Thread: New to D90

Default New to D90

Hi All,

Finally my Financial controller release my budget and got a Nikon D90 yesterday at Funan Alan. TK Photo out of stock....OMG....So many ppl buying D90 nowsaday. Was at TK Photo when the boss took out 3 D90 and 3 indians (knowing one another) was there and each bought a D90...

When to beach this morning hoping to capture sun rise. But the sun is not working today....So no luck

Then i was thinking of capturing the wave & calm sea with slow shutter speed. Set to "S" mode and shutter at 10 sec. I try to capture the sea but photo came out over expose. Try to reduce the exposure but photo turn out the same. Do i need a ND filter for slow shutter speed during outdoor photoshot? How can get a good exposure with my D90? Can we set something else for that?

All expert, pls help. Thanks a lot

Regards

Default Re: New to D90

For long exposure during the day a ND is essential. But u can try to experiment with varrying Shutter Speed such as 1" 2" 4" etc. and check whether these settings can get what u want instead of jumping straight into a ND filter. Just my opinion. =)

Quote Originally Posted by Paradigm812 View Post
    Hi All,

Finally my Financial controller release my budget and got a Nikon D90 yesterday at Funan Alan. TK Photo out of stock....OMG....So many ppl buying D90 nowsaday. Was at TK Photo when the boss took out 3 D90 and 3 indians (knowing one another) was there and each bought a D90...

When to beach this morning hoping to capture sun rise. But the sun is not working today....So no luck

Then i was thinking of capturing the wave & calm sea with slow shutter speed. Set to "S" mode and shutter at 10 sec. I try to capture the sea but photo came out over expose. Try to reduce the exposure but photo turn out the same. Do i need a ND filter for slow shutter speed during outdoor photoshot? How can get a good exposure with my D90? Can we set something else for that?

All expert, pls help. Thanks a lot

Regards
    good camera!
    If in shutter priority at 10s, and the display shows "HI", that means the camera calculates it to be overexposed. That means the aperture closes down to the minimum and it's still too bright.
    Exploring! :)

Hi Zerocool, yes it show high exposual. So i still need a ND? Do i need a x4 or x8? Anyone can help?

Depends how many stops you need to reduce the exposure by. Can't say for sure. Depends on situation. Most ND filter
    users would have a variety of filters of different stops.

hi ts, do you know what a ND filter is for? and why are you suggesting using a ND for slow shutter speed?

Congrats on your purchase and welcome to the darkside. May the force be with you
    D90-MB80|N18-105|N50 1.8|T180 M.|GT1541T|Q3T|Up48|SB900|
    BBB Virus will Devour your Soul.

Hi pokiemon,

I really dont know....hahhaa....so on the web that for slow shutter speed in day times. Need to use a ND filter.

Can you enlighten me pls. Thanks a lot

Hi pokiemon,

I really dont know....hahhaa....so on the web that for slow shutter speed in day times. Need to use a ND filter.

Can you enlighten me pls. Thanks a lot
    If u understand the relationship between shutter speed, ISO and aperture affecting exposure,
    and you know what an ND filter is for, it should be a logical conclusion

Please read the newbies guide, learn about exposure and stops. Once you understand this concept it's a matter of seconds to calculate how many stops you need to reduce further using ND filter. At a certain point, every hobby needs some lessons
    EOS

1. Read the newbies guide.
    2. Read your mnual, especially the section on usig the light meter.
    3. Read online about filters.
    Alpha

Hi all, trust me. I am reading up on D90 books. But are experimenting my camera while reading the books. Can't finish the book over night right? But are doing hands on now.

Trusting you is not the issue here.

Hi all, trust me. I am reading up on D90 books. But are experimenting my camera while reading the books. Can't finish the book over night right? But are doing hands on now.
    Erm .. a manual is not a novel. The manual covers all aspects of operating the camera and gives you some indications about when to use which functions. That's all. But since light is changing every minute there are no standard settings. You need to learn to watch light and align this with your intention and to adjust the camera accordingly.
    EOS

I am reading Nikon D90 Digital Field Guide by J. Dennus Thomas

That's NOT a novel which you read from back to front before using your camera

i have tried to take the waves at a slower shuttle speed and the picture turns out fine.
    but you can't put too long, about 1 to 5 sec is fine.
    Just need to experimenting like what others have suggested.

read up on ISO, shutter speed and aperture, it will help.
    Nikon D90 | N18-105mm | T90mm | SB-600
    My Flickr

Blog Entries

I am reading Nikon D90 Digital Field Guide by J. Dennus Thomas
    Read this first.
    http://www.clubsnap.com/forums/showthread.php?t=309544

Then read the D90 field guide.