Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Photography and colour blindness

Default Re: Photography and colour blindness

Quote Originally Posted by bigsmall2000 View Post
    I recently went for a medical check up and I found out that I might have red-green colour deficiency from the colour test, meaning I can't distinguish certain hues of red and green when they're close to each other. It's quite a blow to me especially since I'm into photography, the news is even more difficult to absorb.

I'm wondering if this is a common deficiency because supposedly 8% of males have it. I started to think of the possibility that what I see in my photos aren't exactly the same as what other people sees and it feels a little discomforting. Anyone out there with similar deficiency and how has it affected your photography?
    Hey TS, no worries.

Your case is merely Partial Colour Deficiency Syndrome, which is what I have too. We can't see shades of red and green mixed together, or close together. We can still deferentiate what is red and what is green colour. Don't worry, even people on wheelchair can play basketball, even people without a leg can dance salsa, whats our little drawback of being partial coloured blind?

You won't have any problem with photography, period. Enjoy capturing moments and not get too paranoid over such things. Cheers!

My friend is also colour blind, much in the same way as TS describes it.

But I tell you, she takes nice pics.

You might be colour-blind, but that don't mean you don't have an eye for a good picture.
    Sony Alpha system user. www.pbase.com/synapseman

hi,

i am also the 8%... but i can feel that i see better after doing all the pp work..

we may not be able to see the colours.. but if you have a colour chart, you might be able to compare the colours..

Quote Originally Posted by night86mare View Post
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/cfriel/

he's color blind.

he shoots better than many people who are not.

any limitations are in your mind.

you can choose to say "yes, this is not a deficiency, and i can live with it and do as well as anyone else.", or "no, i can't do it, it cripples me. everything that i can't do or have shortcomings in is attributed to this." life is about choices, after all.
    i agree with this... with paint like, unrealistic kind of photos... what's real color mean?

frankly... these photos hit me quite hard... i've been searching and changing for the sharpest lens for a while... but seriously... with all these photos, sharpness almost doesn't make sense anymore...

Most hobbyist photographers don't calibrate their screens or rely on color charts/cmyk/rgb values to be honest. What they see might not be what you see, vice versa.

I'm not colour blind yet small differences in skin tone (imagine adjusting tint in raw) of magenta and green can already be so subtle. I still have to rely to some extent on RGB values and CMYK values if i need to submit supposedly a "colour perfect" portrait.

Then again, if I shoot canon, I would prefer more magenta, if I shoot nikon, i'd prefer more green. If you work on a overly warm screen for a month or so, your mind would sooner or later make you feel it's just nice. The brain is just like that.

You see, it really isn't that important.

[QUOTE=night86mare;6305158]http://www.flickr.com/photos/cfriel/

he's color blind.

he shoots better than many people who are not.
    /QUOTE]

Amazing gallery , thxs for sharing.

To TS, I hv slight difficulty differentiating subtle colours tones as well, dun let it bother you.

Pursue the type of photography you like & enjoy it along the way. It is not really a handicap perhaps just a slight hindrance.

Either way, it will not dilute your satisfaction of taking photos

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12