Thread: Mailorder from the US ?

Default Mailorder from the US ?

Hi all.... If one was to mail order from USA - what will I have to pay for the import by customs ? (% ? ). [ for both Camaras and Tripods.. same % ]

I'm not cutting out the local guys.... just seeking something you cant buy in shops ( anywhere actually ).

Its Really Right Stuff camera support gear.

Thx.

Default Re: Mailorder from the US ?

you'll need to pay the 7% GST... if i remember correct they'll charge purchase above sgd400...

for RRS things, choose the UPS delivery for faster delivery... and if things went wrong UPS easier to claim back within shorter time... the UPS guy will get the GST in cash from you before they pass you the goods...

hope this helps...

Note - it's everything over SGD400 inclusive of shipping charges! So, even if your stuff cost USD230, and shipping cost USD60, you will have to pay GST as that addes up to USD290 which is equivalent to SGD406 (taking the rate of 1.4).

Quote Originally Posted by Alpc View Post
    Note - it's everything over SGD400 inclusive of shipping charges! So, even if your stuff cost USD230, and shipping cost USD60, you will have to pay GST as that addes up to USD290 which is equivalent to SGD406 (taking the rate of 1.4).
    not too sure bout the sgd400... anyway if it's RRS it's easy to have the bills over sgd400

according to my bills, SG gov only charge GST on actual goods paid and delivered (excludes Shipping charges)...

hope this clarifies things a bit...

above 400 bucks will be liable for GST
    instagram: @2ndhandphotog

While GST is charged on goods, but if I recall correctly, the shipping charges are inclusive when they check on the amt to see whether GST should be charged or not... That's why I was always advised to make sure I don't go over the limit (inclusive of shipping).

Confirmed. I just received a parcel from BHphotovideo. GST will be charged on the cost of the goods delivered and postage charge. However, it is not clear what triggers the GST chargeable. The cost of the goods alone > S$400 or the combined > S$400.
    There is also a 'Disbursement Fee' of S$10. Not sure if this is applicable across the board though.

don't mind me asking here, but what's disbursement fee?

Quote Originally Posted by jaRv1s View Post
    you'll need to pay the 7% GST... if i remember correct they'll charge purchase above sgd400...

for RRS things, choose the UPS delivery for faster delivery... and if things went wrong UPS easier to claim back within shorter time... the UPS guy will get the GST in cash from you before they pass you the goods...

hope this helps...
    Bro,

U mean if you order sth from RRS website for normal delivery also (if its above SGD400), the parcel guy will get the cash from u on the spot?
    I turned PRO in diaper chg!
    My Flickr|My Son

Quote Originally Posted by Alpc View Post
    not too sure bout the sgd400... anyway if it's RRS it's easy to have the bills over sgd400

according to my bills, SG gov only charge GST on actual goods paid and delivered (excludes Shipping charges)...

Oh.. This are informative.. Thanks for sharing guys
    My Flickr|My Son

Quote Originally Posted by Numnumball View Post
    Bro,

U mean if you order sth from RRS website for normal delivery also (if its above SGD400), the parcel guy will get the cash from u on the spot?
    Yep, the postal guy will just take out his hand expecting payment...

I do this almost once every month (non personal stuff), goods delivered right to my doorstep. Singpost guy hands you the goods, gives you a big smile and say "GST is...."

Btw, it depends if postal cost is charged with the total invoice... if not, GST is just on the goods.
    Last edited by kriegsketten; 19th July 2010 at 01:25 PM.
    Myflickr | Zoom in for the KILL!

Quote Originally Posted by kriegsketten View Post
    Yep, the postal guy will just take out his hand expecting payment...

I do this almost once every month (non personal stuff), goods delivered right to my doorstep. Singpost guy hands you the goods, gives you a big smile and say "GST is...."

Btw, it depends if postal cost is charged with the total invoice... if not, GST is just on the goods.
    Thanks for ur info bro
    My Flickr|My Son

Quote Originally Posted by frostyIntrepid View Post
    http://www.thefreedictionary.com/disbursement

Possibly the surcharge of using their delivery service?

Much like shops charging surcharge if using Credit Card/ Nets or even minimum spending required which if i remember correctly is not supposed to be done.
    You wont see me much less remember me but i am the guy who makes you look good.

Quote Originally Posted by frostyIntrepid View Post
    I got no idea Was included in the invoice for GST, don't pay can't get the goods

Quote Originally Posted by Reportage View Post
    http://www.thefreedictionary.com/disbursement

Possibly the surcharge of using their delivery service?

Much like shops charging surcharge if using Credit Card/ Nets or even minimum spending required which if i remember correctly is not supposed to be done.
    Really ? I got conned !!

GST charges actually include shipping.....I was told when I collected my stuff at Eunos Singpost.