Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Guide me for my 1st DSLR

Default Re: Guide me for my 1st DSLR

Quote Originally Posted by afiyy View Post
    i did some research that if u use your camera for almost everyday you don't need a dry box/container .

whereas if u are away for overseas to a cold countries , then its a must .

do guide me if im wrong .
    its kind of risky in singapore humid environment. if in a dry country, than i can agree that using the all ur lens regularly through a week, than dry box need not be a must.
    photography makes one sees things from all angles.

Quote Originally Posted by denniskee View Post
    3) go take photos, than compare those you shot against similar composition printed in magazines or those shot by fellow csers for local scenery. always analyze what is it that makes you like those images.
    Something very important to do IMO.

Also something we can never do enough of, ever.

Get this book 'Nikon D5000: From Snapshots to Great Shot' by Jeff Revell.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Nikon-D5000-.../dp/0321659430

u can check it out at computer bookshop at funan.

well, it will be better to have a dry cabinet right?? maybe for future usage when your old lens have outgrown u and u will more likely to get new lens or something.

okay guys .

i don't have those dry cabinet/box for at the moment right now .
    can i just use those dry container with the silica gel for the meantime while getting the dry cabinet in the later stage ?

because currently I put my camera inside my camera bag despite that every now and then I took out taking randomly pictures and messing around with the settings .

okay guys .

can i just use those dry container with the silica gel for the meantime while getting the dry cabinet in the later stage ?

because currently I put my camera inside my camera bag despite that every now and then I took out taking randomly pictures and messing around with the settings .
    Erm... For me, it's ok. I dunno abt the seniors
    Nikon D90 | AF-S 18-105mm | AF 50mm f/1.8D | Tokina 12-24mm f4 | Sigma 30mm f1.4

Yes, it's ok for a start. Better than nothing. And better than leaving your camera in the camera bag. (That's a good breeding ground for fungus, because air is stagnant, the padding keeps humidity up and it's dark.) The bag is only for transportation, not for storage.
    EOS

Welcome, fellow Nikonian !

Yes, it's ok for a start. Better than nothing. And better than leaving your camera in the camera bag. (That's a good breeding ground for fungus, because air is stagnant, the padding keeps humidity up and it's dark.) The bag is only for transportation, not for storage.
    Since you said that leaving in the camera bag is not a good thing to do so next time I must leave it open while I'm home and not leave it inside the bag ?

Since you said that leaving in the camera bag is not a good thing to do so next time I must leave it open while I'm home and not leave it inside the bag ?
    Take out the camera, put on open shelf. Enough.
    EOS

Hi

To me, it is an insurance to yourself by putting it in an dry cabinet. Not only it prevents fungus for sure, it helps retain its sales value in the future. Personally, when buying an equipment in the second hand market, I would look for buyers selling equipment which is stored in a dry cabinet as i can be sure its free of fungus. Unless of course you wish to lie to whoever is buying from you about your storage method (not advisable to). If a cabinet is too expensive for you do consider a dry box which cost 20 odd dollars and it works well too. Only two downsides: 1) Enough for one camera and two lens, nothing more 2) Have to change silicon gel in box regularly

Yup and just like what the other clubsnappers mentioned, the manual is a great tool telling you how to master your camera and what each function is for. But to really understand the relationship between each setting and how they will affect your photos, alot of reading up followed by practice will be required. Plus point, D5000 has a in built guide mode which gives you pictorial examples of which setting is for which scenario and helps make learning easier. (Note: The pictorial examples are just a guide and do not use it as a bible) Experience with a D5000 my friend uses is that by following the guide mode, photos come out with a lack of creativity and gives it a sort of dull mood as it is programmed for the "standard" shot, somewhat like shots taken with camera auto mode.

Lastly, do consider a tripod as it is very important if you are shooting landscapes or at night. Sorry for my long essay guys!! Hahaha.

from what you guys said is totally true .
    spent a few $$ to get a proper care by using the dry cabinet to avoid fungus else u will be spending more $$$ again.

but for now my budget is totally tight .

maybe i go for the dry box with the silica gel for the time being maybe in the later stage i will invest myself on the dry cabinet itself .

for dry box ?

how regularly we need to change the silica gel ? and we must open it and not cover the box up?

from what you guys said is totally true .
    spent a few $$ to get a proper care by using the dry cabinet to avoid fungus else u will be spending more $$$ again.

but for now my budget is totally tight .

maybe i go for the dry box with the silica gel for the time being maybe in the later stage i will invest myself on the dry cabinet itself .

for dry box ?

how regularly we need to change the silica gel ? and we must open it and not cover the box up?
    Actually I took the risk to leave the camera out in the open environment, until I found a right dry cabinet. It was a 5months risk. Nothing happened...

I recommend you get a dry cabi straight. They are quite cheap, less than $150 and you get good ones.
    The best things in life are free.

I hand carry the famous AIPO brand 41L dry cabinet (Analog one though) from msia back home. 120SGD if I am not wrong. If you drive can go there and get one.
    Last edited by wootsk; 23rd July 2010 at 11:35 PM.

i have this cleaning kit by nikon. how do i use it ? i don't know how to use it ?
    when should i do the cleaning ? once a week? once a mth and such. do guide me

i have this cleaning kit by nikon. how do i use it ? i don't know how to use it ?
    when should i do the cleaning ? once a week? once a mth and such. do guide me
    Not all cleaning kits are the same. Without telling us what it is inside the kit, how do we know?

In anycase, you should already know what a cloth can do, what a brush can do....

As for frequency, how often do you sweep the floor of your house? Once every month? Once every week?
    The best things in life are free.

Quote Originally Posted by gymak90 View Post
    Not all cleaning kits are the same. Without telling us what it is inside the kit, how do we know?

In anycase, you should already know what a cloth can do, what a brush can do....

As for frequency, how often do you sweep the floor of your house? Once every month? Once every week?
    i have the picture of it

thats the cleaning kit im referring too.

enlighten me more what is it use for and such ?

hey! congrats on your new dslr! im looking for a dslr as well, may i know how much was yours and where did you purchase it? any freebies that comes along? TIA!

Dry Cabinet issues down here .

If I let it open by not leaving it inside the bag . Will it prompt to fungus ?

Dry Cabinet issues down here .

If I let it open by not leaving it inside the bag . Will it prompt to fungus ?
    If you let what open by not leaving what inside the bag? What does this have to do with your dry cabinet?

Please explain yourself clearly, we cannot read your mind.
    Alpha

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast