Thread: shutter speed vs aperture

Default shutter speed vs aperture

hi guys wanna ask...

i feel that shutter speed n aperture somehow or rather work the same way...the both adjust the lights in the pictures i take..

just tat aperture will affect my depth of field?

Default Re: shutter speed vs aperture

and also is it 1/10 is slower den 1/100??

considering the 1/10 is a bigger fraction of a sec

Quote Originally Posted by alancwr View Post
    hi guys wanna ask...

i feel that shutter speed n aperture somehow or rather work the same way...the both adjust the lights in the pictures i take..

I *really* suggest that you start reading the stickies at the top of the Newbies Corner, especially the photography notes for newbies.
    Alpha

Quote Originally Posted by Rashkae View Post
    I *really* suggest that you start reading the stickies at the top of the Newbies Corner, especially the photography notes for newbies.
    Or find the book 'Exposure' by Bryan Peterson .. either in the library or at the book stores.
    A picture a day keeps the blues away!

6 posts and already 'sifu' .. alamak!
    EOS

Do spend some time reading this sticky
    5D3|1740L|70200F4L|40

and also is it 1/10 is slower den 1/100??

considering the 1/10 is a bigger fraction of a sec
    yes, your understanding is correct.
    5D3|1740L|70200F4L|40

dun like tat la...give chance i learning mah

I can sympathise with your feelings , and I take it you are seeking confirmation on your understanding.

To make things simplier , Shutter speed and Aperture and iso controls exposure. Speed of shutter controls motion , aperture controls DOF. So your understanding is generally correct.

Just read more online literature on exposure and the sticky posted by fellow CS members and you will be fine !
    Alpha and Omega

Quote Originally Posted by Atarandas View Post
    I can sympathise with your feelings , and I take it you are seeking confirmation on your understanding.

To make things simplier , Shutter speed and Aperture and iso controls exposure. Speed of shutter controls motion , aperture controls DOF. So your understanding is generally correct.

Just read more online literature on exposure and the sticky posted by fellow CS members and you will be fine !
    i am confused.

Quote Originally Posted by pokiemon View Post
    i am confused.
    Woot .. you are right... no proper reference to subject matter....but think I shall rest my case .
    Alpha and Omega

Simply put.

Slow shutter speed can affect the picture in terms of motion. With a moving subject, you'll not be able to capture it clearly or it you are not able to hand-hold al lower shutter speeds.

With a faster shutter speed, you'd be able to freeze the subject.

DOF, larger aperture will give you shallow DOF, smaller aperture will give you more DOF. This is generally speaking and you'd have to consider the other factors like subject to camera distance as well as background to subject distance.
    Michael Lim
    My Flickr Site

Quote Originally Posted by zac08 View Post
    DOF, larger aperture will give you shallow DOF, smaller aperture will give you more DOF. This is generally speaking and you'd have to consider the other factors like subject to camera distance as well as background to subject distance.
    Remember that by "larger" zac08 means lower f number, for example
    f1:1.8 is a larger larger hole in the diaphragm than f1:22

There is always a trade-off. There is a certain "amount of light" that your camera requires for correct exposure at any given ISO setting.

You can reduce the amount of light required by increasing ISO but at a cost of having more distortion and noise.

If you increase DoF by choosing a smaller aperture hole then you must increase the duration that the shutter is open for, at a cost of having more blur from motion.

If you increase shutter speed to freeze action then there is a cost of less DoF so your focus becomes more critical
    Canon 550D + Sigma 17-70 + Canon 70-300 + Canon 50/1.8 + Nissin Di866 + Benro A1691T

Quote Originally Posted by zac08 View Post
    Simply put.

Slow shutter speed can affect the picture in terms of motion. With a moving subject, you'll not be able to capture it clearly or it you are not able to hand-hold al lower shutter speeds.

With a faster shutter speed, you'd be able to freeze the subject.

Alpha and Omega