Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 2567

Thread: Tripod queries..

Default Re: Tripod queries..

hi guys,

I'm looking for my very first tripod too and i'm on a budget as well. naturally i had to go deciding between Benro and Sirui.

based on the comments so far i'm looking for a set with at most 4 sections.

haven't yet got a chance to go down to take a personal look at these but anyone own any one of these and have any comments about their experience? I'm really amazed by the range of tripods even after narrowing down to two brands based on my budget and need help in differentiating the below in terms of functionality and quality.

Benro - A-200EX, A-250EX, A-300EX, + BH-0
    Sirui - T1004TX, R-1004, R-1005, + G-10
    Last edited by jreamer; 28th April 2011 at 06:59 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by jreamer
    hi guys,

I'm looking for my very first tripod too and i'm on a budget as well. naturally i had to go deciding between Benro and Sirui.

based on the comments so far i'm looking for a set with at most 4 sections.

haven't yet got a chance to go down to take a personal look at these but anyone own any one of these and have any comments about their experience? I'm really amazed by the range of tripods even after narrowing down to two brands based on my budget and need help in differentiating the below in terms of functionality and quality.

Benro - A-200EX, A-250EX, A-300EX, + BH-0
    Sirui - T1004TX, R-1004, R-1005, + G-10
    I dont have all these legs but I use to own a BH-1 head. One thing abt the BH series head is that it's all or nothing, no tension knob and no panning knob. If you lock the ball, you lock the panning as well, very inconvenient.

I personally recommend the Sirui T1004X...cos I'm using one with G10 ballhead :P

I find this tripod pretty light and also it's small enough to bring around easily (esp when reversed folded). This tripod imo is quite stable for night shots.

So far, haven't got any unpleasant experience with it.....Other than feeling abit jealous when see pple use Manfrotto 190XPROB with the kind of weird angles (those that can extend the middle column horizontally instead of vertically). But the Manfrotto 190XPROB is abt 3.x KG with the ballhead.... Sirui is 1.4kg...This weight factor alone is enough to drop the 190XPROB.

For testing of tripod(s), bring your camera with your heaviest setup (with grip, flash, heavy lens etc). Test to see if the ballhead creeps.....(creeps as in, you position the ballhead horizontal, then after mounting camera, the camera gets tilts downwards). If it creeps, means this ballhead is not enough to support your setup, so get the "upgraded" series, like G20 or K10/20 then test again.
    Too many great equipments but too little quality photos. [My Flickr] | [My Blog]

Quote Originally Posted by SkyStrike
    I personally recommend the Sirui T1004X...cos I'm using one with G10 ballhead :P

I find this tripod pretty light and also it's small enough to bring around easily (esp when reversed folded). This tripod imo is quite stable for night shots.

So far, haven't got any unpleasant experience with it.....Other than feeling abit jealous when see pple use Manfrotto 190XPROB with the kind of weird angles (those that can extend the middle column horizontally instead of vertically). But the Manfrotto 190XPROB is abt 3.x KG with the ballhead.... Sirui is 1.4kg...This weight factor alone is enough to drop the 190XPROB.

For testing of tripod(s), bring your camera with your heaviest setup (with grip, flash, heavy lens etc). Test to see if the ballhead creeps.....(creeps as in, you position the ballhead horizontal, then after mounting camera, the camera gets tilts downwards). If it creeps, means this ballhead is not enough to support your setup, so get the "upgraded" series, like G20 or K10/20 then test again.
    I just bought T1004x tripod too, with G20 head.

It's good and light. Tested it with 30secs exposure, no creep at all.

Ideal for traveling.

hey guys, thanks for the heads up on the two ball heads (benro BH series and sirui G series)

i suppose the benro BH-1 is like the single lever one here.

the G-10 seems to be a good choice from what i'm seeing here.

i guess i shld be looking for the dual action benro head and compare with sirui G-10.
    Last edited by jreamer; 28th April 2011 at 09:03 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by jreamer View Post
    i suppose the benro BH-1 is like the single lever one here.
    The single level one is BH-2, if you look the video:0:37s

oh ya...G10 have a level on the ballhead (BH-1 don't seem to have), you can see the level before you mount your camera on it...
    Last edited by SkyStrike; 28th April 2011 at 09:26 PM.
    Too many great equipments but too little quality photos. [My Flickr] | [My Blog]

Quote Originally Posted by jreamer View Post

i guess i shld be looking for the dual action benro head and compare with sirui G-10.
    Actually u should look at the sirui k10x instead. It is a newer model

Quote Originally Posted by watsup

K10x is $50-60 more than G10

Quote Originally Posted by watsup View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by donut88 View Post
    K10x is $50-60 more than G10
    Didn't realize it was such a significant difference.
    I think the K10 has a better implementation of the minimum tension setting though. More similar to Markins, Photoclam, etc.
    Exploring! :)

Just switched over from Manfrotto to Sirui. I like the arca-swiss compatible plates used in sirui.
    Even better the black rapid connector-T2 which I've been using with the manfrotto rc2 plate fits beautifully in the sirui plate.
    Dxxxx | 35/1.8 | 50/1.8 | Tokina 28-70 | Panny G1 | 14-45 | 25/1.7
    My Flickr

Quote Originally Posted by ZerocoolAstra

Didn't realize it was such a significant difference.
    I think the K10 has a better implementation of the minimum tension setting though. More similar to Markins, Photoclam, etc.
    If u got the budget, go for k10 then.

Depends on yr heaviest setup

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by donut88 View Post
    If u got the budget, go for k10 then.

Depends on yr heaviest setup
    Actually, if got the budget, go for photo clam or markins.

I using the Vandguard Tripod. Model: Alta 204AP. It can hold up to a 70-200mm, D700 with grip as claimed by the shop. So far, I got no issue with the tripod. It may not be the lightest one around as it is not carbonfibre but it also not that heavy too.
    Nikon D3s/D3000 / 70-200VR II F2.8 / 24-70 F2.8 / 70-300VR F4.5-5.6 / 18-55 F3.5-5.6 / SB-600 & 900

Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 2567