Thread: what is the lowest shutter speed which can be used without a tripod and not blur ?

Question what is the lowest shutter speed which can be used without a tripod and not blur ?

as above...

1/2?
    1/4?
    1/8?
    1/15?
    1/30?
    1/60 ?

General rule-of-thumb... lowest shutter speed to use for handheld shot should be approximately the reciprocal of your lens focal length.

1/20th for 20mm focal length
    1/50th (1/60th or 1/40th) for 50mm focal length
    1/100th for 100mm focal length
    1/200th for 200mm focal length

Hope this helps!

With a heavy lens, I can go down to about 1/30 and that's about the slowest I can do handheld. I think it also depends on the individual. Some claim they can handhold up to 1 sec.......hahaha

Originally posted by Kit
    With a heavy lens, I can go down to about 1/30 and that's about the slowest I can do handheld. I think it also depends on the individual. Some claim they can handhold up to 1 sec.......hahaha
    hahahaha.

For me, it's also 1/30, up to maybe 105mm or so, with proper bracing/support, maybe I can get away with the same speed on a 200mm.

For my 20mm lens, I've handheld at about 1/15s. Anyway, tripod or not, subject movement also starts to come into play.

Regards
    CK

i have tried 1/8 at f2.8 on 28mm on a leica range finder camera. it look sharp. at 1/30 all pic are sharp even on 90mm.
    but should use tripod, why take chance? unless no tripod.

Originally posted by howie
    i have tried 1/8 at f2.8 on 28mm on a leica range finder camera. it look sharp. at 1/30 all pic are sharp even on 90mm.
    but should use tripod, why take chance? unless no tripod.
    Rangefinders can be hand held at a lower speed without much problems.

Tripods are nice, but they are a chore to carry around, especially when travelling. And sometimes, you don't have time to setup a tripod, or you find that there's not enough space in front of you to setup a tripod (like on a narrow walkway with a valley below you).

Regards
    CK