning Pics??

Cool How to take Lightning Pics??

Hey ppl, any idea how to take pic of lightning?
    i tried to take during stormy whether and always too slow
    to capture one.

I suppose you need to use Bulb (B) mode?

Set yr camera on tripod, set to B and wait. I have not done it but this was the advice given in some articles I read some time ago. It makes sense. A bit like taking fireworks.

But you need a bit of luck though. I have seen pix, because of the B setting, having many lightning strikes captured on one exposure. Breathtaking.

Good Luck

cheers

B is a good idea but judging from the frequency the lightning strike at our place, I would recomend 4-10 sec shutter for Digital camera. Long exposure like B causing too much noise. Luck is very important!

Both pictures taken with D100, in camera noise reduction. You really need lots of luck. Use your six sense, try to keep shutter opened as frequent as possible.

Hey I did not know that we have a lightning photographer here!

http://www.lightningtrigger.com/

It works by using a supersensitive sensor that triggers your camera on the first lightning bolt.

Quote Originally Posted by whlim
    B is a good idea but judging from the frequency the lightning strike at our place, I would recomend 4-10 sec shutter for Digital camera. Long exposure like B causing too much noise. Luck is very important!
    Thats if you are using Digital and not Film....

With your camera use the Bulb setting, eye piece cover and a piece of black cardboard.

Open and lock the shutter then use the piece of cardboard to hold against the lens between lightning strikes to record more than 1 on the frame.

Quote Originally Posted by james m
    Thats if you are using Digital and not Film....

With your camera use the Bulb setting, eye piece cover and a piece of black cardboard.

Open and lock the shutter then use the piece of cardboard to hold against the lens between lightning strikes to record more than 1 on the frame.
    My bad. I always have the assumption that we are talkin' about shootin' digital in this forum. It's been a long time since I shot film

Quote Originally Posted by Astin
    Hey I did not know that we have a lightning photographer here!
    Thanks!

erhm there are some kind of remote trigger releases tt will activate the shutter once the flash comes....some light sensor....read in a book somewhere ..

Default Thanks guys!

hey ppl, thanks for all yr advice...
    i will go n try it out and see how it turns out...