Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Results 41 to 60 of 65

Thread: Do you agree that "crazily acquiring gears" is part of growing up?

  1. #41

    Default Re: Do you agree that "crazily acquiring gears" is part of growing up?

    It is ok to acquire diff gears, esp lenses, mainly to explore the possible photographic styles they can achieve. It is fun, which hobby is all about - to have fun.
    With the B&S section in CS, we are given a cheaper alternative to explore diff gears at a much much lower price than from retail.

    However, as we grow in photography, most of us will realise our main interest, be it landscape, photo-journalism or marco. By then, I would think that our arsenal will be much limited to what we photograph. Any not used lenses or accessories will be sold off.

  2. #42

    Default Re: Do you agree that "crazily acquiring gears" is part of growing up?

    Quote Originally Posted by woeilee View Post
    It is ok to acquire diff gears, esp lenses, mainly to explore the possible photographic styles they can achieve. It is fun, which hobby is all about - to have fun.
    With the B&S section in CS, we are given a cheaper alternative to explore diff gears at a much much lower price than from retail.

    However, as we grow in photography, most of us will realise our main interest, be it landscape, photo-journalism or marco. By then, I would think that our arsenal will be much limited to what we photograph. Any not used lenses or accessories will be sold off.
    YES cant agree more. Countries need to restructure, companies need to streamline their operations. Our dry cabinets are no different.

  3. #43
    Senior Member sinned79's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    10,850

    Default Re: Do you agree that "crazily acquiring gears" is part of growing up?

    just a simple tot for everyone.

    if someone can tells me a positive reply to this, i had nothing else to say in this thread

    Qns: "Does anyone who is serious about photography uses kit lens for the rest of his life without having buying a new lens?"

    Note: Even PnS users from time to time changes from one PnS to another PnS!

  4. #44

    Default Re: Do you agree that "crazily acquiring gears" is part of growing up?

    Quote Originally Posted by sinned79 View Post
    i guess u are referring to those equipments in those signatures.

    well pardon me but u sound shallow and narrow minded.

    does showing these equipments means we are showing off?

    think along the line. new birds like me put that up so those more experienced/pros will know what equipment we are using, so when we post up our photos, we need not tell ppl what equipments we are using, comes to 'debugging' issues, its very clear.

    to add:
    for example, a newbie who just started using 5DMKII may post threads like, "Can i use EFS lens?", one look from the signature can tell this is not possible so no need to waste tell to ask the TS what cam are you using?

    just like hardwarezone forum, they also allows users to list their pc specifications.

    is this show off?

    depends how you thinks. You may think this is show off, but to others, it may not be. Although I may agree, some here might just be showing off but that may not be all the case.
    why so defensive ?

    your 'theory' is not sound. judging from your equipment list, if u show a wide angle shot at 35mm, pple will still ask what lens u using as there are overlapping lenses. also, why can't the pic be taken by a lens that is borrowed ? why can't u think out of your box ?

  5. #45

    Default Re: Do you agree that "crazily acquiring gears" is part of growing up?

    Quote Originally Posted by sinned79 View Post
    just a simple tot for everyone.

    if someone can tells me a positive reply to this, i had nothing else to say in this thread

    Qns: "Does anyone who is serious about photography uses kit lens for the rest of his life without having buying a new lens?"

    Note: Even PnS users from time to time changes from one PnS to another PnS!
    I have read that there are such folks around especially in poorer third world countries like Bangladesh who still own and shoot with a single lens. and their images can beat the hell out of many pple here with 'long list'

  6. #46
    Senior Member sinned79's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    10,850

    Default Re: Do you agree that "crazily acquiring gears" is part of growing up?

    Quote Originally Posted by litechaser View Post
    why so defensive ?

    your 'theory' is not sound. judging from your equipment list, if u show a wide angle shot at 35mm, pple will still ask what lens u using as there are overlapping lenses. also, why can't the pic be taken by a lens that is borrowed ? why can't u think out of your box ?
    i am not being defensive here. just stating my views.

    actually your argument is not sound too. cos if someone is experienced or pro, EXIF data shows the lens use. But the lesser experience but still more experience then the newbies will still ask.

    since u ask me think out of the box, so have you? Why it only comes to your mind that these people are showing off and you are laughing at these people? Why your out of the box only give you this reason and not others? I am definitely more out of the box then you since I can come out with this theory to counter what u said

    To me, now u are more defensive then me since you tries to prove me wrong by giving examples. How many percent chances i will borrow lens from others when i already got a long list as u mention in the next post. I think your explaination is far worst then mine (which sounds more like giving excuses).
    Last edited by sinned79; 14th July 2010 at 12:58 PM.

  7. #47
    Senior Member sinned79's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    10,850

    Default Re: Do you agree that "crazily acquiring gears" is part of growing up?

    Quote Originally Posted by litechaser View Post
    I have read that there are such folks around especially in poorer third world countries like Bangladesh who still own and shoot with a single lens. and their images can beat the hell out of many pple here with 'long list'
    like you say, they are third world poorer country. I dun expect them to buy equipments like we do dun you think so? Cos if they have the $$$ i believe they will also buy equipments like anyone will do in this world.

    and FYI, i think third world country doesn't consists the large part of this globe. And the percentage of them buying a camera over worrying over food is higher.

    so your arguement here is not "sounds" as well.

    Last edited by sinned79; 14th July 2010 at 01:03 PM.

  8. #48

    Default Re: Do you agree that "crazily acquiring gears" is part of growing up?

    Quote Originally Posted by sinned79 View Post
    like you say, they are third world poorer country. I dun expect them to buy equipments like we do dun you think so?

    and FYI, i think third world country doesn't consists the large part of this globe. And the percentage of them buying a camera over worrying over food is higher.

    so your arguement here is not valid as well.

    I quote u : "if someone can tells me a positive reply to this, i had nothing else to say in this thread"

    i had given u a valid response . why are u still talking ?

    are u sure 3rd world countries do not consist of a large part of this globe ? pls do ur research instead of talking crap

  9. #49
    Senior Member sinned79's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    10,850

    Default Re: Do you agree that "crazily acquiring gears" is part of growing up?

    Quote Originally Posted by litechaser View Post
    I quote u : "if someone can tells me a positive reply to this, i had nothing else to say in this thread"

    i had given u a valid response . why are u still talking ?

    are u sure 3rd world countries do not consist of a large part of this globe ? pls do ur research instead of talking crap
    u sure u are giving a valid response?

    how can u compare buying patterns with a third world country and non third world country like SG?



    Besides since u mentioned 3rd world country already, how many can actually owns a DSLR?

    You know what i am asking in the first place?

    I am asking how many in this world will be stuck with a kit lens for the rest of their lifes.

    Just proof me wrong that you are and now u are still using a kit lens (without buying any lens!)
    Last edited by sinned79; 14th July 2010 at 01:11 PM.

  10. #50
    Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    1,078

    Default Re: Do you agree that "crazily acquiring gears" is part of growing up?

    providing some input here. Buy equipment and photography should not be put together. Photography in a way should be getting the shot with the gear you have.

    If you doun have the gear, can do 2 things
    1) learn to work with what you have
    2) eat air and save to get better gear.

    if we talk about landscape, can a person take the same wide angle shot with a kit lens on a crop cam compared with a FF cam and a 16mm lens? Simple answer is no if all other facts are the same.

    If we talk about birding and macro, it would be the same.

    It is the learning to bring the best out of the current gear that is fun to some.
    Buy more gear is just a enjoyment or needs of work, nothing to do with photography or skill.
    Member of the earth

  11. #51

    Default Re: Do you agree that "crazily acquiring gears" is part of growing up?

    Quote Originally Posted by sinned79 View Post
    u sure u are giving a valid response?

    how can u compare buying patterns with a third world country and non third world country like SG?



    Besides since u mentioned 3rd world country already, how many can actually owns a DSLR?

    You know what i am asking in the first place?

    I am asking how many in this world will be stuck with a kit lens for the rest of their lifes.

    Just proof me wrong that you are and now u are still using a kit lens (without buying any lens!)

    I quote u again as u seem to be selectively forgetful :

    Qns: "Does anyone who is serious about photography uses kit lens for the rest of his life without having buying a new lens?"

    did your qn did not differentiate betwn 1st world or 3rd world ? just answer this qn and cut out all yr crap and shut yr trap .

  12. #52
    Senior Member sinned79's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    10,850

    Default Re: Do you agree that "crazily acquiring gears" is part of growing up?

    Quote Originally Posted by litechaser View Post
    I quote u again as u seem to be selectively forgetful :

    Qns: "Does anyone who is serious about photography uses kit lens for the rest of his life without having buying a new lens?"

    did your qn did not differentiate betwn 1st world or 3rd world ? just answer this qn and cut out all yr crap and shut yr trap .
    before u ask me to shut my trap (so defensive of u!)

    Let me ask u a simple common sense question then.

    YES i did not state 1st world or 3rd world.

    But common sense tells you, if u have the $$$, would you not be buying lens later on? So common sense tells u third world country=no $$$=no chance to buy lens even if they want to so they leave with want they have (then this dun fall under by question citeria since its not that THEY DUN WANT BUT THEY CANNOT AFFORD), get the drift?

    So what's wrong with me saying u are comparing third world vs first world? Its the circumstances that they cannot upgrade wat! Not that they choose to leave with what they have.

    And you haven even answer my question:

    Just proof me wrong that you are and now u still using a kit lens (without buying any lens!) since the date u join clubsnap. If you can convinced me that during these 6 years u are still using kit lens and haven not buy a single new lens. Then ok, I am fully convinced cos you already prove me that u can live with kit lens for 6 years without buying any lens.
    Last edited by sinned79; 14th July 2010 at 01:33 PM.

  13. #53

    Default Re: Do you agree that "crazily acquiring gears" is part of growing up?

    Quote Originally Posted by sinned79 View Post
    before u ask me to shut my trap (so defensive of u!)

    Let me ask u a simple common sense question then.

    YES i did not state 1st world or 3rd world.
    But common sense tells you, if u have the $$$, would you not be buying lens later on? So common sense tells u third world country=no $$$=no chance to buy lens even if they want to so they leave with want they have (then this dun fall under by question citeria since its not that THEY DUN WANT BUT THEY CANNOT AFFORD), get the drift?

    So what's wrong with me saying u are comparing third world vs first world? Its the circumstances that they cannot upgrade wat! Not that they choose to leave with what they have.

    And you haven even answer my question:

    Just proof me wrong that you are and now u still using a kit lens (without buying any lens!) since the date u join clubsnap. If you can convinced me that during these 6 years u are still using kit lens and haven not buy a single new lens. Then ok, I am fully convinced cos you already prove me that u can live with kit lens for 6 years without buying any lens.

    my dear fren, since u admit that u did not state 1st world or 3rd world, my previous answer is then to the point and thus valid. I am not obliged to second guess whether poorer folks will or will not buy more gears if they are richer.

    and why must i prove that I am still using kit lens ? u have already lost yr case

  14. #54
    Senior Member sinned79's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    10,850

    Default Re: Do you agree that "crazily acquiring gears" is part of growing up?

    Quote Originally Posted by litechaser View Post
    my dear fren, since u admit that u did not state 1st world or 3rd world, my previous answer is then to the point and thus valid. I am not obliged to second guess whether poorer folks will or will not buy more gears if they are richer.

    and why must i prove that I am still using kit lens ? u have already lost yr case
    okies since u want to argue this way, fine then i admit i lose my case.

    anyway we have digress from the topic already. i will stop here.

  15. #55

    Default Re: Do you agree that "crazily acquiring gears" is part of growing up?

    Quote Originally Posted by sinned79 View Post
    okies since u want to argue this way, fine then i admit i lose my case.

    anyway we have digress from the topic already. i will stop here.
    steady lah brother! well done!


  16. #56

    Default Re: Do you agree that "crazily acquiring gears" is part of growing up?

    eh chillax lah bros!!

  17. #57

    Default Re: Do you agree that "crazily acquiring gears" is part of growing up?

    Gear does not indicate one's passion nor one's enjoyment of photography. Neither does the quality of gear / amount of gear a direct reflection of one's capability in taking photos although it is often believed and argued that the better gear i have, the better photographer i should be compared to the next guy.

    Different people have different priorities. There are avid photographers who invest minimal in gear but put their disposable income in a private property / investments / car. Others are happy to invest most of their disposable income in gear, live day by day, stay in a small public flat and use public transport.

    Both could be equally good and equally passionate. Most importantly, as long as you continue to take photo and explore and improve, you are in a sense of the word "growing".
    Last edited by zero o; 14th July 2010 at 04:43 PM.

  18. #58
    Member pasay's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    508

    Default Re: Do you agree that "crazily acquiring gears" is part of growing up?

    Quote Originally Posted by zero o View Post
    Gear does not indicate one's passion nor one's enjoyment of photography. Neither does the quality of gear / amount of gear a direct reflection of one's capability in taking photos although it is often believed and argued that the better gear i have, the better photographer i should be compared to the next guy.

    Different people have different priorities. There are avid photographers who invest minimal in gear but put their disposal income in a private property / investments / car. Others are happy to invest most of their disposal income in gear, live day by day, stay in a small public flat and use public transport.

    Both could be equally good and equally passionate. Most importantly, as long as you continue to take photo and explore and improve, you are in a sense of the word "growing".
    best answer i've read so far. and totally agree.

    different people have different perspectives on their own type of photography. in the end, it's HOW you enjoy your photography

  19. #59
    Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    Singapore, Singapore, Singapor
    Posts
    454

    Default Re: Do you agree that "crazily acquiring gears" is part of growing up?

    agree but cant generalize....
    just like when i first bought my car... zeng here and zeng there...

    of course not everyone is into it...
    http://www.EdmundPhoto.com
    for Weddings, Family Portraits, Executive Portraits, etc

  20. #60
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    4,195

    Default Re: Do you agree that "crazily acquiring gears" is part of growing up?

    I think leave others to think and do what they want. It is no use stereo typing people just based on their buying/spending habits. Similarly, I can say a person does not buy a lot of gears but spend it all on a Leica M9 and a couple of Leica lenses. Does it mean that he has bought lesser? Take car owners for instance. They are also constantly modifying their cars for various reasons - fitting LNG, changing to after market filters, exhaust, etc. You call them wasting money, they will rebutt they are trying to improve fuel consumptions. Some like to buy a cheap car and change everything. Others like to buy an expensive that comes with everything. Then you also have the ladies who keeps buying shoes and handbags, even though there is nothing wrong with the ones they already have. It is just consumer behavior. People do what they like to do to feel better about themselves. Furthermore photography to some is a hobby to be enjoyed. Some enjoyed shooting flowers with a macro lens, others with extension tubes, yet others with close-up filters. Some enjoyed landscape with UWA, other with pano. Some like to walkaround with a zoom, others with a prime. Is there anyone who dare say what they are doing should be the only way?

    Products are created with different market segments in mind. There is the cheap way and also the expensive way to do something. You can fly first class, business class, economy class and all will arrive at the same airport at the same time. But the flying experience differ, isn't it?
    Last edited by ManWearPants; 14th July 2010 at 09:14 PM.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •