Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Nuisance Calls

Default Re: Nuisance Calls

Quote Originally Posted by Virgo View Post
    What I mean is, do we have privacy laws in Singapore as a whole? I know that there are very strict laws in the US and Europe to control this.

Can you imagine our ISP selling our numbers to other companies for a profit? I'm not sure, but if there isn't such laws here, then there's nothing consumers can do right?
    There is to some extend.. But I believe its not strictly enforce as like other country. There is bound to have a loop hole these company are playing around with it.

Eg. T&C might say, they cannot sell your details to 3rd party but they may share information with their business partner. A word can and may makes a lot of different to the T&C clause.
    Nikkon D90 | AF-S NIKKOR 18-105mm 1:35-5.6G | DI866 External Flashlight | AF-S NIKKOR 50mm f/1.4G

I usually tell the credit card companies I've been unemployed for the past several months and they usually hang up.

Quote Originally Posted by yujun View Post
    I usually tell the credit card companies I've been unemployed for the past several months and they usually hang up.
    Nice one..
    Nikkon D90 | AF-S NIKKOR 18-105mm 1:35-5.6G | DI866 External Flashlight | AF-S NIKKOR 50mm f/1.4G

once i told them politely i'm not interested and got scolded

recently, they ask things like...do you have xxx company credit card... how many cr card do you have...before they sell, they try to get your details...trying their luck to get info

from what i heard, usually these ppl they gotten your number thru survey or lucky draw event. the ppl then colate everyone's number into a database and sell them to your ever so irritating insurance company and CC. and inside this company there are different groups/teams. each group and team manager go and buy this database from these ppl who collect all this info.

so company ABC can have like 10 sales teams and manager from team 1-8 decide to buy from data collector XYZ, u most prob get probe by ABC 8 times.
    D80/D700 18-135/17-50/14-24/24-70/70-200/70-300/50/60 SB600/900

Quote Originally Posted by yujun View Post
    Hey, that sounds better than mine...

Me: Hello....
    They: Hello Mr X.. blah blah product blah blah
    Me: Hello.....
    They usually hang up after a while. I did the same thing to those calling from China, since my Chinese is only like 5-6 phrases (Ni how mah, Meio, and a couple more):

Me: Wei... ni how mah?
    They: How, how.... Blah blah blah blah...
    After a while: Me: Wei... ni how mah?
    Then they hung up the phone on me!!!

Quote Originally Posted by marios_pittas View Post
    Hey, that sounds better than mine...

Me: Hello....
    They usually hang up after a while. I did the same thing to those calling from China, since my Chinese is only like 5-6 phrases (Ni how mah, Meio, and a couple more):

Me: Wei... ni how mah?
    Then they hung up the phone on me!!!
    You know... those telemarketers are just trying to do their job (and a pretty hated one at that).

So just a polite "sorry I'm not interested" and hang up will do. A little patience and politeness makes the world a better place.

Quote Originally Posted by arctos View Post
    You know... those telemarketers are just trying to do their job (and a pretty hated one at that).

So just a polite "sorry I'm not interested" and hang up will do. A little patience and politeness makes the world a better place.
    Agreed. Respect its a two way thing though. Some industries (like time-share) have no limits. Same people, sometimes same companies under different name. You know, I would like to be respected while working or spending time with my family...

Quote Originally Posted by catchlights View Post

hen receive such calls, just say "thank you, I'm not interested".
    it won't spend you more than 15sec, and these people are just doing their job, be nice and everybody happy
    Listen to me, this is consider an invasion of privacy !

where got happy. i always receive those calls when i am sleeping. damn angry. due to job nature, my phone must always be on. i ever told a bank to flag my number and dont call again.. but yet they called.....i am very sensitive to noise, once i wake up by them, i can't fall alseep liao, then i whole day will be moody.

sometime in a meeting, they also call...

and dont ask me to respect them. they always call with private number, when i ask them for their number, they wont give. i want to call them at 3-4 am and see how they feel.

in some countries , these kind of stuff is very strict, the company will get into big trouble if they keep calling. this is like email spamming, you can get fine.

dunno about singapore.
    Last edited by ninelives; 15th July 2010 at 06:34 PM.
    Objection !!!

I do not pick up calls that are private. (most of these telemarketers / banks / insurance use private line)

I switch my phone to silent mode during work. If there is a need to return call , there is a voice mail. Most of my business partners / vendors / associates know my email , so that helps too. If it is urgent , there are other creative ways to contact me than my hp.

I have another hp line. These are private and given to family / close friends only .

it feels bad especially when u are using a pre-paid sim card

Usually, I'll just reply 'No Thanks..., in a meeting now' politely and hang up. Yes, they are just doing their job, no need to be hard on them unless they are rude and nasty.

Quote Originally Posted by NovJoe View Post
    Usually, I'll just reply 'No Thanks..., in a meeting now' politely and hang up. Yes, they are just doing their job, no need to be hard on them unless they are rude and nasty.
    they'll call you back

Quote Originally Posted by Virgo View Post
    Is there a way to stop these calls? I'm going nuts! Can receive 4-5 per day!
    Yours is considered a "hot" number!
    Congratulations!

For me, whenever I received one, i will put it next to the radio until he hang up. If it is one of the Chinese girls about me wining lottery, I talked "vulgar" to them. Seems to work well leh.
    always the Light, .... always.

Caller: Hi! good morning, i am calling from ******, and you have just been given a chance for a ......................................thats on our promotion now, would you be interested?

Me: Hi! thank you for calling, I am also having a promo for photography services ranging from products such as........................... Also, we can do....................... And......................., Imagine what you will be getting if you sign up with us................................................ .................................................. .....................
    and the amazing amount of worth our package will give to you............................................... ..Our products are............................................... ........................... let me break it down for you to show you the worth............................................. .................................................. .......................Would you be interested in signing up with us? Cos everytime you call back, we'll be waiting for you specially!

Caller:.................................*Hang up*

Quote Originally Posted by arctos View Post

whalau, you never kanna such calls before?
    When you said like sorry, i am not interested, they will try to make you interested with more stories la ....

if you feel sorry that these people are just trying to do their jobs, then I would suggest that you should let those robbers visit your house and clear all your belongings .... they are also doing their job (and a pretty hated one at that).

A little patience and politeness to these robbers would make the world a better place, if we are to believe your comment.
    always the Light, .... always.

When I get calls from XXX insurance/credit card company, I will say I'm from YYY company, currently we are having a promo for our cards,insurance package,when will be a convenient time to meet you and your family ? They usually just laugh, say no thanks and hang up...

Hehe... For those roadshow credit card, I just say i'm a bankruptcy case and keep walking... they would just stare at me blankly and look stunned.
    Just shoot.

What i do now : Just ask them politely which company they are from, and tell them if they still call, this matter would be lodged to the police for harrassment and the person on the phone will be the main culprit for failure to tell the company that you do not wished to be called for such promotion. tell them you're going to switch on speaker now, and record the conversation as proof and you'll repeat everything that was said of XXX(the caller) from XYY(company) should tell the colleagues and company to remove from the list and if such calls are made again, XXX from XYY company shall be liable for harrassment suit.

works for me
    Nikon D7000 : Tamron 17-50VC f2.8, SB-900
    Nikon D90 : Nikon 18-105 VR, SB-600

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast