Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 46

Thread: Sirui tripod - 4 or 5 sections

  1. #1

    Default Sirui tripod - 4 or 5 sections

    I've narrowed down my next tripod purchase to the Sirui T-2204X or T-2205X. One is four sections and the other is five sections. All other specs are similar/ negligible. What I'm worried about is the stability. At maximum I would be loading d300s plus grip plus 70-200mm f2.8. Anyone used this can give some reviews about the tripod regarding stability?
    p.s. I've seen both tripods @ the shop. The leg of the five section looks quite skinny. I don't have the exact diameter though.

  2. #2

    Default Re: Sirui tripod - 4 or 5 sections

    The 5 section would be longer in height, but less stable compared to the 4 section. I would say go for the 4 section, T-2204X, which is much thicker in its legs, and your setup, I would say it's pretty good enough.

    I bought the T-2204X, and I'm contented and never regret getting a 4 section.
    Think fast, aim for the best !

  3. #3
    Member watsup's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Little Red Dot
    Posts
    347

    Default Re: Sirui tripod - 4 or 5 sections

    if it helps, i am using a 4 section one from sirui as well. Personally, i would say a 4 section is a compromise between stability and compactness.

  4. #4
    New Member kriegsketten's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Southern Enclave
    Posts
    2,560

    Default Re: Sirui tripod - 4 or 5 sections

    Quote Originally Posted by DemonicAngelz View Post
    I've narrowed down my next tripod purchase to the Sirui T-2204X or T-2205X. One is four sections and the other is five sections. All other specs are similar/ negligible. What I'm worried about is the stability. At maximum I would be loading d300s plus grip plus 70-200mm f2.8. Anyone used this can give some reviews about the tripod regarding stability?
    p.s. I've seen both tripods @ the shop. The leg of the five section looks quite skinny. I don't have the exact diameter though.
    Ditto with OD's words, if 2204 fits your height after deployment (without the center column extended) go for it. The last leg of 2204 is 16mm diameter I think versus 05's 12 and that's a whole world of difference. 2204 can carry 15kg (divided by 3 = 5kg actual) of equipment weight. Whereas 2205 is only 12kg meaning full effective load is only 4kg...
    Myflickr | Zoom in for the KILL!

  5. #5
    Senior Member geraldkhoo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    The Tiny Red Dot
    Posts
    2,571

    Default Re: Sirui tripod - 4 or 5 sections

    Quote Originally Posted by DemonicAngelz View Post
    I've narrowed down my next tripod purchase to the Sirui T-2204X or T-2205X. One is four sections and the other is five sections. All other specs are similar/ negligible. What I'm worried about is the stability. At maximum I would be loading d300s plus grip plus 70-200mm f2.8. Anyone used this can give some reviews about the tripod regarding stability?
    p.s. I've seen both tripods @ the shop. The leg of the five section looks quite skinny. I don't have the exact diameter though.
    I was also having the same considerations and eventually went for the 4-section one because it can take more weight, and it is also faster to deploy and keep
    A picture tells a thousand words... make yours speak a million!
    My Flickr | My Blog

  6. #6

    Default Re: Sirui tripod - 4 or 5 sections

    weight, folded length, max height and min diameter come into my consideration when i bought my sirui.
    I bought the T-2204X cuz of weight - 1.1kg vs 1.2kg for Sirui T-2205X, as well as diameter.
    The max height of T-2204X is sufficient for me who is 1.78 tall.
    The only shortcoming is the folded length being 41cm compared to 37cm for 2205X, but it's still shorter than most of its peer.

    For diameter, it's 19mm for T2204x and 16mm for T2205X. You may find all the spec here.
    http://www.zssirui.com/en/products.h...roName=T-2204X

    I still find it slightly heavy though at 1.1kg +0.4kg (ballhead). You may try C169 Benro at Ben Photo as well, i like the weight, folded length, height, etc ( cant rem if it's 5 sect or 4 sect) but at a price of $448.
    However, I still chose Sirui for the feel, as well as the price.
    Last edited by avalancheseah; 18th July 2010 at 11:52 AM.
    EOS 60D, Canon17-55/2.8 IS, Canon EFS 10-22, Sigma 70-300 AG Macro, 50/1.8, Canon 580EX II

  7. #7
    Moderator Octarine's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Pasir Ris
    Posts
    12,422

    Default Re: Sirui tripod - 4 or 5 sections

    Quote Originally Posted by watsup View Post
    if it helps, i am using a 4 section one from sirui as well. Personally, i would say a 4 section is a compromise between stability and compactness.

    I have Slik 340 (4 sections) and 400 (3 sections). I wouldn't want to have a 5 section tripod. Even if it's stable on paper, the thin legs will be susceptible to vibrations.
    EOS

  8. #8

    Default Re: Sirui tripod - 4 or 5 sections

    5 sections tripod are usually unacceptably unstable. The last sections are very thin. 4 sections is about the limit of compromise.

  9. #9

    Default Re: Sirui tripod - 4 or 5 sections

    I am a user of the Sirui 5section tripod user. Main reason i got it was because of the folded length. The 5 section is a plus for travelling purposes.
    So far the tripod have serve me well.

  10. #10

    Default Re: Sirui tripod - 4 or 5 sections

    i'm using the R1024 (4 section)
    I find the legs rather thin already. can be seen on the image below

    I believe a 5section tripod would be worst?

    The max load I'll give it is D700+grip+ 70-200 or 80-200.
    It stable enough on it's own, but of cause when you push the camera/lens it will topple
    Won't use a bigger lens on it.
    Last edited by wdEvA; 18th July 2010 at 09:38 PM.

  11. #11
    Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    in that polygon you avoid
    Posts
    348

    Default Re: Sirui tripod - 4 or 5 sections

    I also have the the 5 sections, although the 1005tx+g20 ballhead model.. very compact for travelling.. haven't used it that extensively because its still fairly new but it held my Oly E30, 50-200 and FL 50 (around 3-4 kgs more or less) without creep and i feel its stable enough for most non extreme uses.
    this!

  12. #12
    New Member kriegsketten's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Southern Enclave
    Posts
    2,560

    Default Re: Sirui tripod - 4 or 5 sections

    Yes, not all of Sirui's tripods are suitable for your needs (just as no one should take in all of Gitzo models by blind faith)... My suggestion? Grab a Sirui catalogue - at the back of it lists all the specs of each model. Take note of everything (no. of sections, last leg dimensions, min/max height, weight, Max load - must be divide by 3 yourself to fit your equipment needs). Once you narrow down to a few models of your liking, head down to the shop (TK is best for self testing). If you don't know how to test for vibration control, ask one of the experienced salesmen about it. For me, I was fortunate to have Philip to fully demonstate to me the strengths of Sirui's tripods - shocked and awed (completely swayed me away from a Gitzo 3-section model I was eyeing on earlier, which paled in comparison tests). Example of vibration control testing: have the tripods fully deployed - apply a bit of weight (as if your DSLR is on) to the center, and the pluck (as if plucking a Guitar string) or tap lightly at one of the leg sections. The better models are those whose vibrations will not last very long (sign of quick dispersion - solid!). Lousy ones will just vibrate away until kingdom come...

    For me, if you want the best of Sirui - go for their mid to top of the range models (pending the matching of your needs). If you want the best of Gitzo, same thing - don't go for their lower range unless you just want their name and not their strengths. I'd believe the top of the range Gitzos will withstand many tests - not sure most can withstand their pricing...
    Last edited by kriegsketten; 19th July 2010 at 10:06 AM.
    Myflickr | Zoom in for the KILL!

  13. #13
    Moderator daredevil123's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    lil red dot
    Posts
    21,627
    Blog Entries
    1

    Default Re: Sirui tripod - 4 or 5 sections

    Quote Originally Posted by kriegsketten View Post
    Ditto with OD's words, if 2204 fits your height after deployment (without the center column extended) go for it. The last leg of 2204 is 16mm diameter I think versus 05's 12 and that's a whole world of difference. 2204 can carry 15kg (divided by 3 = 5kg actual) of equipment weight. Whereas 2205 is only 12kg meaning full effective load is only 4kg...
    Every year I see people getting more and more kiasu about the max weight. It used to be 50% more... 12kg listed max, 8kg real max. Then it became 100%, 12kg listed, 6kg real max. And now I see 12kg listed max, 4 kg real max....

    At the rate we are going, everyone is going to need schatler legs, and kangrinpoche or markins head, even for entry level DSLR and kit lens.

  14. #14
    Senior Member ZerocoolAstra's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    rainy Singapore
    Posts
    9,522

    Default Re: Sirui tripod - 4 or 5 sections

    hahaha you are so right...

    to me it's more a 'confidence' feeling. When I see my tiny little DSLR mounted on a 3-section tripod with thick legs, and a solid (soon-to-arrive) ballhead, I feel secure
    I'm not one to follow all those 'load ratings' so carefully...
    The most important deciding factor is probably price, followed by 'shiok-ness'
    Exploring! :)

  15. #15

    Default Re: Sirui tripod - 4 or 5 sections

    Quote Originally Posted by daredevil123 View Post
    Every year I see people getting more and more kiasu about the max weight. It used to be 50% more... 12kg listed max, 8kg real max. Then it became 100%, 12kg listed, 6kg real max. And now I see 12kg listed max, 4 kg real max....

    At the rate we are going, everyone is going to need schatler legs, and kangrinpoche or markins head, even for entry level DSLR and kit lens.
    hahahahha, sachtler a bit of overkill, better go for miller solo tripods, can extend above 2m,
    problem can only use fluid head ar, by than the weight of the triipod is more than the camera it self.
    LORD of THe NoObs
    FLICKR

  16. #16
    Senior Member ZerocoolAstra's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    rainy Singapore
    Posts
    9,522

    Default Re: Sirui tripod - 4 or 5 sections

    just curious... TS, what kind of shots do you intend to take with D300s (gripped) coupled with 70-200/2.8 mounted on tripod?
    Exploring! :)

  17. #17
    Senior Member Numnumball's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Central
    Posts
    13,914

    Default Re: Sirui tripod - 4 or 5 sections

    Actually TS, i will avoid 4 or 5 sections and go straight for 3 sections one.. u are rid of the worry that the thinniest leg at the 4/5 section will be as steady as u thot they would..

    Avoid 5 section totally, 4 section the minimum requirement and use the last section only at extreme cases..
    I turned PRO in diaper chg!
    My Flickr|My Son

  18. #18
    Senior Member Numnumball's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Central
    Posts
    13,914

    Default Re: Sirui tripod - 4 or 5 sections

    Quote Originally Posted by daredevil123 View Post
    Every year I see people getting more and more kiasu about the max weight. It used to be 50% more... 12kg listed max, 8kg real max. Then it became 100%, 12kg listed, 6kg real max. And now I see 12kg listed max, 4 kg real max....

    At the rate we are going, everyone is going to need schatler legs, and kangrinpoche or markins head, even for entry level DSLR and kit lens.
    yah.. its a worrying trend indeed...

    But on a long term basis, its gd to get one that can boost a heavier max weight (if u are serious in photography, esp in the area of landscape or macro where tripod is prety much an essential component of ur entire photo shoot success)

    My GT2531EX only 12 KG.. but i have gone to load it up to 5 KG of macro equipment

    But like what i advise to most who ask me

    Just get the best u can afford
    I turned PRO in diaper chg!
    My Flickr|My Son

  19. #19
    Moderator daredevil123's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    lil red dot
    Posts
    21,627
    Blog Entries
    1

    Default Re: Sirui tripod - 4 or 5 sections

    Quote Originally Posted by Numnumball View Post
    yah.. its a worrying trend indeed...

    But on a long term basis, its gd to get one that can boost a heavier max weight (if u are serious in photography, esp in the area of landscape or macro where tripod is prety much an essential component of ur entire photo shoot success)

    My GT2531EX only 12 KG.. but i have gone to load it up to 5 KG of macro equipment

    But like what i advise to most who ask me

    Just get the best u can afford
    Wimberley bro? BBB!!

  20. #20
    Moderator daredevil123's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    lil red dot
    Posts
    21,627
    Blog Entries
    1

    Default Re: Sirui tripod - 4 or 5 sections

    Quote Originally Posted by Numnumball View Post
    Actually TS, i will avoid 4 or 5 sections and go straight for 3 sections one.. u are rid of the worry that the thinniest leg at the 4/5 section will be as steady as u thot they would..

    Avoid 5 section totally, 4 section the minimum requirement and use the last section only at extreme cases..
    Yup.. i have pretty much given up on the T-1005X. Going for T-1004X myself, for a travel tripod. I will still use my 3 section Manfrotto for landscape shoots in singapore though. Served me well, and has many years left in it.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •