Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Tripod queries..

Blog Entries

Default Re: Tripod queries..

Quote Originally Posted by VainKid View Post
    bro did u just eat a humble pie?
    eh??

dude, did you know what it means "to eat a humble pie"?

Quote Originally Posted by Lucrezia View Post
    Went down to Funan yesterday in the evening, too bad i only pay a trip down to SLR Revolution.

Checked out 2 tripods
    1) Benro 714B @ 165
    This one not that bad, but kinda heavy..

2) Vanguard Espod Plus + 233AP ballhead - 150+
    This one looks the best! Like it a lot! But maximum weight can take is 2kg :/

3) SLIK SH705E + 340E ballhead = 140+
    unheard of, but when i try it out, seems not bad, and its light too.
    I was checking out the Vanguards too, but think you got the models confused or something.

The 233AP is Vanguard's combination of their Alta+ tripod leg with their PH-22 3 way-panhead. If it was a ballhead, it would be the 233AB, but have not seen that model in Singapore.

The Vanguard Espod with ballhead could have been the 203AB.

So which one did you see at $150+?

Quote Originally Posted by daredevil123 View Post
    eh??

dude, did you know what it means "to eat a humble pie"?
    You were so humble saying u are poor la... That's why I just assume u ate a humble pie awhile ago
    D90-MB80|N18-105|N50 1.8|T180 M.|GT1541T|Q3T|Up48|SB900|
    BBB Virus will Devour your Soul.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by VainKid View Post
    You were so humble saying u are poor la... That's why I just assume u ate a humble pie awhile ago
    Humble pie
    From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
    To eat humble pie, in common usage, is to apologize and face humiliation for a serious error.

If Vangaurd, will suggest Alta Pro series. I used that before I change to Gitzo Explorer. It very useful for macro.

Better then Manfrotto 190Xprob? yes, due to the flexibility.
    Life is like Photography, to improve, you have to keep shooting!

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by egnaro View Post
    If Vangaurd, will suggest Alta Pro series. I used that before I change to Gitzo Explorer. It very useful for macro.

But do know that Alta Pro series are quite heavy. The flagship CF version (284CT) is only 100g lighter than the aluminium 190xprob.

Humble pie
    From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
    To eat humble pie, in common usage, is to apologize and face humiliation for a serious error.
    My bad dude...
    D90-MB80|N18-105|N50 1.8|T180 M.|GT1541T|Q3T|Up48|SB900|
    BBB Virus will Devour your Soul.

Quote Originally Posted by kriegsketten View Post
    Hey Lucrezia,

I think the choice of tripod is a bit secondary compared to the Ballhead issue. Do look at Markins (head to TK photo) and Photo Clam (at SLR). Both one stop at Funan.

Markins is the older kit in the block and has a very good market reputation.

Whereas PC is pretty new (2007) and has built up a solid reputation over the years (go read the net), but PC has a greater range of ball sizes to choose from over Markins' 3. Price wise, PC is lower.

One more thing, Markins will need oiling on the balls (says the internet), whereas PCs don't (they use a different tech). Seniors do help to correct me on this.

Both are Korean brands (competitors) and are top notch in overall quality.

Tripods would be the least of your worries, without a good ball head - there goes your fantastic landscapes and long exposure shots...
    Hmm noted! Thanks man!

Quote Originally Posted by watchthewaves View Post
    I was checking out the Vanguards too, but think you got the models confused or something.

The 233AP is Vanguard's combination of their Alta+ tripod leg with their PH-22 3 way-panhead. If it was a ballhead, it would be the 233AB, but have not seen that model in Singapore.

The Vanguard Espod with ballhead could have been the 203AB.

So which one did you see at $150+?
    Hmm i need to double check, cos i saw Espod Plus + 233AP @ 150+

Alta Pro?! Ok will take a look!

Can i check with you guys, Manfrotto 190XPROB @ 208, cheap? Got it from Parasilk

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Lucrezia View Post
    Can i check with you guys, Manfrotto 190XPROB @ 208, cheap? Got it from Parasilk
    Cathay photo having a promotion on 190xprob for 183. And if you buy it, can buy the 496rc2 for 92. Let me know if you want to get the tripod but not the head. I want to get the 496rc2.

http://www.cathayphoto.com.sg/offers...rob-pro-tripod

Cathay photo having a promotion on 190xprob for 183. And if you buy it, can buy the 496rc2 for 92. Let me know if you want to get the tripod but not the head. I want to get the 496rc2.

hohoho! Oh let the BBB virus invasion begin! Good price!
    Myflickr | Zoom in for the KILL!

hahaha! but i need to feel it man.. i need both lol! Just buy it the combo and sell lah

But do know that Alta Pro series are quite heavy. The flagship CF version (284CT) is only 100g lighter than the aluminium 190xprob.
    ya I know... but it is more flexible then 190XproB I own both 190XproB and Alta Pro flagship CF 284CT tripod before.

However, I think if Macro setup, it is not light anyway. definitely lighter then gitzo Explorer alu version ( I mean 2220).

I am now using Gitzo 2540EX due to weight and quality actually.

Blog Entries

ya I know... but it is more flexible then 190XproB I own both 190XproB and Alta Pro flagship CF 284CT tripod before.

However, I think if Macro setup, it is not light anyway. definitely lighter then gitzo Explorer alu version ( I mean 2220).

I am now using Gitzo 2540EX due to weight and quality actually.
    Yup. 190xprob cannot do all the angles in between horizontal and vertical.

Macro shooters find it essential. For non macro shooters this becomes a smaller issue. Really depends on needs and intended use.

Yup. 190xprob cannot do all the angles in between horizontal and vertical.

Macro shooters find it essential. For non macro shooters this becomes a smaller issue. Really depends on needs and intended use.
    true... non macro shooter have more lighter solution.

Realise that a lot of weight is actually take up by the flexible section.

So if TS not into Macro or just casual macro, then maybe Manfrotto 190XproB is fine.

Otherwise go for a normal tripod will do, Sirui is pretty good due to the light weight and suitable for traveling.

hmm i see.. Im not into macro at the moment.. Haha let me check out Sirui this weekend
    *excited

I just bought a manfrotto 190! i think its really really good! Solid tripod, although a 498 ball head would be much better.. well, the main reason i got it is because it was at a good price! Looking at the classifieds, the resale value of the manfrotto is not bad too, so in future, if you're upgrading, i don't think you'll lose much.. It is a tad heavy, but with the right kind of bad to hold it, it really isn't much. The strap which is given during the promotion is pretty nice and comfortable and takes off some weight from the shoulders.
    I did look at benro's and all, but I guess, manfrotto being italian and all with 5 years warranty, the additional $100 I feel is well worth it! I never did look at the sirui's though.. and don't want to now.. hahaa.. i don't want to regret! =P
    Canon 550D | Tamron 18-270mm f/3.5-6.3 | EF 24-105mm f/4.0 L USM | EF 70-200mm f/4.0 L USM

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by MerrillChia View Post
    I just bought a manfrotto 190! i think its really really good! Solid tripod, although a 498 ball head would be much better.. well, the main reason i got it is because it was at a good price! Looking at the classifieds, the resale value of the manfrotto is not bad too, so in future, if you're upgrading, i don't think you'll lose much.. It is a tad heavy, but with the right kind of bad to hold it, it really isn't much. The strap which is given during the promotion is pretty nice and comfortable and takes off some weight from the shoulders.
    I did look at benro's and all, but I guess, manfrotto being italian and all with 5 years warranty, the additional $100 I feel is well worth it! I never did look at the sirui's though.. and don't want to now.. hahaa.. i don't want to regret! =P
    Enjoy your tripod. It is a good one.

FYI, Sirui also comes with 6 year warranty. And the tripods are very stable. They call Sirui the mini Gitzos in some places. BTW, the higher end Sirui tripods are not cheap either. But comparing to some options out there and in terms of performance, it is very high value.

They call Sirui the mini Gitzos in some places. BTW, the higher end Sirui tripods are not cheap either. But comparing to some options out there and in terms of performance, it is very high value.
    *** Really value for $$.
    Last edited by jsprtan; 16th July 2010 at 06:02 PM. Reason: Wrong Info

Hihi,
    I read in the basic guidelines for tripods & a few other threads on tripod selection.
    Came across this Sirui brand & checked out the products, it seems they only have tripods with sections 4 to 6.

I thought this would mean weaker legs ? Do you face problems with stability ?

Quote Originally Posted by Shengfang View Post
    Hihi,
    I read in the basic guidelines for tripods & a few other threads on tripod selection.
    Came across this Sirui brand & checked out the products, it seems they only have tripods with sections 4 to 6.

I thought this would mean weaker legs ? Do you face problems with stability ?
    Its a compromise between size (compactness) and stability. I havent seen a 6 section tripod before, but my guess is that the last section would be too thin and weak for DSLRs, maybe for P&S still ok. Personally I try not to go above 4 section

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast