Thread: Where have all the pictures in my CF card gone to?

Default Where have all the pictures in my CF card gone to?

The story is...

I took out the CF card from the camera about 5 minutes after a lengthy continuous shoot... which I shouldn't have done as I believe the camera/CF card was still accesssing the data while I took out the 45x CF card.

I tried to access the CF Card with a card reader and realised all the pics during "that lengthy shoot" were gone including few pics I took hours before that. They are now obviously occupying a portion of my memeory card but no files can be found

Put the CF card back to the camera again and no pictures can be seen although memory space is occupied by those missing pictures....

How did that happen and can I still retrieve those data?

use one of those image retrieval software?

Quote Originally Posted by mpenza
    use one of those image retrieval software?
    You mean by using the software, some of those pictures can still be retrieved?

ok, who and where can I get the so-called image retrieval software before I attempt to format the CF card for my next assignment?

if data is actually written into the card, then it may be able to retreive... but from your description, it seems the data is not completely written in yet...so...
    anyway, no harm trying...
    http://www.datarescue.com/photorescue/
    probably many others if you do your searches...

regards
    ..NuTs..

Quote Originally Posted by jasphotography
    You mean by using the software, some of those pictures can still be retrieved?

ok, who and where can I get the so-called image retrieval software before I attempt to format the CF card for my next assignment?

Quote Originally Posted by nuts
    if data is actually written into the card, then it may be able to retreive... but from your description, it seems the data is not completely written in yet...so...
    anyway, no harm trying...
    http://www.datarescue.com/photorescue/
    probably many others if you do your searches...

regards
    ..NuTs..
    thanks Nuts... trying out the recovery software now, keep your fingers crossed for me, will ya...

Nuts, this is what I got:

I see no reasons why some of the images cannot be recovered especially for those I took hours before I took the CF card out.

But now, all I got from the rescue software is all my images are "not a photo" anymore.

Not very sure what cam u use here but just making a guess here that u could be using RAW format to take those pictures? Cos most image rescue program can only display Jpeg or Tiff format.
    So if you really took those pictures in RAW format, just recover the files as it is and rename the extension to the correct one. After that try to use the photo editor software that come with your camera to open the RAW files.
    Hope it works for you.

Hi Jas,
    I think Cursor may have a pt. Otherwise, if you're shooting JPG, then mabbe some headers got corrupted? Since the software identify that there's some data there, but couldn't identify what sort of data is there....
    can't really help u there.. sorry..

regards
    ..NuTs..

Quote Originally Posted by nuts
    Hi Jas,
    I think Cursor may have a pt. Otherwise, if you're shooting JPG, then mabbe some headers got corrupted? Since the software identify that there's some data there, but couldn't identify what sort of data is there....
    can't really help u there.. sorry..

regards
    ..NuTs..
    Is that a Transcend? I ever had bad experience with my 30x 512MB where I went shooting, came back hours later, insert the card into card reader, and realise 90% of the shots were corrupted beyond repair....

LIke cursor/nuts said, if you have shot in raw, the software might not be able to recognize it but you can try recovering anyway.

Regards
    CK

Thank you guys for concern... I'll send your regards to my CF which is in ICU (Intensive Care Unit) now recovering....... by tomorrow or so will know if she can pull through or not.

FYI, I was shooting Tiff (fine mode) and CF card is a Transcend, as Ckiang has anticipated... not a terribly reliable brand, by any standard

Quote Originally Posted by jasphotography
    Thank you guys for concern... I'll send your regards to my CF which is in ICU (Intensive Care Unit) now recovering....... by tomorrow or so will know if she can pull through or not.

FYI, I was shooting Tiff (fine mode) and CF card is a Transcend, as Ckiang has anticipated... not a terribly reliable brand, by any standard
    I heard a lot of problems with the 45X Transcends but never expect the problem to hit my 30x one. Heck, even my Sandisk FireWire CF reader sometimes doesn't recognize my Transcend card as well. A just a few months back I had to help someone recover his card where the images magically disappear like yours. But he was luckier, I managed to recover nearly all his Canon RAW files.

Why are you shooting TIFF? Isn't RAW a much much better option?

Regards
    CK

she has recovered !!! .... at least 90% ....

Thank you very much for "that person" who helped her to recover. Anyway, "that person" has his fair share of Bah Cuo Mee, Sambal StingRay and Bbcue Chicken Wings...

good for you I'll be getting a sandisk extreme card and the software is supposed to be able to recover broken images too. I had a previous case where a pic has gone missing.... but was recovered using a shareware (only two images max).

Can share how she was recovered?

just in case *cross my fingers* *touch wood*

Deregistered

Quote Originally Posted by berryhappy

Bak Chor Mee from Bedok Blk 85, along with chilli stingray, BBQ chicken wings, did the trick...

Quote Originally Posted by berryhappy

using some recovering software bah... "that person" never revealed, maybe he still wants more of my Bah Cuo Mee, Sambal StingRay and Bbcue Chicken Wings in future

anyhow, anyone who knows where to get free recovering software, if there really exists one, do kindly drop us a link here.