Results 1 to 10 of 10

Thread: Which Filters should buy

  1. #1

    Default Which Filters should buy

    Hi guys, I am considering buying some ND and GND filters and perhaps a CPL as well for landscaping purpose. I need some guidance on how many pieces of what strength and size I should buy. I hope to get a set of filter that would allow me to handle most sunset and sunrise situation.

    I am using D300 and some of the lens i have are tokina 11-16 f2.8 filter size 77mm, tamron 17-50 f2.8 filter size 72mm, 35 f1.8 and 50 f1.4 filter size 52mm.

  2. #2
    Moderator Octarine's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Pasir Ris
    Posts
    12,394

    Default Re: Which Filters should buy

    You should buy what you need. How much time have you spent on own research?
    EOS

  3. #3

    Default Re: Which Filters should buy

    got your pm, reply you here.

    if you have the money, this is all that you will need if you are serious in landscape photography:

    1) gnd 2 stops, 3 stops - most of the time you will be shooting at base iso, so DR will be maximal, don't think you need anything more, rest can solve easily with digital layering, etc. unless you like shooting into sun when it is still up in the sky right before sunset, then maybe a 4 stop will be required.

    2) nd8 is possibly useful, nd106 and nd110 if you have a passion for long exposures, otherwise can skip.

    3) CPL is useful if you are planning to shoot landscapes. by landscapes i am talking about mountains with flowers in foreground, etc. CPL will help reduce the glare and saturate the colours nicely. do note that when you use CPL try to avoid using it with UWA with the sky in the picture, uneven polarisation (google if you don't know what this is) is an issue.

    everything else, you can replicate in photoshop.

    we all have limited budgets, if i had money i'd be getting a whole set of singh ray gnd filters + reverse gnd filters + nd filters. so work with what you wish to spend.

    right now all the filters i have:

    1) tianya gnd (roughly 3 stop, i think)
    2) cokin UWA filter holder + 77mm ring - you have 11-16mm, if you plan to go p series route, you should get this
    3) ND110 B+W

  4. #4

    Default Re: Which Filters should buy

    Quote Originally Posted by night86mare View Post
    got your pm, reply you here.

    if you have the money, this is all that you will need if you are serious in landscape photography:

    1) gnd 2 stops, 3 stops - most of the time you will be shooting at base iso, so DR will be maximal, don't think you need anything more, rest can solve easily with digital layering, etc. unless you like shooting into sun when it is still up in the sky right before sunset, then maybe a 4 stop will be required.

    2) nd8 is possibly useful, nd106 and nd110 if you have a passion for long exposures, otherwise can skip.

    3) CPL is useful if you are planning to shoot landscapes. by landscapes i am talking about mountains with flowers in foreground, etc. CPL will help reduce the glare and saturate the colours nicely. do note that when you use CPL try to avoid using it with UWA with the sky in the picture, uneven polarisation (google if you don't know what this is) is an issue.

    everything else, you can replicate in photoshop.

    we all have limited budgets, if i had money i'd be getting a whole set of singh ray gnd filters + reverse gnd filters + nd filters. so work with what you wish to spend.

    right now all the filters i have:

    1) tianya gnd (roughly 3 stop, i think)
    2) cokin UWA filter holder + 77mm ring - you have 11-16mm, if you plan to go p series route, you should get this
    3) ND110 B+W
    I have been holding off getting CPL as most of the time I am using the UWA for landscaping... so in your opinion you wont get CPL for UWA?

    A question regarding Tianya and cokin... do you recommend getting them? I went with my friend for a sunset shoot... he is using cokin.. i see that the filter is not true neutral. There is a yellowish cast. If you stack... the situation becomes alot worst....

  5. #5

    Default Re: Which Filters should buy

    i do not have CPL for UWA

    mainly because i did not have the fortune of being able to see the UK in summer season extensively beyond london, limited funds.

    if you do, and you manage to travel around peak district, etc, where the flowers are in bloom, you might find it useful.

    tianya and cokin are not neutral, but it is called boh pian. i can't afford singh ray, lee or hi-tech, so tianya and cokin is what i use.

    if you have more budget, and you find the high price of all the three brands i have mentioned justifiable to purchase, then go ahead, use them, they will be better, but you are after all, paying an exponential price for quality. i don't find any issue with a slight change in colors, since can shoot in raw and adjust.

    i do agree that the yellow cast of cokin is hard to edit away, which is why i prefer tianya over cokin.

  6. #6

    Default Re: Which Filters should buy

    Quote Originally Posted by Octarine View Post
    You should buy what you need. How much time have you spent on own research?
    How do I know what I need when I never play with them before? This is why I am hoping to draw from others experience before making my own decision.

    I am not keen to buy tonnes of filter which in most case would not be used.
    I just want to buy the filter that will handle 80% of the situation.

  7. #7

    Default Re: Which Filters should buy

    BTW... is the P holder wide enough or do I need wider ones for my 11-16?

    Quote Originally Posted by night86mare View Post
    i do not have CPL for UWA

    mainly because i did not have the fortune of being able to see the UK in summer season extensively beyond london, limited funds.

    if you do, and you manage to travel around peak district, etc, where the flowers are in bloom, you might find it useful.

    tianya and cokin are not neutral, but it is called boh pian. i can't afford singh ray, lee or hi-tech, so tianya and cokin is what i use.

    if you have more budget, and you find the high price of all the three brands i have mentioned justifiable to purchase, then go ahead, use them, they will be better, but you are after all, paying an exponential price for quality. i don't find any issue with a slight change in colors, since can shoot in raw and adjust.

    i do agree that the yellow cast of cokin is hard to edit away, which is why i prefer tianya over cokin.

  8. #8
    Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Eastern Singapore
    Posts
    123

    Default Re: Which Filters should buy

    Very few people into the Genus ND fader ... My next target, if I can find one ... maybe at Cathay.

  9. #9
    Senior Member shierwin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    East Coast
    Posts
    3,336

    Default Re: Which Filters should buy

    Dear TS. This article explain all the questions you raised.

    http://www.cambridgeincolour.com/tut...ns-filters.htm

  10. #10
    Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Singapore, Singapore, Singapor
    Posts
    792

    Default Re: Which Filters should buy

    Quote Originally Posted by shierwin View Post
    Dear TS. This article explain all the questions you raised.

    http://www.cambridgeincolour.com/tut...ns-filters.htm
    good link
    M10|M6 Millenium|50mm f1 e58|35 f1.4 FLE|35mm f2 V1 germany|15mm V f4.5 VIII|50mm Zeiss f2

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •