Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 80

Thread: Orchard Road floods AGAIN.

  1. #1

    Default Orchard Road floods AGAIN.

    Businesses at Newton, Orchard Road area affected due to flash floods
    By Dylan Loh | Posted: 17 July 2010 1934 hrs



    Photos 1 of 1



    SINGAPORE: It looks like money down the drain again for retailers at Lucky Plaza. About a month after the massive Orchard Road flood, the watery mess returns.

    One owner of a shop at Lucky Plaza is a victim of yet another flood. The owner is not happy because renovations were recently completed and as a result of this, business has to stop.

    Christina Lim, shop owner, Singapore Gift Centre, said: "This is very bad. I feel that the management should do something about it because this is not the first time. It happens almost every year."

    It's a similar story nearby at Liat Towers.

    Ng Thian Chin said: "When I came here in the morning at about 6am, the water level was very high.”

    It was the same case at the yet-to-be-opened Wendy's restaurant just around the corner which was badly hit by massive flooding in Orchard Road last month.

    It seems like the eatery won't be commencing business anytime soon.

    Over at Newton Circus, police were managing traffic congestion as a result of flooding.

    Singapore's Civil Defence Force managed to rescue those trapped in broken down vehicles. - CNA/vm

  2. #2

    Default Re: Orchard Road floods AGAIN.

    I know we cannot expect Singapore to be totally flood free but is it unreasonable to expect ORCHARD ROAD to be flood free??? Alamak, so bad for singapore image... Imagine spend so much money on the Youth Olympics and then all the people from the world come to singapore and see our Number One shopping belt flooded....

    Some heads have to roll for this. Where is the sense of responsibility about all these? What are they doing? Last time say drain kenna block. Dun tell me it is block again.... within one month. Lost all credibility.

  3. #3
    Senior Member zac08's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    East
    Posts
    11,755

    Default Re: Orchard Road floods AGAIN.

    Let's just ask them, so where is the problem this time? once in 50 years, eh??

    How many times already these 2 years?
    Michael Lim
    My Flickr Site

  4. #4
    Deregistered
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Kuala Lumpur
    Posts
    7,061

    Default Re: Orchard Road floods AGAIN.

    Feel sad for Wendy's

  5. #5
    Senior Member giantcanopy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    SG
    Posts
    6,232

    Default Re: Orchard Road floods AGAIN.

    Quote Originally Posted by zac08 View Post
    Let's just ask them, so where is the problem this time? once in 50 years, eh??

    How many times already these 2 years?
    subsequently after the once in 50yrs explaination failed, someone already came out to explain not to expect singapore to be flood free liao.

    ryan

  6. #6

    Default Re: Orchard Road floods AGAIN.

    Quote Originally Posted by giantcanopy View Post
    subsequently after the once in 50yrs explaination failed, someone already came out to explain not to expect singapore to be flood free liao.

    ryan
    at least keep the few km square at CBD flood free lah.

    backyard flood never mind, nobody see. I think orchard road flood is very embarassing for singaporeans.

  7. #7

    Default Re: Orchard Road floods AGAIN.

    actually, i am more worried about the weather:

    during the two-hour downpour, some 178.4 millimetres of rain were recorded in the central areas, while 179.6mm of rain were recorded in the eastern areas.

    That's more than the average total monthly rainfall of about 159 millimetres for July.
    i don't remember july ever being this rainy.

    looking at past weather data, july shouldn't be this rainy either.

  8. #8

    Default Re: Orchard Road floods AGAIN.

    Quote Originally Posted by night86mare View Post
    actually, i am more worried about the weather:



    i don't remember july ever being this rainy.

    looking at past weather data, july shouldn't be this rainy either.
    ya but that amount of rainfall is hardly unexpected. I don't like they keep using the AVERAGE monthly rainfall. common, some years we have whole month no rain, some years very rainy. Average is a very bad number to quote. Maybe a sigma variation should tell the whole picture.

    See the quote below about what is considered rare rainfall. The highest is 512mm. YES that is almost 3 times what we got yesterday. Even in recent history 2006 we got 366mm which is TWICE than that yesterday. I shudder what would happen if we get hit by a 366mm rainstorm in dec...

    quote from
    http://www.getforme.com/previous2006...lashfloods.htm

    Yesterday (20 Dec 2006), Singapore was hit by the third highest rainfall recorded in 75 years.
    The 24-hour rainfall recorded was 366 mm. This amount of rainfall recorded in one day exceeds even the average amount of 284 mm recorded for the whole month of Dec in previous years.
    In 1978, the highest rainfall recorded over 24 hours was 512 mm while the second highest rainfall recorded was 467 mm in 1969.
    Although heavy rainfall is expected during this period, yesterday¡¯s (20 Dec 2006) rainfall was exceptionally high. It caused localized flooding in various locations in the northern and central parts of Singapore.


    Noticed the REPEATED use of the "greater than the average rainfall for the whole month" tactic. Too fool errr.... less discerning people that it is very rare to get a rainstorm that is greater than the monthly average.
    Last edited by alantkh; 17th July 2010 at 10:39 PM.

  9. #9

    Default Re: Orchard Road floods AGAIN.

    Quote Originally Posted by alantkh View Post
    ya but that amount of rainfall is hardly unexpected. I don't like they keep using the AVERAGE monthly rainfall. common, some years we have whole month no rain, some years very rainy. Average is a very bad number to quote. Maybe a sigma variation should tell the whole picture.
    flash flood is very different from a whole day of rain. that is quite sick, when you think about it. it is like... if i put a tap flowing at high speed the whole day, the basin can clear it. but if i pour one bucket in 2 seconds into the basin, it will overflow.

    please see:

    http://www.woeurope.eu/reports/wxfacts/Flash-Flood.htm

    Flash floods are increasingly observed in urban areas where the surface is unable to absorb large amounts of water in a short period.
    i think this is a problem that needs a long-term solution. as to what, i guess the authorities should address it soon.

    europe is also having loads of trouble with flash floods, in cities as well:

    http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/816121.stm
    Last edited by night86mare; 17th July 2010 at 10:46 PM.

  10. #10

    Default Re: Orchard Road floods AGAIN.

    Quote Originally Posted by alantkh View Post
    The 24-hour rainfall recorded was 366 mm. This amount of rainfall recorded in one day exceeds even the average amount of 284 mm recorded for the whole month of Dec in previous years.
    In 1978, the highest rainfall recorded over 24 hours was 512 mm while the second highest rainfall recorded was 467 mm in 1969.
    Although heavy rainfall is expected during this period, yesterday¡¯s (20 Dec 2006) rainfall was exceptionally high. It caused localized flooding in various locations in the northern and central parts of Singapore.


    Noticed the REPEATED use of the "greater than the average rainfall for the whole month" tactic. Too fool errr.... less discerning people that it is very rare to get a rainstorm that is greater than the monthly average.
    366mm in one day, versus half that amount in 2 hours.

  11. #11
    Member
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Bishan
    Posts
    515

    Default Re: Orchard Road floods AGAIN.

    Quote Originally Posted by giantcanopy View Post
    subsequently after the once in 50yrs explaination failed, someone already came out to explain not to expect singapore to be flood free liao.

    ryan
    maybe someone will come out with "50 times a year" new explanation

  12. #12

    Default Re: Orchard Road floods AGAIN.

    Quote Originally Posted by night86mare View Post
    flash flood is very different from a whole day of rain. that is quite sick, when you think about it. it is like... if i put a tap flowing at high speed the whole day, the basin can clear it. but if i pour one bucket in 2 seconds into the basin, it will overflow.

    please see:

    http://www.woeurope.eu/reports/wxfacts/Flash-Flood.htm

    i think this is a problem that needs a long-term solution. as to what, i guess the authorities should address it soon.

    europe is also having loads of trouble with flash floods, in cities as well:

    http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/816121.stm
    you are in UK right? Kind of curious, does Oxford street in London floods every now and then?

    I agree that it is impossible to keep the whole city flood free but I think it is reasonable to expect Orchard road to be flood free as it is iconic to singapore. I mean in 2006 thomson was flooded big time. But nobody really cared.

    And I really think the 366mm in 2006 occured in a relatively short time. As you said it is DEFINATELY not throughout the day else there will be no flooding. And I think 178 mm of rainfall in 2 hours is not that rare in singapore. Else there PUB will come out and say once every 50 years

    By saying that it is higher than the monthly average just makes it SEEM that it is rare. I think you know what I am saying right? did you not study statistics?

  13. #13
    Member
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Singapore/Central
    Posts
    423

    Default Re: Orchard Road floods AGAIN.

    Hoping to see what reason they give this time.


  14. #14

    Default Re: Orchard Road floods AGAIN.

    Quote Originally Posted by alantkh View Post
    you are in UK right? Kind of curious, does Oxford street in London floods every now and then?

    I agree that it is impossible to keep the whole city flood free but I think it is reasonable to expect Orchard road to be flood free as it is iconic to singapore. I mean in 2006 thomson was flooded big time. But nobody really cared.

    By saying that it is higher than the monthly average just makes it SEEM that it is rare. I think you know what I am saying right? did you not study statistics?
    not in uk, but no, i don't think oxford street floods.

    london rainfall is a lot less than singapore, it rains a lot, but the rainfall is small fry........ i never used an umbrella when i was in london.

    i understand what you mean by presenting a good image to tourists, and to ourselves as well. actually, no one wants flooding. i think it's sad that a lot of people (not here, so far, to qualify this, but in other places) are presenting it in a light such that the authorities are happy to let it flood. knowing how singapore is, definitely there are loads of things being done to resolve this.

    yes, of course i know what you mean. i'm not disputing the fact that higher than monthly average doesn't equate to being rare.

    i'm not a meteorologist, nor touched much on subject of weather save to do with photography - so pardon me if i get the picture wrong. 170+ mm rainfall in 2 hours is higher than the average rainfall for the entire month. for average rainfall for the entire month, they are talking about all 30-31 days, right?

    let's keep this a cordial discussion - i hope you aren't taking my words to be any form of personal attacks, because i mean nothing, we are all here to learn from each other, no one's knowledge is boundless.

    naturally these flash floods aren't the worst in the world, but they seem to be an emerging occurence worldwide. i think it would be a much less manageable problem for singapore - i don't think anything changed much from 2009 to 2010 in terms of drainage systems, nothing SUDDEN anyways. so perhaps some planning would have to be done for the longer term to make room for the occurence of such torrential rainfall. not just a solution to the problem at hand, but also something which will help. at the same time, the solution cannot be too costly, right? for example, the link i provided earlier suggested that urbanisation does play a part in worsening the impact of such flash floods.

    i'm thinking that soil does help in handling such flash floods, because when water hits concrete (built up area), it will run off immediately, whereas when it hits soil, the passage of water will be slowed down (at the very least, significantly). perhaps rooftop gardens would help, but for sure, they would possibly be very costly in terms of implementation, maintenance, etc.
    Last edited by night86mare; 17th July 2010 at 11:23 PM.

  15. #15

    Default Re: Orchard Road floods AGAIN.

    Quote Originally Posted by night86mare View Post
    i understand what you mean by presenting a good image to tourists, and to ourselves as well. actually, no one wants flooding. i think it's sad that a lot of people (not here, so far, to qualify this, but in other places) are presenting it in a light such that the authorities are happy to let it flood. knowing how singapore is, definitely there are loads of things being done to resolve this.

    let's keep this a cordial discussion - i hope you aren't taking my words to be any form of personal attacks, because i mean nothing, we are all here to learn from each other, no one's knowledge is boundless.

    naturally these flash floods aren't the worst in the world, but they seem to be an emerging occurence worldwide. i think it would be a much less manageable problem for singapore - i don't think anything changed much from 2009 to 2010 in terms of drainage systems, nothing SUDDEN anyways. so perhaps some planning would have to be done for the longer term to make room for the occurence of such torrential rainfall. not just a solution to the problem at hand, but also something which will help. at the same time, the solution cannot be too costly, right? for example, the link i provided earlier suggested that urbanisation does play a part in worsening the impact of such flash floods.

    i'm thinking that soil does help in handling such flash floods, because when water hits concrete (built up area), it will run off immediately, whereas when it hits soil, the passage of water will be slowed down (at the very least, significantly). perhaps rooftop gardens would help, but for sure, they would possibly be very costly in terms of implementation, maintenance, etc.
    yup. but initially you pointed the finger at the intensity of the rainfall. And I think a LOT has changed in orchard road in the past year. I am more inclined to believe that the reason is man-made drainage issues rather something related to the climate.

    Of course something is being done about it. Hey something WAS done about it last month. But did it work? Being a singaporean, sometimes I am a bit disappointed about the lack of accountability. It is not just one incident but a whole slew of incidents in recent times that give me this feeling....

  16. #16
    Senior Member Sion's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    新天地
    Posts
    4,768

    Default Re: Orchard Road floods AGAIN.

    Quote Originally Posted by mentol View Post
    Hoping to see what reason they give this time.

    The Dragon in West Heaven is thirsty.

    All followers must pray with 3 cups of Chinese tea (the finest type) to appease the angry dragon.

  17. #17

    Default Re: Orchard Road floods AGAIN.

    Quote Originally Posted by Sion View Post
    The Dragon in West Heaven is thirsty.

    All followers must pray with 3 cups of Chinese tea (the finest type) to appease the angry dragon.
    get your fact right lar, it is sun wu kong wave the ba jiao fan on mirana bay mah. that's why flood lor.

    anyway let lucky plaza flood lor, so many con shops. who will go there and shop /

    damn, do you believe in bao yin?
    Last edited by ninelives; 17th July 2010 at 11:59 PM.
    Objection !!!

  18. #18

    Default Re: Orchard Road floods AGAIN.

    Quote Originally Posted by Sion View Post
    The Dragon in West Heaven is thirsty.

    All followers must pray with 3 cups of Chinese tea (the finest type) to appease the angry dragon.
    led by the emperor..

  19. #19

    Default Re: Orchard Road floods AGAIN.

    Quote Originally Posted by Sion View Post
    The Dragon in West Heaven is thirsty.

    All followers must pray with 3 cups of Chinese tea (the finest type) to appease the angry dragon.
    Hahaha, I use frappacino can? So hilarious.
    Nikon glass, tools for the art

  20. #20

    Default Re: Orchard Road floods AGAIN.

    Tell me about it !! I was at CCK range taking part in the Singapore Open Shooting Chanpionship 2010 and the range was flooded due to the heavy downpour ....
    Tangfolio, 9mm; CZ75 Shadow, 9mm; S&W 686, .38

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •