Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Orchard Road floods AGAIN.

Default Re: Orchard Road floods AGAIN.

At least someone is creative enough to turn the disaster into some song.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mDupDDlpsdU
    A true photograph need not be explained, nor can it be contained in words.
    ~Ansel Adams

Quote Originally Posted by dannyfoxy View Post
    saturday the rain started 3.30am, weatherman still zzzzing......
    What makes you so sure that the weatherman is sleeping ? Wiki-something tells you that ?

Quote Originally Posted by stonefish35 View Post
    What makes you so sure that the weatherman is sleeping ? Wiki-something tells you that ?
    my dog told me that
    flickr
    ... I'm not a photographer yet.....

Quote Originally Posted by dannyfoxy View Post
    my dog told me that
    Oh woah.. Wiki-Dog... friend of Paul the octo ?

Oh woah.. Wiki-Dog... friend of Paul the octo ?
    yaya.. how u know one? so smart ah u
    flickr
    ... I'm not a photographer yet.....

On the contrary, let's defend PUB.

PUB did a great job. Ensuring water supply. Looking for ways for Singapore to be water-self sufficient.

Water sufficiency is a matter of life and death. It is no trivial matter. About 4.8 Million people in Sing need water everyday.

Heard rumors about 12 years ago people threaten to cut water supply....lend money or else.....

Even now, the same someone is pushing hard for the crooked movable bridge and it does not take a genius to figure out that a crooked movable bridge means that a water pipe cannot be fixed. So if you have not figured it out, now I am telling you. What this means.

Don't attack PUB just because of a few extra-ordinary floods. Don't say PUB or the guy in charge is incompetent. They have done a lot. Newater, Marina Barrage, DTSS....

We never used to have such sudden prolonged rainfall before.
    So the wisdom is to design drainage for the common occurrence and not a deluge you face once in 60 years. The world's weather has changed.
    Now if such non stop heavy rain is a common feature, then we just have to design differently. That's all.

It is easy to criticise. Now if the PUB does some engineering work to cater to the floods, and the weather becomes normal again for a long time. Some smart-aleck will then accuse PUB of over-reacting and wasting public funds, saying they should have waited first.

On a micro scale, we can say flood damage to a few shops is not good.
    But on a macro scale, actually having regular heavy rainfall is a great blessing. It means other people cannot continue to threaten you on a life-and-death issue.

Imagine if we had not a drop of rain in one year..... then we are in trouble.
    Last edited by ricohflex; 19th July 2010 at 10:02 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by La Fontaine View Post
    Whenever there is a typhoon coming, there are always alerts coming in well ahead to evacuate people, boats and ships sail away and so on.

But our weatherman has never given any useful alerts to warn people. That is why so many are caught unprepared and so much losses incurred.
    you talking about singapore or wat? u call that losses? u know in other countries, flooding will wipe out entire village or city, hundred of houses gone, lives also gone. those are losses. flooding in orchard is nothing...

i think other countries are laughing at us not because of "flooding". but because small thing talked until like big thing.
    Objection !!!

Quote Originally Posted by ninelives View Post
    you talking about singapore or wat? u call that losses? u know in other countries, flooding will wipe out entire village or city, hundred of houses gone, lives also gone. those are losses. flooding in orchard is nothing...

i think other countries are laughing at us not because of "flooding". but because small thing talked until like big thing.
    Not so true about flooding esp in Orchard as a "small thing". Apparently our neighbours were making a big hu-ha of it, like Indonesia. My boss were in Jakarta for a meeting and the ppl there were like, oh it was big news here that Orchard Rd was flooded. For a small country like ours whose news had usually been unworthy of being put in other countries' news, the floods put us in the spotlight.
    Canon EOS 500D | Tamron 17-50mm f2.8 non vc
    and the Kop sings, "You'll never walk alone"

Quote Originally Posted by koplady11 View Post
    Not so true about flooding esp in Orchard as a "small thing". Apparently our neighbours were making a big hu-ha of it, like Indonesia. My boss were in Jakarta for a meeting and the ppl there were like, oh it was big news here that Orchard Rd was flooded. For a small country like ours whose news had usually been unworthy of being put in other countries' news, the floods put us in the spotlight.

True. I was in Jakarta over the weekend and many asked me about the flood. It may be a relatively small flood but its really big news over there.
    It is easier to critique than to create ; www.razin-photography.com
    My studio is available for rent

Not to say defend the PUB or what, we need to see the big picture .

Alot of people were inconvenienced by the 4 floods, some had some property damaged, loss of stock etc. But remember, this is a El Nino year. And our neighbouring countries were experiencing Typhoon over the weekend. It is not as if only Singapore is flooded. Alot of Asian countries were badly hit too. Even European countries were badly hit. Luckily there's no fatality or serious injury. And I guess we are not prepared if Singapore is hit by a Typhoon.
    I guess all this flood waters will mean that Australia will suffer a even worse drought this year ?

Granted that more can be done by PUB to improve the flood situation that had shocked many locals, and foreigners. Let us learn from this experience and let PUB do their job. This is what we are good at. Learn from past experience ( and mistakes ) and move on.

Just do not give us the " this is an honest mistake " bullsh** again. PUB just learn n move on to lessen the inconvenience and damage in future.

Quote Originally Posted by ricohflex View Post
    But on a macro scale, actually having regular heavy rainfall is a great blessing. It means other people cannot continue to threaten you on a life-and-death issue.

Imagine if we had not a drop of rain in one year..... then we are in trouble.

Agree

somemore, better to have flood than haze

More rain = bo ho say north neighbor cannot threaten to cut water supply..

More rain = bui zhi dong south neighbor cannot pollute our skies..

What is the root cause of the floods?

1 This is a 50yr phenomenon. Dun worry, you're unlikely to see it again in your lifetime if you're say 40yr or older.
    2 There were some rubbish that choked up the drains. Literally Rubbish reason. So, they make a special grating to trap all these rubbish.
    3 The Stamford canal capacity not enough la. Gotta spend more money to widen it or to deepen it.
    4 Next flood - new creative cause. They might have gotten ready some thing in their files already.

I guess those folks in PUB are now in the hot seat.
    Do not be afraid [of ghost and bullies] Shoot them......

Not to say defend the PUB or what, we need to see the big picture .

Alot of people were inconvenienced by the 4 floods, some had some property damaged, loss of stock etc. But remember, this is a El Nino year. And our neighbouring countries were experiencing Typhoon over the weekend. It is not as if only Singapore is flooded. Alot of Asian countries were badly hit too. Even European countries were badly hit. Luckily there's no fatality or serious injury. And I guess we are not prepared if Singapore is hit by a Typhoon.
    I guess all this flood waters will mean that Australia will suffer a even worse drought this year ?
    Talkinga about neighbouring countries... Where is the Orchard Road of KL? Does it flood every now and then?

How about Jakarta? Where is its Orchard road? Does it flood?

Quote Originally Posted by skylover View Post
    Well.. flooding occur due to green house effect. Recent years the weather is getting from bad to worst. Temperature has been on the raise these few years.

Monsoon season came later than it used to be while the dry season seem to get hotter nowadays..
    While it is true that the change in weather is due to the green house effect, PUB should have forseen it long ago and make changes.
    I get paid more shooting part time ...... damn, I should find more time to shoot part time

Blog Entries

i dont know about you guys but I'm a Heartlander and do not shop around Orchard Rd area

So......I AM enjoying the rain and fresh clean air

we also seem to be gettng more of these spectacular sunsets and sunrises more than usual too
    shaddap and just shoot .... up close
    Walkeast

The sunrises and sunsets w/o the sun..?

Quote Originally Posted by ed9119 View Post
    we also seem to be gettng more of these spectacular sunsets and sunrises more than usual too

Its raining heavily again!

What if it chucks down & this year padang flood on the 9th July?

Quote Originally Posted by Royale With Cheese View Post

u mean august right?
    photography makes one sees things from all angles.

Quote Originally Posted by denniskee View Post
    u mean august right?
    I think so
    LIFE is like Photography. You use the Negatives to develop. The Pictures to prove the beauty.

Quote Originally Posted by Royale With Cheese View Post

It didn't. 9/Jul is already over.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast