Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Nuisance Calls

Default Re: Nuisance Calls

Quote Originally Posted by NeTHaCk View Post
    What i do now : Just ask them politely which company they are from, and tell them if they still call, this matter would be lodged to the police for harrassment and the person on the phone will be the main culprit for failure to tell the company that you do not wished to be called for such promotion. tell them you're going to switch on speaker now, and record the conversation as proof and you'll repeat everything that was said of XXX(the caller) from XYY(company) should tell the colleagues and company to remove from the list and if such calls are made again, XXX from XYY company shall be liable for harrassment suit.

works for me
    Wah! Power!!!

Quote Originally Posted by NeTHaCk View Post

works for me
    you wish . u think they scare? nowaday they outsource to China ! no way to track.
    Objection !!!

Simple reply will suffice. Say not interested. I ever returned a missed call to this type of company. Then later tell them I am not interested after learning that the call was to ask me sign up some package/CC/etc.

Quote Originally Posted by TroyP View Post
    If you just rudely hang up straight away, they might just remove you from the list
    they won't... i changed my number and stop giving my number to credit card co... then all these nonsense stopped suddenly..

Quote Originally Posted by Canonised View Post
    whalau, you never kanna such calls before?
    When you said like sorry, i am not interested, they will try to make you interested with more stories la ....

if you feel sorry that these people are just trying to do their jobs, then I would suggest that you should let those robbers visit your house and clear all your belongings .... they are also doing their job (and a pretty hated one at that).

A little patience and politeness to these robbers would make the world a better place, if we are to believe your comment.
    I get my fair share of around one call a week, sometimes more (can get up to 2, 3 calls in a day). Each time, I reply with a firm but polite "no thanks, I'm not interested" all the way until they hang up, regardless of their stories. (And yes, this was the case even in the days before I got a free incoming call plan.)

And it's not fair to compare their jobs to those of robbers, since robbers forcefully take your belongings from you without your consent, whereas these telemarketers, irritating as they are to us, are merely trying to get our consent to sign up for packages/credit cards, which we CAN refuse. There's a reason why one "job" is illegal but the other is not.

If given a choice, you think they would willingly and happily work as a telemarketer and get scolded/yelled/ridiculed on a constant basis for a meagre commission based on the number of successful calls they make? At least they are trying to make an honest living, instead of turning into robbers.
    Last edited by arctos; 19th July 2010 at 02:54 PM. Reason: spelling mistake

Yes, numbers are all sold, some are by Info-Tools Pte Ltd.

I feel that the gov should regulate these telemarketing industry..

Telemarketing companies should register with the telcos and given a special group of numbers, say, start with 5xxx xxxx.

Private companies can also apply for the 5xxx xxx numbers to do their marketing.

Trying to solicit business/marketing w/o using 5xxx xxxx numbers will kena fine.

This is like having <ADV> in the subject line for emails.

Then, subscribers can choose whether to block all 5xxx xxxx numbers like the way they filter spam mails.

Quote Originally Posted by ninelives View Post
    Listen to me, this is consider an invasion of privacy !

where got happy. i always receive those calls when i am sleeping. damn angry. due to job nature, my phone must always be on. i ever told a bank to flag my number and dont call again.. but yet they called.....i am very sensitive to noise, once i wake up by them, i can't fall alseep liao, then i whole day will be moody.

sometime in a meeting, they also call...

and dont ask me to respect them. they always call with private number, when i ask them for their number, they wont give. i want to call them at 3-4 am and see how they feel.

in some countries , these kind of stuff is very strict, the company will get into big trouble if they keep calling. this is like email spamming, you can get fine.

dunno about singapore.
    Yes, I agree with you. In the Europe and US, their privacy laws are very strict. The companies can get a hefty sum fine if they do not obey these laws. Not sure even our ISPs follow them!
    Kind Regards
    My Picture Website

Quote Originally Posted by Cutesperm View Post
    Hehe... For those roadshow credit card, I just say i'm a bankruptcy case and keep walking... they would just stare at me blankly and look stunned.
    I told them I am a tourist and will be going back home tomorrow...
    Canon 5D Mark II | 24-105L | 35L | 85L II | 135L | Samyang 14mm 2.8

I get quite a lot of these kind of calls as well. In the beginning, I politely turned them down but realized that they'd call again a few days later -- sometimes the same person calls, sometimes different.

Since I'm using an iPhone, I decided to create a new contact called: "My Blocked List". Everytime I hear from them, I add the number into this contact list. This way, I'm able to filter out and thus minimize unwanted calls.

:Later,

Why so upset over cold sales calls?

Use your imaginations and make fun of the caller. There's no guarantee that the caller won't call you back, but at least you got the kick of it.

