Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Korea + Jeju Island seek photo tips

Default Re: Korea + Jeju Island seek photo tips

Quote Originally Posted by arctos View Post
    Was about to say something similar. Fully agree with ed.

Make that special someone (i.e. your wife) feel special, by spending more time and attention on her than photography, especially for this special trip.

Guys, Yes, that is what I need all pre-planning so she will be enjoying it. You all may know woman sometimes difficult to please. Good home work will minimize negative points score.

Quote Originally Posted by tomcat View Post
    Thanks. They were just snap shots only. We were lucky to have good weather and sunny and clear skies for most of the trip.

Your setup should be sufficient. You should bring along a circular polariser as well as it is especially useful for sunny conditions for enhancing the blueness of the sky, saturating the colours and minimising reflection and glare from glass and water. Most of my shots were taken through a circular polariser.

Yes tomcat, I do have B+W CL Polariser on my 45-200mm. It is a 52mm filter. That also prompt me to go for the 9-18mm wide lens because it is also 52mm filter. So I can share the Polariser. On the other hand I still considering the 7-14mm if the price will come down somewhat.

Agree with one comment above regarding the photographer.
    I also had a very bad experience with their photographer in one of my Korean tour many years ago. At the end they almost make you buy all the photos(good and bad) at crazy and ridiculous price.
    The tour leader kept all our passports so in one way you are at their mercy.
    Just keep an eye of the photographer - when you taking a shot (be it scenery or your beloved one) he/she will take the same one just beside or behind you. I suggest you just walk away whenever he/she comes near you and not give them a chance to take any shot (of course if you have deep pocket $$$ just let them lo).

Just bring a standard zoom will do... Use it to take memory shot of you both rather than that arty farty shots.

Korea is romantic.. Fall in love again.. bro.
    Please Don't Report This Post To A Moderator

Hi tomcat, I also notice from your photos, you hardly use more than f7is there any obvious reason? To me since it is scenery shot, it should be as detail as possible, why not use f11 or f16?

Did you use flash gun during the trip I see few shot has good lighting. Natural provided or your flash skill? I am hoping to duplicate the similar shots there. I travel a lot of places in China when I worked there, but never taken photos for memory. So sad.

Quote Originally Posted by tomcat View Post
    Dragon Peak is much higher up and is reached by cable car from the hotels at Yong Pyong. Did you remember taking cable car at Yong Pyong? That is supposed to be one of the shooting locations for the Korean series Winter Sonata.

The itinerary of Hong Thai's tour is actually supposed to cover shooting locations of popular Korean TV series... that was why we went to Dragon Peak, Nami Island, Windmill Lounge at Lotte Hotel, Songup Folk Village, etc.
    Yes i did went to that resort but didnt take cable car. I think it's under maintenance. That destination was mainly for accomodation only, were not introduced to the sights. But we did went to the winter sonata house & took pics on our own the next morning before leaving (not uphill thou).

As for my trip, i felt the photographer is even more hardworking than the guide. (he serve us food, help carry luggages, and just took few pics of us occationaly) The guide simply forbid us from taking cable car up Mount Sorak... saying its too crowded.. and he didnt even show us the mini zoo @ one of the theme park... end up we tip the photographer (now my friend) more than the guide

F & E is the way..
    Last edited by Bathtub81; 19th July 2010 at 11:39 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by pchengws View Post
    Hi tomcat, I also notice from your photos, you hardly use more than f7is there any obvious reason? To me since it is scenery shot, it should be as detail as possible, why not use f11 or f16?

Did you use flash gun during the trip I see few shot has good lighting. Natural provided or your flash skill? I am hoping to duplicate the similar shots there. I travel a lot of places in China when I worked there, but never taken photos for memory. So sad.
    As most of my shots are taken outdoors in daylight conditions, I don't use flash for landscape photography. Also, as I don't usually use a tripod on such packaged tours and don't like to use high ISO, I would need a relatively fast shutter speed for handheld shooting. So unless it is extremely bright, setting a small aperture like f/16 would result in slow shutter speeds and greater chances of blurring. As a compromise, I find that f/8 is about right. In any case, the sweet spot for most lenses is about f/8 anyway.

really be careful of the korea herb specialities shop the tour guide bring u to 'visit'. their selling tactic is superb.

be wary of tour guide that say he used to be a doctor .
    Canon.550D|EF-S 18-55mm| EF-S 55-250mm| EF-S 18-55mm 1:3.5-5.6| EF 50mm 1:1.8|Di866

Actually, the only things I found to be worth buying or even especially to go to Korea for are the white ginseng capsules/tablets/extract and cordyceps as these are really good for our health (especially older folks like me) and not available outside of Korea.

I was really surprised to find that Korea cultivates and markets live and powdered cordyceps and what's more, they are produced and their quality is backed up by Samsung no less. Cordyceps, wild or cultivated, is very expensive everywhere in the world. It is still expensive compared to other normal Korean produce like seaweed, young people cosmetics, etc that tourists usually buy but is the cheapest genuine cordyceps that I know of anywhere in the world.

Thank you all for the valuable tips. Now I have to settle my wife VISA. I need to prove I am still working, able to support her to go for the trip and will pay for her full board and lodging. 30 years, she is still holding on to her Indonesia passport. Hopefully she will get her citizenship by end of the year. Minimum 6 months to apply for citizenship. Her main assets is not the husband. It is her 2 singaporean working children.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12