Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Thread: Pentax K-X for fast moving kids?

Default Re: Pentax K-X for fast moving kids?

Quote Originally Posted by Xlusionist View Post
    have u tried "moving object" mode?
    Hmm....wat do u mean by moving object mode?
    I tried TV mode, i tried Scene Mode (under kids)......

Quote Originally Posted by Ghostfit View Post
    OMG ! ...A thousand apologies, marmmm sorry for not checking profile and assuming.

I was just kidding around and pulling your leg on the lens cap but it looks like the jokes on me !
    Lol....its alright.....no probs...

Think he meant by "Sports mode"/"speed priority mode" on your dial.

Quote Originally Posted by elstonng View Post
    Hmm....wat do u mean by moving object mode?
    I tried TV mode, i tried Scene Mode (under kids)......
    on your dial there's this picture mode named moving object aka sports mode. i think sports and kids are similar? i only know both are continuous shooting.

depends what type of image you wanna capture, just play around with shutter and aperture.

Although this thread is about dslr's, I have to beg to differ. You don't need a dslr to take photos of kids.

I have a Nikon P100, which is marketed as a mega zoom camera with a PnS sensor, but has a chock load of features. One of the features is being able to take about 10fps at 3mp. So you just turn the function dial to this 10fps, half press the shutter button to auto focus at approx distance to where your child is, and then press it all the way down and point at your child. In addition, it has the advantage of having a tiltable large (3 inch) LCD screen, which means you can get the camera lower or higher than your eye level, and if you hold it lower, then your child will not be so conscious of the camera as you aren't looking through it the same way you do with a dSLR. Not every photo will be perfect, but if you hold the shutter button down for just 10 seconds, you'll get about 100 photos. You'll get some that you like out of all those.
    Last edited by JohnTaylor; 18th August 2010 at 05:18 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by JohnTaylor View Post
    Although this thread is about dslr's, I have to beg to differ. You don't need a dslr to take photos of kids.

I have a Nikon P100, which is marketed as a mega zoom camera with a PnS sensor, but has a chick load of features. One of the features is being able to take about 10fps at 3mp. So you just turn the function dial to this 10fps, half press the shutter button to auto focus at approx distance to where your child is, and then press it all the way down and point at your child. In addition, it has the advantage of having a tiltable large (3 inch) LCD screen, which means you can get the camera lower or higher than your eye level, and if you hold it lower, then your child will not be so conscious of the camera as you aren't looking through it the same way you do with a dSLR. Not every photo will be perfect, but if you hold the shutter button down for just 10 seconds, you'll get about 100 photos. You'll get some that you like out of all those.
    I don't think you need a DSLR to take a photo of anything..

Quote Originally Posted by JohnTaylor View Post

I have a Nikon P100, which is marketed as a mega zoom camera with a PnS sensor, but has a chock load of features. One of the features is being able to take about 10fps at 3mp. So you just turn the function dial to this 10fps, half press the shutter button to auto focus at approx distance to where your child is, and then press it all the way down and point at your child. In addition, it has the advantage of having a tiltable large (3 inch) LCD screen, which means you can get the camera lower or higher than your eye level, and if you hold it lower, then your child will not be so conscious of the camera as you aren't looking through it the same way you do with a dSLR. Not every photo will be perfect, but if you hold the shutter button down for just 10 seconds, you'll get about 100 photos. You'll get some that you like out of all those.
    Well, sifting through 100 photos to choose some isn't exactly fun.

Sure any PnS can take photos of fast moving kids. It just depends on the scenario you are in. I'm finding indoors a challenge without flash and I'd sure like to know if the P100 can give good shots in this scenario.

Quote Originally Posted by molecule View Post
    Well, sifting through 100 photos to choose some isn't exactly fun.

Sure any PnS can take photos of fast moving kids. It just depends on the scenario you are in. I'm finding indoors a challenge without flash and I'd sure like to know if the P100 can give good shots in this scenario.
    To be honest I have only used the feature twice, and both times were outdoors, so I can't tell you. My gut feeling is that the photos would be grainy, and many would be blurred. Having said that, you'd probably get some that will be good, simply because of the faster shutter speed and sheer number of photos taken.

Finally.....managed to capture a "decent" not blurred pic...LOL
    Any comments......sorry if its not well taken as im still abit confused with
    the settings....Thanks

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Quote Originally Posted by elstonng View Post
    Finally.....managed to capture a "decent" not blurred pic...LOL
    Any comments......sorry if its not well taken as im still abit confused with
    the settings....Thanks

Uploaded with ImageShack.us
    Nice picture..

By the way, when seeing through the EXIF file of your picture, i found out that you are using AF point mode set as Auto.
    There are 3 type of AF point selection
    Select - you choose the point out of the 11 points available.
    Center - It's fixed at the middle/center point.
    Auto Area AF - The DSLR chooses for you.

Maybe the picture was blur due to your setting which your AF point is set at auto, as the K-x do not have the Auto Focus point confirmation at your viewfinder, you may not know which point was choosen if you have set to Auto area AF. Best is to select or always set at the Center.

Hope this help that you would capture lesser blurry shots.

Quote Originally Posted by ranchy View Post
    Maybe the picture was blur due to your setting which your AF point is set at auto, as the K-x do not have the Auto Focus point confirmation at your viewfinder, you may not know which point was choosen if you have set to Auto area AF. Best is to select or always set at the Center.

Hope this help that you would capture lesser blurry shots.
    I'll try this tip. Been playing around with different settings to determine what's best. One of my experiments was setting to 5-point vs 11-point vs center (started with this).

quick qn for the more seasoned pros here my kids move around constantly and I'm always trying to track them and snap at some point. Given these scenarios I've been trying to use either Aperture priority mode (lowest possible, still playing with kit), or Shutter priority mode (1/100 I was advised) or even Sports mode (seems to default to 1/180). I'm noticing different results from dim shots to different kinds of blur, some reasonably sharp ones. Kicking in the pop up flash... well the effect is different.

What would your settings suggestion be if say was shooting indoors?

After about a month of experimenting, I'm gravitating towards a 17-50mm F2.8 lens as I do realise I need to move back and forth these focal lengths.

quick qn for the more seasoned pros here my kids move around constantly and I'm always trying to track them and snap at some point. Given these scenarios I've been trying to use either Aperture priority mode (lowest possible, still playing with kit), or Shutter priority mode (1/100 I was advised) or even Sports mode (seems to default to 1/180). I'm noticing different results from dim shots to different kinds of blur, some reasonably sharp ones. Kicking in the pop up flash... well the effect is different.

After about a month of experimenting, I'm gravitating towards a 17-50mm F2.8 lens as I do realise I need to move back and forth these focal lengths.
    for indoors, flash helps. i would invest in a good p-ttl flash, point it upwards to bounce light off the ceiling, set to M, ISO 400 or higher if necessary, highest feasible shutter speed, and if using 17-50, step down to F5.6. meter with the green button, take a few test shots, fine tune, and you're good to go.

for the AF point, i would just set to center. we just discussed this the other day. search some of the old threads. takes the guesswork out of the whole equation.

but since your subjects are moving, i would suggest that u do some experiment. either AF-S, AF to center, or AF-C, set to 5 pt / 11 pt AF see which one works better for u.

but thats just my opinion ymmv
    Last edited by detritus; 31st August 2010 at 07:10 AM.

Try reading this thread.. http://www.clubsnap.com/forums/showthread.php?t=698116 More info on taking pictures of your children. Best if you can get better lighting so as to assist you to be able to take brighter shots. Using of the natural lighting helps alot.

I'm not inclined in buying an External flash yet, as say how often would you use it and pentax choice seem limited and those available and good are costly.

Try using your pop up flash first. And also you can self make a diffuser for it to reduce the harshness of the flash. This few links would give you more info.
    http://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/p...-up-flash.html
    http://www.instructables.com/id/DSLR...lash-diffuser/

You can also buy this type of flash diffuser if you do not want to DIY. Pop up flash SOFT BOX or Pop up flash diffuser 3 color set http://www.artworkfotos.com/others.html . There are other sellers in Mass sales but for easy reference, i just show you this which have both of it.

If you really to spend abit more you can try this, http://goods.gmarket.com.sg/gmkt.inc...rd=easy+bounce
    It has 2 functions, one as a mirror bounce or a diffuser.

why limited? pentax got 3 flashgun and 1 ringflash in its line-up, notable 3rd party mfts like metz and sigma got pentax models in their line-up also.

as for price, i think its a matter of getting what you pay for: value for money vs cheap. branded flash is not cheap for all camera brands. unless u are comparing with the unknown china brands that has ettl or ittl... i've not tested them, so i wouldn't know. i do know that unless i hear good things about them, i'm not likely to put my money there cos i may just end up paying twice.

how often will one use it? its with me NOW cos i'm going shooting after work.

aiya this kinda thing very subjective one lah... Molecule, try to find your mojo first... discover your style, understand your equipment. the decision on whether to buy a flash or not may come to you naturally after that...

Quote Originally Posted by detritus View Post
    .... step down to F5.6....
    can explain this and effect? so if using flash I can stick with kit lens?

can explain this and effect? so if using flash I can stick with kit lens?
    in AV mode, turn the dial and choose a bigger F number. this controls the aperture size. bigger F number, smaller aperture size. u will get sharper image, greater depth of field (i.e. background will be sharper as opposed to blurred background a.k.a. bokeh.)

for kit lens, aperture is max F3.5 at 18mm and F5.6 at 55mm. don't use the max aperture if u can. if there's enough light, step down a few stops. i.e. at 18mm, use F5.6, at 55mm, use F8.

there is a discussion on this here: http://www.clubsnap.com/forums/showthread.php?t=753808

as for the kit lens, if the focal length and maximum aperture is good enough for you, and you find the image quality good enough for your needs, why not?

same logic for on-board flash. if that is good enough for you, then no need to buy flash-gun.

different lenses and equipment can give u different kinds of look and feel and allows you to explore different aspects of photography. important thing is you must know what kind of photos you want to take, and develop your set-up accordingly.

thanks detritus, that's really informative! I'll go do some experiementing.

why limited? pentax got 3 flashgun and 1 ringflash in its line-up, notable 3rd party mfts like metz and sigma got pentax models in their line-up also.

as for price, i think its a matter of getting what you pay for: value for money vs cheap. branded flash is not cheap for all camera brands. unless u are comparing with the unknown china brands that has ettl or ittl... i've not tested them, so i wouldn't know. i do know that unless i hear good things about them, i'm not likely to put my money there cos i may just end up paying twice.

how often will one use it? its with me NOW cos i'm going shooting after work.

aiya this kinda thing very subjective one lah... Molecule, try to find your mojo first... discover your style, understand your equipment. the decision on whether to buy a flash or not may come to you naturally after that...
    Lol.. yeah was thinking those Cheap china brands n nissin flash. No much money to spend on flash so looking for cheap alternatives which is limiting to me when Comparing with other camera brand i felt.

Anyway, it really depends on your style of shooting. I don't own a external flash, and i only use the pop up flash when i required.

I was actually urging "molecule" not to get the external flash so hastily, if the pop up flash don't work well with him, then external flash would be the option. Good flash don't come cheap as you say, if spending so much and dont use, wasteful although buy n sell here wont mind.

Cheers... enjoy your shoot later.

Quote Originally Posted by ranchy View Post
    Lol.. yeah was thinking those Cheap china brands n nissin flash. No much money to spend on flash so looking for cheap alternatives which is limiting to me when Comparing with other camera brand i felt.

Anyway, it really depends on your style of shooting. I don't own a external flash, and i only use the pop up flash when i required.

I was actually urging "molecule" not to get the external flash so hastily, if the pop up flash don't work well with him, then external flash would be the option. Good flash don't come cheap as you say, if spending so much and dont use, wasteful although buy n sell here wont mind.

Cheers... enjoy your shoot later.
    i would advise to go for value rather than cheap... impt thing is must last and reliably fire off when required.

i have heard good things about the yongnuo one so i might have considered that one, but the YN is fully manual so u have to know what u're doing and experiment accordingly... might not be so straightforward to get the right exposure without doing a few test shots first.

bottom line: i'm lazy and i'll rather have p-ttl

the pop-up flash's problem is that it fires straight into your subject. its irritating to people and i don't like the washed out "bambi" look... even with diffuser, i feel that its too harsh.
    Last edited by detritus; 31st August 2010 at 05:18 PM.

i would advise to go for value rather than cheap... impt thing is must last and reliably fire off when required.

i have heard good things about the yongnuo one so i would have gotten that if i might have considered that one, but the YN is fully manual so u have to know what u're doing and experiment accordingly... might not be so straightforward to get the right exposure without doing a few test shots first.

bottom line: i'm lazy and i'll rather have p-ttl

the pop-up flash's problem is that it fires straight into your subject. its irritating to people and i don't like the washed out "bambi" look... even with diffuser, i feel that its too harsh.
    hmm pttl setting is good.. i also abit lazy to set those lolx. (Save up first. So much want things on my list..

I'm fine with the diffuser for now, Using one a mirror bounce with the pop up flash and it's working not too bad.

Are you good with older pentax flashes? I thought of lending my friend Pentax af 500ftz, not too sure whether it will work well with The k7 though.. you have any idea?

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast