Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Handcuff for taking flood photos?

photography makes one sees things from all angles.

Default Re: Handcuff for taking flood photos?

Quote Originally Posted by Kit View Post
    What if cuffing him was the only option at that moment in time to keep him out of harm's way......
    I agree with what Kit has mention. PO's duty is to protect lives and property. If the action of the photojournalist will cause harm to himself, PO or public. It is the duty of PO to make sure he is save from harm's way.

Since a warning has been given to him and he insist on doing it his way. I find no wrong with the PO cuffing him and bringing him away from the location to prevent him from getting harm at the same time the build up of onlooker near there.
    Nikkon D90 | AF-S NIKKOR 18-105mm 1:35-5.6G | DI866 External Flashlight | AF-S NIKKOR 50mm f/1.4G

What if cuffing him was the only option at that moment in time to keep him out of harm's way......
    If im not wrong, in the eyes of law. The judge would always judge based on the intention first before the actions.

In this case, if handcuffing him was the best way to keep him restrained for his own safety despite warning given, and due to the difficulty in crowd control under a chaotic situation, then the 2nd part --> the action of handcuffing is not valid because the PO's intention was not to harm the journalist, or in any way jeopardise his life/safety, but trying to protect him, and protecting civilians safety is part of a police officer's job.

This, however is just a general speculation. We do not know the exact details unless the Police Officer and Journalist has been through a series of questioning to release further information on the exact situation. So actually, we can just wait and i believe more will be coming up

Quote Originally Posted by synapseman View Post
    You are all wrong.

There was no flood. Never had one. The last flood we had was in 1972.

We are not the type of country that has floods.
    ya right, just happened more rain than usual and the canal overflowed..

Quote Originally Posted by skylover View Post
    I agree with what Kit has mention. PO's duty is to protect lives and property. If the action of the photojournalist will cause harm to himself, PO or public. It is the duty of PO to make sure he is save from harm's way.

Since a warning has been given to him and he insist on doing it his way. I find no wrong with the PO cuffing him and bringing him away from the location to prevent him from getting harm at the same time the build up of onlooker near there.
    po was afraid chief reporter will kick or punch him?, why din activate sof, dangerous photog, officer need assistance..

Quote Originally Posted by WISHBONEASH View Post
    po was afraid chief reporter will kick or punch him?, why din activate sof, dangerous photog, officer need assistance..
    hahha.. i doubt that PO require extra assistance. The most the other PO near the area come rushing down to restrain him. If the Chief reporter kick or punch him. That's the end of his career for the reporter.
    Nikkon D90 | AF-S NIKKOR 18-105mm 1:35-5.6G | DI866 External Flashlight | AF-S NIKKOR 50mm f/1.4G

There is some concern that the flood photos will give Singapore a bad image.
    Also, there are powerful people staying along that stretch of Bukit Timah.
    So there is anxiety of course.

Maybe these are photos by some residents in the flood hit areas.
    (I presume the photogs were not handcuffed for taking the photos within their own condo or electoral constituencies)

http://www.singsupplies.com/showthread.php?p=511311
    Last edited by ricohflex; 18th July 2010 at 11:02 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by skylover View Post
    hahha.. i doubt that PO require extra assistance. The most the other PO near the area come rushing down to restrain him. If the Chief reporter kick or punch him. That's the end of his career for the reporter.
    would-be robbers take note, this po will not hesitate to take gun and shoot

Quote Originally Posted by ricohflex View Post
    There is some concern that the flood photos will give Singapore a bad image.
    if taking photo of flood give singapore a bad image, then taking video and upload to youtube for the whole world to see should consider as even bigger crime?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FvZe16scxTI

Quote Originally Posted by takafan View Post
    In this case, if handcuffing him was the best way to keep him restrained for his own safety despite warning given, and due to the difficulty in crowd control under a chaotic situation, then the 2nd part --> the action of handcuffing is not valid because the PO's intention was not to harm the journalist, or in any way jeopardise his life/safety, but trying to protect him, and protecting civilians safety is part of a police officer's job.
    i dunno how handcuffing can help to make the reporter safer, what if he fell into flood water and drown because he was unable to swim or get himself up with the handcuff?

Quote Originally Posted by Wai View Post
    i dunno how handcuffing can help to make the reporter safer, what if he fell into flood water and drown because he was unable to swim or get himself up with the handcuff?
    next time, reporter must be naval diver train.
    photography makes one sees things from all angles.

Quote Originally Posted by Wai View Post
    Like I said before, they might have cuffed him to prevent him from getting into harm's way and I cannot imagine the police would leave a person in cuffs alone without any supervision. Its common sense really.....

Like I said before, they might have cuffed him to prevent him from getting into harm's way and I cannot imagine the police would leave a person in cuffs alone without any supervision. Its common sense really.....
    have you ever heard of any cases where a person was handcuffed for his own safety except for mentally unbalanced persons.. what a lame excuse... just a unthought through excuse given for a faux pas...

eat. drink. shoot

Quote Originally Posted by WISHBONEASH View Post
    have you ever heard of any cases where a person was handcuffed for his own safety except for mentally unbalanced persons.. what a lame excuse... just a unthought through excuse given for a faux pas...
    Why not? If it not for his/her own safety, then its for the safety of everyone else.....

aiya.. now the PO damn kiasi one, anything dangerous sure get cisco to do one, only those small small matter will come out and talk loud loud.
    One more thing to add, if PO can handcuff anyone one the street when they think they like to handcuff, what is the court of law and warrant to arrest for????
    police handcuff ppl, search or detaint private properties only when they get warrant from court. And they need to apply it with valid reason, cannot simply just arrest wor.
    If singapore PO is so powerful, when i think can do away with the court liao, why nwaste tax payer $
    Last edited by dannyfoxy; 18th July 2010 at 09:51 PM.
    flickr
    ... I'm not a photographer yet.....

Man goes robbing bank with gun.....
    Police came, man surrenders.....
    Police can't arrest man without a warrant.....
    Man runs away.....

How stupid does that sound?

Man goes robbing bank with gun.....
    Police came, man surrenders.....
    Police can't arrest man without a warrant.....
    Man runs away.....

How stupid does that sound?
    i'm sure there are some "emergency SOP" but not all the time doing this.
    just like you go hospital, if nothing emergency u still have to Q, if not everyone also jump Q, what is the point to have emergency??
    i don't think this is in the emergency case. if yes the PO have to explain and all CSer have to beware when shooting outside the street, some PO will just handcuff you for your own safety
    Last edited by dannyfoxy; 18th July 2010 at 09:59 PM.
    flickr
    ... I'm not a photographer yet.....

Why not? If it not for his/her own safety, then its for the safety of everyone else.....
    why yes, state me some case history. like i say the only situation i knew was regarding mentally inbalanced cases where they were handcuffed to their bed.

Quote Originally Posted by dannyfoxy View Post
    aiya.. now the PO damn kiasi one, anything dangerous sure get cisco to do one, only those small small matter will come out and talk loud loud.
    One more thing to add, if PO can handcuff anyone one the street when they think they like to handcuff, what is the court of law and warrant to arrest for????
    police handcuff ppl, search or detaint private properties only when they get warrant from court. And they need to apply it with valid reason, cannot simply just arrest wor.
    If singapore PO is so powerful, when i think can do away with the court liao, why nwaste tax payer $
    police don just detain or handcuff when they have a warrant, it all depend on the situation. perhaps you should have a better understanding of the law before saying all these.

Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast