Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast
Results 81 to 100 of 133

Thread: Tripod queries..

  1. #81
    Senior Member edutilos-'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    The Universe
    Posts
    5,991

    Default Re: Tripod queries..

    Quote Originally Posted by Shengfang View Post
    Hihi,
    I read in the basic guidelines for tripods & a few other threads on tripod selection.
    Came across this Sirui brand & checked out the products, it seems they only have tripods with sections 4 to 6.

    I thought this would mean weaker legs ? Do you face problems with stability ?
    I don't really see that much difference between 4 section to 5 section. Of course there is still a difference, but it's minimal. It depends on your priorities - stability? Or folded size?

    Beyond number of sections, engineering, materials and design plays a huge part. You can have a plastic tripod that's 2 section but is still mighty unstable.

    The Sirui 4 and 5-section tripods are fine for most uses. They are not Gitzos, but they'll do for more than 90% of Singaporean photographers (who tend to mollycoddle their gear, that's a fact), and they're great value for money.

  2. #82

    Default Re: Tripod queries..

    the more sections on a tripod leg, the weaker it becomes (less load). This is because the joints will be weaker than the rods. On the other hand more sections means each rod can be shorter and thus your tripod will be more compact.

    It is a compromise, either you want a small tripod or a steady one. I have the Gitzo 1541T and Manfrotto 055CX3... one for travel one for serious work; not to say that the Gitzo is not stable but the Manfrotto is much more solid when it comes to stability.
    Fujifilm X-Pro2 Graphite, X-Pro1
    XF 14/2.8, 18/2, 23/2, 35/1.4, 56/1.2, 60/2.4, 55-200/3.5-4.8

  3. #83

    Default Re: Tripod queries..

    Okay thanks for the answers.
    I feel more comfortable with a 3-section tripod.

    Actually I was interested to get the Espod Plus 203AB was doing a search on it that's why stumbled upon this thread. Was keen on Manfrotto 190XB with 484RC2 or 486RC2 but seems it would be around SGD280.

    Like TS mentioned, I too found it strange that most CSer are not keen on Vanguard. However, BENRO would be a bit ex too ? Didn't see price guide on the C3770Tso would be glad if someone could advise.

  4. #84

    Default Re: Tripod queries..

    i got a Vanguard pro alta 263 with a ball head from SLRR at $280... not bad. quite stable. and it's good for macro too

  5. #85

    Default Re: Tripod queries..

    Quote Originally Posted by kei1309 View Post
    i got a Vanguard pro alta 263 with a ball head from SLRR at $280... not bad. quite stable. and it's good for macro too
    Is that the one that has the tiltable arm like the manfrotto xprob series?

  6. #86
    Moderator daredevil123's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    lil red dot
    Posts
    21,627
    Blog Entries
    1

    Default Re: Tripod queries..

    i've tried both the aluminium and CF vanguard alta pro series tripods. I find the CF version to be very unstable. Aluminium version is slightly better than the CF version, but it is not as stable as the Manfrotto 190xprob, especially when you do the 2 finger tap test.

    And Vanguard is not a UK company. Some smart digging by some folks revealed they are a company founded and based in Shenzhen China. They are very smart in that they started marketing all their stuff (bags and tripods) in Europe and USA first. They even refused to sell their products in China itself.

    But after trying their tripods, I would place the quality of their tripods under Sirui and Benro (TIPA winner or not). Their bags are ok though. Then again, these are my personal opinions.
    Last edited by daredevil123; 9th March 2011 at 01:43 PM.

  7. #87

    Default Re: Tripod queries..

    Quote Originally Posted by spree86 View Post
    Is that the one that has the tiltable arm like the manfrotto xprob series?
    yup..

    Quote Originally Posted by daredevil123 View Post
    i've tried both the aluminium and CF vanguard alta pro series tripods. I find the CF version to be very unstable. Aluminium version is slightly better than the CF version, but it is not as stable as the Manfrotto 190xprob, especially when you do the 2 finger tap test.

    And Vanguard is not a UK company. Some smart digging by some folks revealed they are a company founded and based in Shenzhen China. They are very smart in that they started marketing all their stuff (bags and tripods) in Europe and USA first. They even refused to sell their products in China itself.

    But after trying their tripods, I would place the quality of their tripods under Sirui and Benro (TIPA winner or not). Their bags are ok though. Then again, these are my personal opinions.
    not having any problems so far with it xD

  8. #88
    Moderator daredevil123's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    lil red dot
    Posts
    21,627
    Blog Entries
    1

    Default Re: Tripod queries..

    Quote Originally Posted by kei1309 View Post
    not having any problems so far with it xD
    You are using the aluminium one right? That one is much better than the CF one. The CF one, with the tripod set up, I can flex the legs easily by twisting it sideways... Jell-o legs. Terrible. And price-wise the CF one is around $500. Spend slightly more, the Gitzo basalt explorer is a much better buy.
    Last edited by daredevil123; 9th March 2011 at 05:53 PM.

  9. #89

    Default Re: Tripod queries..

    Quote Originally Posted by kei1309 View Post
    i got a Vanguard pro alta 263 with a ball head from SLRR at $280... not bad. quite stable. and it's good for macro too
    I queried today the Manfrotto 190XPROB+484RC2 = 294 isn't it more worth it?
    But I don't know if they really had stock for 484RC2 because another shop I called told me no more 484 ?


    Yikes so sounds like Vanguard is kinda dodgy..

  10. #90
    Moderator daredevil123's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    lil red dot
    Posts
    21,627
    Blog Entries
    1

    Default Re: Tripod queries..

    Quote Originally Posted by Shengfang View Post
    I queried today the Manfrotto 190XPROB+484RC2 = 294 isn't it more worth it?
    But I don't know if they really had stock for 484RC2 because another shop I called told me no more 484 ?
    Manfrotto 484rc2 has been replaced with the much better 494rc2. About the same price, and it nows comes with an additional friction knob. But this ball head is very small for the Manfrotto 190xprob. And it's load capacity is very limited. I had both the new and old versions at one point in time, and I was using it for a very very light travel tripod setup (matched to a small light sirui).

    The 486rc2 (new version 496rc2) is a better match for the 190xprob. The 488rc2 (new version 498rc2) is the best and will blow the other two ballheads out of the water. I had the 488rc2 + 190xprob and it was a very very good combo for landscape and followed me for 2 years. I have since moved on to other tripod and ballhead setups.

    BTW, the new versions, 49x series ballheads all come with the new additional friction control knob.
    Last edited by daredevil123; 9th March 2011 at 11:50 PM.

  11. #91

    Default Re: Tripod queries..

    Quote Originally Posted by daredevil123 View Post
    You are using the aluminium one right? That one is much better than the CF one. The CF one, with the tripod set up, I can flex the legs easily by twisting it sideways... Jell-o legs. Terrible. And price-wise the CF one is around $500. Spend slightly more, the Gitzo basalt explorer is a much better buy.
    yup the aluminium one. also because it can take up to 7kg on the legs, and the ballhead 10kg... so a total of 17kg!..

    ok kidding. hahaha.. not gonna mislead anyone here..

  12. #92

    Default Re: Tripod queries..

    Thanks a bunch for your explanation, it is very good now I know the difference between the 48X and 49X! But the 49X look like they don't rotate like a shoulder joint but more like a front-back thingy ?

    Quote Originally Posted by daredevil123 View Post
    Manfrotto 484rc2 has been replaced with the much better 494rc2. About the same price, and it nows comes with an additional friction knob. But this ball head is very small for the Manfrotto 190xprob. And it's load capacity is very limited. I had both the new and old versions at one point in time, and I was using it for a very very light travel tripod setup (matched to a small light sirui).

    The 486rc2 (new version 496rc2) is a better match for the 190xprob. The 488rc2 (new version 498rc2) is the best and will blow the other two ballheads out of the water. I had the 488rc2 + 190xprob and it was a very very good combo for landscape and followed me for 2 years. I have since moved on to other tripod and ballhead setups.

    BTW, the new versions, 49x series ballheads all come with the new additional friction control knob.

  13. #93
    Member
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    East
    Posts
    800

    Default Re: Tripod queries..

    For DSLR with of 300mm f2.8 lenses or longer w total weight of 6kg or more, use an aluminium tripod with a soldi ballhead for maximum stability. This combo is heavy usually 2kg+ but you will get your shot. CF ones are lighter but the solid ones are almost just as heavy and they are expensive.

    If it just a normal DSLR, then a Sirui aluminium one + ball head will give best value - well-made and stable for the price. If you need lighter weight, then go for their CF series, which are also very good value. $150 budget is about right for aluminium and $250 - $300 for Carbon fibre (CF) including heads.

    Lighter, cheaper tripods are not stable. You will probably end up replacing them with more stable and costl ones eventually.

    I use a 1st gen Gitzo CF and a Sirui CF with either a Really Right Stuff Ball (which is about the same price as Markin) and an old Benbo (UK) ball heads. Before the Gitzo CF, I was using a Gitzo aluminium, heavy but very stable even with 8kg of equipment (400f2.8 + pro body). I also had a very light but not very stable Slik CF which I sold off quickly.

    The most often used is the Sirui - compact, light, stable enough for GF/GH with old 300mmf4 lenses. This is also stable enough for macro shots due to both tripod and the head which locks real tight. For critical macro or heavier lenses, the Gitzo is still better.

    My suggestion for DSLRs for macro shots - Sirui with their ball heads. Both aluminium and CF ones are very good for the price.

  14. #94
    Moderator daredevil123's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    lil red dot
    Posts
    21,627
    Blog Entries
    1

    Default Re: Tripod queries..

    Quote Originally Posted by Shengfang View Post
    Thanks a bunch for your explanation, it is very good now I know the difference between the 48X and 49X! But the 49X look like they don't rotate like a shoulder joint but more like a front-back thingy ?
    the 49x series do rotate like a shoulder joint just like the 48x series.

  15. #95

    Default Re: Tripod queries..

    thanks.. i got the 190xprob + 496rc2 in the end~ =D
    it's a bit heavy & i was a bit disappointed it couldn't reverse the centre column..

  16. #96
    Moderator daredevil123's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    lil red dot
    Posts
    21,627
    Blog Entries
    1

    Default Re: Tripod queries..

    Quote Originally Posted by Shengfang View Post
    thanks.. i got the 190xprob + 496rc2 in the end~ =D
    it's a bit heavy & i was a bit disappointed it couldn't reverse the centre column..
    Good choice. You will find that the added weight actually adds a lot of stability to your setup. If you talk to people overseas, like USA or UK, they actually think the 190xprob + manfrotto heads is a very light combination. I think nowadays we are all spoiled for choices. Tripod setups in the recent past are a lot heavier.

    And you do not really need to reverse the centre column, simply because you can do a horizontal arm, and the legs can go very very wide for a very low angle.

  17. #97

    Default Re: Tripod queries..

    they are bigger & fatter o_O
    2kg is ALOT lor.. but stability more impt i just need to do my best to lug it around..

    yeah i did think of compensating with the horizontal arm.. thanks for the advice !
    can't wait to test it out !

  18. #98

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Shengfang
    thanks.. i got the 190xprob + 496rc2 in the end~ =D
    it's a bit heavy & i was a bit disappointed it couldn't reverse the centre column..
    Hi, reverse as in invert the centre column upside down?

    My 055xprob can invert...I jst tried tis morning.

  19. #99
    Moderator daredevil123's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    lil red dot
    Posts
    21,627
    Blog Entries
    1

    Default Re: Tripod queries..

    Quote Originally Posted by kingpin8 View Post
    Hi, reverse as in invert the centre column upside down?

    My 055xprob can invert...I jst tried tis morning.
    Can it? If 055xprob can do it, it means 190xprob can do it too. I never tried it though. I would try it now if I still have it but I sold it last month.

  20. #100

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by daredevil123

    Can it? If 055xprob can do it, it means 190xprob can do it too. I never tried it though. I would try it now if I still have it but I sold it last month.
    Yes it can

    upgraded to?

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •