Thread: Funny!!

Default Funny!!

http://www.sky.com/skynews/article/0...047091,00.html

CLUELESS ABOUT HISTORY

Britain is a nation of history dunces with many even believing Adolf Hitler never existed, according to a new survey.

A quarter of those interviewed were not sure if the Battle of Trafalgar was a real historic event, while one in seven did not know the Battle of Hastings really took place.

Researchers found that many of the 2,069 adults questioned could not tell fact from fiction.

More than one in 20 thought the sci-fi classic War of the Worlds, in which Earth is invaded by Martians, was a historical event.

Some even believed the Battle of Helm's Deep from the Lord of the Rings trilogy and the Battle of Endor from Return of the Jedi actually took place.

Almost half of those asked thought William Wallace never existed and more than half believed King Arthur was real.

A quarter thought Robin Hood was a genuine historical figure, while one in 20 thought Conan the Barbarian was real.

Some of the respondents confused popular television series with fact, with some believing Edmond Blackadder and Zena Warrior Princess had existed.

The survey of adults aged 16 and over was commissioned to coincide with the 300th anniversary of the Battle of Blenheim on August 13.

Yet the results showed that, despite being one of the greatest victories in British military history, nearly three quarters of the population had never heard of the battle.

John Hoy, chief executive of Blenheim Palace, said: "We set out to establish where the Battle of Blenheim stood in the nation's consciousness and were amazed to find out that so few people had even heard of the battle.

"We're determined to do all we can to change this.

this does sound quite sad... however..is this a general trend of young people all over the world?

if a general quiz about everything (politics, history, geography) is conducted on our youths today without the use of ten year series, how do you think they will fare?

So is Wong Fei Hung real?

ooo... hey! are you the easter bunny?

say some more rubbish and I ask the policeman to come!

Haha, Wang Fei Hung is real! Which comes to the next question... is Su Qi Er real?

Sometimes we really do not know everything.
    Last edited by laugh; 4th May 2004 at 11:59 AM.

yups...this is what my mom said to me when i was young...

sorry if you took offense...no harm intended

haha, no offense taken.. no worries.
    I didnt know King Arthur is fictitious...is he??
    Last edited by laugh; 4th May 2004 at 12:16 PM.

Singapore youths (generally) just as clueless or even more so...

Quote Originally Posted by laugh
    Haha, Wang Fei Hung is real! Which comes to the next question... is Su Qi Er real?

Sometimes we really do not know everything.
    Yes, Wang Fei Hung is real, but according to a article, which I read sometime ago, Hung was a person totally different from what the movies and TV series had illustrated him to be. In fact, he was a hot-tempered man and love to challenge ppls to a duel. (Info. extracted from Lianhe Zaobao).
    Last edited by scanner; 4th May 2004 at 01:15 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by laugh
    haha, no offense taken.. no worries.
    I didnt know King Arthur is fictitious...is he??

I didn't know too..... but Battle of Helm's Deep REAL??????? Sorry but that's too much.....

Wond Fei hung and So Hut Yee are real, but their lives has been played up real big by story tellers.

General Kuan Yu is worshipped as a god!

Quote Originally Posted by scanner
    Yes, Wang Fei Hung is real, but according to a article, which I read sometime ago, Hung was a person totally different from what the movies and TV series had illustrated him to be. In fact, he was a hot-tempered man and love to challenge ppls to a duel. (Info. extracted from Lianhe Zaobao).
    sorry, but when you said HUNG, only william comes to mind

Quote Originally Posted by yowch
    Wond Fei hung and So Hut Yee are real, but their lives has been played up real big by story tellers.

General Kuan Yu is worshipped as a god!
    Maybe 50 years later, pple will worship Wong Fei Hung as a God too..

Quote Originally Posted by LiOnElLiN
    OIC, I tot U mean the Hong, get the msg... blur me.

Quote Originally Posted by LiOnElLiN

...she bangs......she bangs...