Here's few real life example:

Caller with strong xxxxx dialect:
    (If I'm in good mood) Sorry, I did not get you. can you say again? repeat until caller hang up.
    (If I'm not in good mood) Can you call British council, register for english for business conversation class and after you complete the module, then call me back?

Caller for Credit Card:
    Great!! I did not know anyone who filed for bankruptcy last month can apply for new credit card. Can you send me the forms and your contact?

Caller for investment:
    Do I have financial adviser? My wife lor.
    Would I like to have an additional financial adviser to get 2nd opinion? Cannot lah... later my wife angry, then I have to sleep outside.
    Do I have friends number to intro you? have... but I passed them all to my wife.

If you got no time to play around, pretend listening, and hang up. When the caller calls you back, apologize for bad connection. repat this for 2 or 3 times when you have enough: Yeah i got bad connection, but I think you did not get the drift why I have bad connection.

etc etc.... Photographer would have lots of creative genes embeded. Use it!
    Last edited by Foxshade; 19th July 2010 at 07:51 PM.
    A true photograph need not be explained, nor can it be contained in words.
    ~Ansel Adams

Quote Originally Posted by Foxshade View Post

etc etc.... Photographer would have lots of creative genes embeded. Use it!
    like others and myself have said "you can stop one, but you cant stop all." i just subscribed a new land line for less than a month. i never give this new number to anyone and i already receiving this kind of call. wtf????? and i was sleeping !!! i asked singtel is this a recycled number, she said no !! knn....
    Last edited by ninelives; 19th July 2010 at 09:55 PM.
    Objection !!!

Quote Originally Posted by Virgo View Post
    Recently, I've been receiving a lot of calls from other companies asking me to enroll in their spa packages, sign up for their credit card or loan packages, and even facial packages!

When I asked them how did they obtain my number, they just replied they got it from their database. But when I probe further how my number got into their database, they didn't want to reveal more.

I was suspecting that my number has been used by SingTel to sell it to these companies for marketing purposes.

Does anyone of you receive these calls before? How can I prevent all these nuisance calls? I felt like giving these callers a good scolding, but I know it was not their issue. Someone out there must have given them my number. I can't take it any more!
    Hi TS,

This is how i solve the calls from banks regarding credit card.

I ask which bank are they calling on behalf, and says thanks I'm not interested.

Then I draft an email to the customer service of that bank, saying that I would like to be remove from the cold call database, citing that I am always travelling overseas and do not wish to be disturbed.

And ever since, I have not gotten any calls for credit card.

What is left is the spa and the insurance calls.. anyone have any idea?

cheers

Quote Originally Posted by ninelives View Post
    like others and myself have said "you can stop one, but you cant stop all." i just subscribed a new land line for less than a month. i never give this new number to anyone and i already receiving this kind of call. wtf????? and i was sleeping !!! i asked singtel is this a recycled number, she said no !! knn....
    This is a clear evidence that our service provider is selling away our numbers for a profit to their merchants. If it's not a recycled number, then how on earth did these merchants get your number when you didn't even revealed it to anyone? Only your service provider has it right?
    Kind Regards
    My Picture Website

Quote Originally Posted by toothie View Post
    Hi TS,

This is how i solve the calls from banks regarding credit card.

I ask which bank are they calling on behalf, and says thanks I'm not interested.

Then I draft an email to the customer service of that bank, saying that I would like to be remove from the cold call database, citing that I am always travelling overseas and do not wish to be disturbed.

And ever since, I have not gotten any calls for credit card.

What is left is the spa and the insurance calls.. anyone have any idea?

cheers
    Thanks. More are from spas and insurance.
    Kind Regards
    My Picture Website

I forwarded my calls outside office hours to 62952944 for 3 months. No more spam calls ever since.
    Tum podem extulit horridulum...日出東方﹐唯我不敗。

Quote Originally Posted by eyes View Post
    I forwarded my calls outside office hours to 62952944 for 3 months. No more spam calls ever since.
    hmm.. the telco should introduce a new VAS.. forwarding selected number to specific numbers..

Then, user can record the number of the spam calls and forward those numbers.. most spa and insurance call numbers are not private..

Blocked number/private number - I don't answer them. Unless I am very free, I answer and say sorry, not interested and hang up immediately.

Other unknown numbers - I answer if am free. Not free, I dun answer. I just call later. If it's telly marketing, I will just say no and hang up immediately. I just dun waste time with them.
    Do not be afraid [of ghost and bullies] Shoot them......

Quote Originally Posted by eyes View Post
    Wah, what number is that, so special ah?

Maybe, I will try that.
    Do not be afraid [of ghost and bullies] Shoot them......

i think you need to tell them "Please remove my name from your database"
    These are the magic words.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast